Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times

Advertisements

"...A U.S. citizen can petition for a spouse to become a citizen in a very short period of time, around a year, so I don't think it is any big secret that a lot of people who might participate in this program are going to have a very quick path to citizenship..."

When a Republican politician wants to market their program as being better, they just make stuff up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Everyone knows the ladies are lining up for those seasonal farm workers.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
It takes much longer than a year to be a citizen. It takes At least 5 years.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
It can take over a year just to get the green card. This guy's an idiot.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It takes much longer than a year to be a citizen. It takes At least 5 years.
Senator Kyl (I typo'ed the title) is wrong. A U.S. can petition (I-601) for their illegal alien spouse, and they might (some can be inadmissible, despite being a legitimate marriage) be able to start their legal residency (almost all of the time they have to exit to their home countries) between a couple to several years later. From legal residency it can be as little as three years while married to a U.S. citizen before they can apply for naturalization.

I can't believe Senator Kyl can do a press conference so much in error...

When I attempted to contact my own (Republican) then-Senator Domenci for assistance in the legal immigration cases of my family, there was no reply to my first correspondence, a generic "Senator Domenci is stern on illegal immigration" for the second reply, and fat-fingering the petitions badly once they got involved...

Republican Senators apparently don't know much about legal immigration, or illegal immigration either...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Senator Kyl (I typo'ed the title) is wrong. A U.S. can petition (I-601) for their illegal alien spouse, and they might (some can be inadmissible, despite being a legitimate marriage) be able to start their legal residency (almost all of the time they have to exit to their home countries) between a couple to several years later. From legal residency it can be as little as three years while married to a U.S. citizen before they can apply for naturalization.

When I attempted to contact my own (Republican) then-Senator Domenci for assistance in the legal immigration cases of my family, there was no reply to my first correspondence, a generic "Senator Domenci is stern on illegal immigration" for the second reply, and fat-fingering the petitions badly once they got involved...

Republican Senators apparently don't know much about legal immigration, or illegal immigration either...
I think most of our representatives don't have a clue, with a few exceptions such as Ron Paul.
They pas bills without even reading them, much less care about this country.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:

There are lots of lies and misinformation being spread by politicians and the media. In fact, it's par for the course. So, why is this surprising?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There are lots of lies and misinformation being spread by politicians and the media. In fact, it's par for the course. So, why is this surprising?
But this the ACHIEVE program he is sponsoring. He's out of touch for what the requirements of naturalization are. Is it only "Hispandering" when the Democratic politicians do it?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
But this the ACHIEVE program he is sponsoring. He's out of touch for what the requirements of naturalization are. Is it only "Hispandering" when the Democratic politicians do it?
No, it is just that the Democrats are pros at it. The Republicans are merely amateurs.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, it is just that the Democrats are pros at it. The Republicans are merely amateurs.
Sure, because that is an amazing error to think a U.S. citizen can naturalize their spouse after a year of marriage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration