Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

The big amnesty bill seems to be losing steam in the WH and in the MSM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know a guy who's a cop in an affluent Dallas suburb, and he was required to learn rudimentary Spanish.
Yes, from what I understand there are some firefighters that have been required to learn Spanish also. Yet we are told that Hispanics are assimilating into our country. Well learning English is a part of that assimilation process, isn't it?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, from what I understand there are some firefighters that have been required to learn Spanish also. Yet we are told that Hispanics are assimilating into our country. Well learning English is a part of that assimilation process, isn't it?
Apparently not around here!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Apparently not around here!
Here is just one example. I received many hits for different areas of the U.S. requiring the same thing. The claim is that the Hispanic population is growing. Hmm, wouldn't have anything to do with illegal immigration, would it? Naw. If it doesn't then why do so many Hispanics not know English?

Indy firefighter recruits need to learn Spanish

Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Fire,ambulance, police..they all are encountering more non English speaking people.

Cannot provide help if you cannot understand what they are saying.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
I know a guy who's a cop in an affluent Dallas suburb, and he was required to learn rudimentary Spanish.
Most police and fire departments in major cities prefer their employees to be able to speak and understand basic Spanish. Several agencies in my area actually will pay for classes and after completion the employee's pay goes up due to their new job skills. Where I live, it would be almost impossible to do the job if you couldn't communicate at a basic level in Spanish.

Nativist objections aside, the simple answer is for all public schools nationwide to institute a true bilingual curriculum for all students. The days of the United States being a monolingual English-only society are over and institutions like schools and law enforcement should adapt to the changing needs of the people they serve. The younger generations would grow up bilingual and English only speakers would go the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited by Sco; 08-14-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 06:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Most police and fire departments in major cities prefer their employees to be able to speak and understand basic Spanish. Several agencies in my area actually will pay for classes and after completion the employee's pay goes up due to their new job skills. Where I live, it would be almost impossible to do the job if you couldn't communicate at a basic level in Spanish.

Nativist objections aside, the simple answer is for all public schools nationwide to institute a true bilingual curriculum for all students. The days of the United States being a monolingual English-only society are over and institutions like schools and law enforcement should adapt to the changing needs of the people they serve. The younger generations would grow up bilingual and English only speakers would go the way of the dinosaur.
Uh; it'd make more sense to have LatAm kids learn English than Spanish for American kids in the US. English is the language of money and power and Spanish; especially "Mexican" Spanish is the language of the barrio here in the US. Too; the birthrate of "Hispanic" kids is heading down to under replacement level, even in LatAm.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:

They are not over, we just need to stand firm in our conviction that if you live in a nation, learn the language.
When men cannot communicate their thoughts to each other, simply because of difference of language, all the similarity of their common human nature is of no avail to unite them in fellowship. Alexis de Tocqueville made the same point "language is perhaps the strongest, perhaps most enduring link which unites men".

Why should we have to learn another language? Is Mexico teaching their kids to speak English? What is the benefit of being a bilingual nation? none.. a common language unites us in a common culture.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Bilingual right now is only K-5.
We have issues here in Texas when Spanish speaking students enter in 6th grade and above.
For them we only have ESL/ELL.

I had a new 8th grader last year for the last 2 weeks of school that spoke no English.
Since it was so close to the end of school I was told just to let him sit in the back with one or two students translating for him. Had no clue if they translated though because the quadratic equation usually doesn't elicit lots of giggles and laughter

Basically they told me to babysit him and they will push the problem to high school to be dealt with.

It is a valid issue. We have more older students coming here that do not speak English or not very well.
It's a matter of time before we bring bilingual to 6-12.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:37 PM

Why should English go the way of the dinosaur in this country? Why not Spanish instead? We are not a Hispanic nation in identity and never were. English has always been our de facto national language. As I said, the reason Spanish is required today is because of the large number of illegal alien Spanish speakers here. We should learn Spanish to accommodate them? I don't think so!

These same people pushing Spanish in this country are the same ones who claim that Hispanics are assimilating in our country. I wish they would make up their minds which way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration