Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Moderator cut: too personal, please focus on the topic, not other members

I would rather my tax dollars go for someone's education than a veteran and their family. Nobody made them sign up to join and they get enough benefits as it is.
WTF? You think a foreign student deserves it more than someone who FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY? That's the problem with people they forget those who deserve it. I don't want to pay for a foreign student but definitely a veteran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they including this nephew are legal and law abiding why bring them up in this forum? How many lega l foreign student visas given out doesn't have to do with lawbreakers coming over with their hands out. That's not to say that government handouts to legal foreign students wouldn't be a good topic for discussion. No wonder the debt is so incredibly high.
That is the premise of this topic, even calling those on valid visas "criminals"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
WTF? You think a foreign student deserves it more than someone who FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY? That's the problem with people they forget those who deserve it. I don't want to pay for a foreign student but definitely a veteran.
If veterans are going to school full-time after their service, they have usually paid into the G.I. Bill. The VA also has programs to have veterans retrain or adjust to civilian occupations. Point is, especially in the last several years, there is a big educational safety net (and an entire government agency) for them.

Putting the focus on "foreigners" irrespective of being present on a valid visa (which is in the title of the topic, so it is specifically directed at those that are not illegal aliens) shows that this, like many other topics in this section, is not actually about illegal immigration...

Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
That is the premise of this topic, even calling those on valid visas "criminals"...

If veterans are going to school full-time after their service, they have usually paid into the G.I. Bill. The VA also has programs to have veterans retrain or adjust to civilian occupations. Point is, especially in the last several years, there is a big educational safety net (and an entire government agency) for them.

Putting the focus on "foreigners" irrespective of being present on a valid visa (which is in the title of the topic, so it is specifically directed at those that are not illegal aliens) shows that this, like many other topics in this section, is not actually about illegal immigration...
Actually many veterans recently have told me there is a move to cut benefits which is wrong. I don't want a penny to go towards a foreign student, illegal, visa or anyone else. I DEFINITELY don't want money to go towards a foreign student who only comes to study (and never paid in)or an illegal who shouldn't be here. Maybe the case could be made for a legal resident who had been here for years and paid in taxes but the other cases no way.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Actually many veterans recently have told me there is a move to cut benefits which is wrong...
The trend for veterans' benefits is that it is always growing. Do you know what the ROI is for the GI Bill? Pay in 100 dollars per month for a single year, "full-time" (12 semester hours or more) covers 36 months, at well over $1,000 per month.

Note that a veteran (or servicemember) can be a "foreigner", but still served...

Quote:
...I don't want a penny to go towards a foreign student, illegal, visa or anyone else. I DEFINITELY don't want money to go towards a foreign student who only comes to study (and never paid in)or an illegal who shouldn't be here. Maybe the case could be made for a legal resident who had been here for years and paid in taxes but the other cases no way.
As long as you are properly identifying it is "foreigners" you are railing against here, irrespective of their immigration status. My wife's nephew (all are college-educated) hasn't stayed in the United States or anything like that. I never thought that someone getting a higher education would have complaints (or labels, like calling them "criminals") here.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they including this nephew are legal and law abiding why bring them up in this forum? How many lega l foreign student visas given out doesn't have to do with lawbreakers coming over with their hands out. That's not to say that government handouts to legal foreign students wouldn't be a good topic for discussion. No wonder the debt is so incredibly high.
Agreed, and what does one's military record have to do with this topic? Yet you/we are referred as being deflectors and going off topic?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The trend for veterans' benefits is that it is always growing. Do you know what the ROI is for the GI Bill? Pay in 100 dollars per month for a single year, "full-time" (12 semester hours or more) covers 36 months, at well over $1,000 per month.

Note that a veteran (or servicemember) can be a "foreigner", but still served...
I don't have a problem with service people getting a free ride, including getting a stipend. They deserve it.

Quote:
As long as you are properly identifying it is "foreigners" you are railing against here, irrespective of their immigration status. My wife's nephew (all are college-educated) hasn't stayed in the United States or anything like that. I never thought that someone getting a higher education would have complaints (or labels, like calling them "criminals") here.
I didn't call them criminals, but anyone who comes here to attend college shouldn't get one penny from tax payers. Neither should illegals or legals unless they have been here for years (but didn't move here just to attend college).

Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Moderator cut: too personal, please focus on the topic, not other members

I would rather my tax dollars go for someone's education than a veteran and their family. Nobody made them sign up to join and they get enough benefits as it is.
Uh; vets come 1st IMHO; def over NON US citizens and very def over illegal aliens.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with service people getting a free ride, including getting a stipend. They deserve it...
The GI Bill is not provided to everyone that has served. You have to pay into the system (almost always the first year of service) to be eligible. The declaration you have made is defining however:

You are saying that in your determination, veterans (and those currently serving) are deserving of a subsidy from others (our society operates heavily in subsidies, there is no way to avoid them, or specifically pay for only exactly what you use)...

Quote:
...I didn't call them criminals, but anyone who comes here to attend college shouldn't get one penny from tax payers. Neither should illegals or legals unless they have been here for years (but didn't move here just to attend college).
And here you define "foreigners", no matter if legally present, are not deserving educational subsidies provided to citizen students, in your opinion...

Old 09-28-2013, 01:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Foreigners can be here legally. Or they might be here illegally, they are still foreigners.

Just like when I go to Mexico or Germany or China, I'm a foreigner in those countries.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:

Big difference if they're paying their own way for that higher education or mooching off the taxpayers for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration