Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times

Advertisements

In all honesty I'm going on what I've been told. I have a relative that was caught up in an imigration raid where she works. She is a legal immigrant from Portugal, as soon as she was able to provide her citizenship papers she was released. Mexican prisons have had a notorious reputation for many years. I have not been in a Mexican prison. I have been to Mexico, several times to the Yucatan Peninsula. I have lived among illegal immigrants from Mexico, El Salvadore and Guatamala. Let me be nice and just say it was hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 PM

Before anyone starts crying about racism here,... We are a multi cultural, multi ethnic family. I'm not talking about having problems with people because of WHERE they come from, but HOW they came (and stay) here.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Hate to say it but I'm almost 100% positive that Mexican jails are by far worse than American jails.
I'm not so sure about that my friend a prison is a prison

Violence and brutality in the prison system (http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/nov1998/amn-n06.shtml - broken link)

these pics are from the guantanamo prison

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-25-2007 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: didn't state source of pictures, had to delete them

Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
In all honesty I'm going on what I've been told. I have a relative that was caught up in an imigration raid where she works. She is a legal immigrant from Portugal, as soon as she was able to provide her citizenship papers she was released. Mexican prisons have had a notorious reputation for many years. I have not been in a Mexican prison. I have been to Mexico, several times to the Yucatan Peninsula. I have lived among illegal immigrants from Mexico, El Salvadore and Guatamala. Let me be nice and just say it was hell.
why was hell to live among them msina?

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Well Travelling,.. to start with they moved in their relatives, so there were 6 adults and 5 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment, on the second floor, 5 single men on the third, they threw their garbage out the windows, which drew rats, they peed in the street in front of the house and in the common hallway, they played music loud enough to hear outside (from the 3rd floor) with the windows closed, the men drank to excess and hung out in the driveway making remarks and invitations to my 14 year old foster child. They DAILY smoked dope in the common hallways, they were afflicted with roaches, instead of telling anyone, they decided to spray,.. where did the roaches go? into the other apartments. and YES the woman on the second floor told me she did this. Broken glass from beer bottles and trash they tossed from their cars littered the front of our home DAILY. The people from El Salvadore hated the mexicans, the Mexicans hated the Guatamalans and the Guatamalans hated everyone. And I did not appreciate my DH being reffered to as el negra. While the men worked the fish houses, the women told the caseworker there were no men there and got welfare because they have children. What was once a neighborhood of working class LEGAL immigrants is now a slum.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Well Travelling,.. to start with they moved in their relatives, so there were 6 adults and 5 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment, on the second floor, 5 single men on the third, they threw their garbage out the windows, which drew rats, they peed in the street in front of the house and in the common hallway, they played music loud enough to hear outside (from the 3rd floor) with the windows closed, the men drank to excess and hung out in the driveway making remarks and invitations to my 14 year old foster child. They DAILY smoked dope in the common hallways, they were afflicted with roaches, instead of telling anyone, they decided to spray,.. where did the roaches go? into the other apartments. and YES the woman on the second floor told me she did this. Broken glass from beer bottles and trash they tossed from their cars littered the front of our home DAILY. The people from El Salvadore hated the mexicans, the Mexicans hated the Guatamalans and the Guatamalans hated everyone. And I did not appreciate my DH being reffered to as el negra. While the men worked the fish houses, the women told the caseworker there were no men there and got welfare because they have children. What was once a neighborhood of working class LEGAL immigrants is now a slum.
why is it that they behave like that? honestly I live in Mexico and people isn't like this here, let me post you a post from another forum from a friend's experience in Mexico.

Quote:
I just came back from a wonderful trip at Mexico, 24 crazy hours at Ciudad de Mexico (which now I call Taco City) and 8 days @ Acapulco!

It was perfect! People are educated and the cities are much cleaner than at Brazil. I think we Brazilians should follow this example!

I recommend this trip for anyone interested at some quiet days at the beach...
Respect! .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...

LOL I guess everybody sees the grass greener on the other side, because for me Brazil is an example of neatness and order

Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
why is it that they behave like that? honestly I live in Mexico and people isn't like this here, let me post you a post from another forum from a friend's experience in Mexico.

LOL I guess everybody sees the grass greener on the other side, because for me Brazil is an example of neatness and order
Traveling fella - I have also lived by many illegals in Long Beach and Costa Mesa California, visited stores and spoken with illegals in NYC, Orlando and San Francisco.

I have never experienced any of the negative aspects with SOB illegals that we hear so much about from the American population.
Actually I have many friends who are from Honduras, El Salvidor, Peru, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico and Puerto Rico, there is no animosity at all between us, I am not sure why illegals would be any different and dislike each other? I know my mexican mother did not raise me to dislike Guatemalans!

One thing for sure, the people who come to the internet to "discuss" things are usually the ones who have some negative experience (I am also guilty of this), not trying to invalidate their experiences, but take it with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, these stories about drunk, urinating in the streets, loud music, etc...have become a mainstream stereotype for Mexicans in America.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-25-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Traveling fella - I have also lived by many illegals in Long Beach and Costa Mesa California, visited stores and spoken with illegals in NYC, Orlando and San Francisco.

I have never experienced any of the negative aspects with SOB illegals, that we hear so much about from the American population.
Actually I have many friends who are from Honduras, El Salvidor, Peru, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico and Puerto Rico, there is no animosity at all between us, I am not sure why illegals would be any different.

One thing for sure, the people who come to internet to "discuss" things are usually the ones who have some negative experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, these stories have become a mainstream stereotype for Mexicans in America.
It'd be nice to go and live with an illegal family, or in a neighboorhood full of illegal immigrants and see what it's like, maybe it's fun!

I've met several illegal immigrants in Mexico and in Brazil too, and they aren't what I read in the posts here about bringing disease, crime, and all that stuff, I don't know about those who go to America, but I doubt they are any different.

Just imagine, I live in Mexico, I know how it really is, if it were true all what people says about immigrants, I'd be with TB by now, or at least someone I knew would have contracted it, or we would have been robbed, or raped, or all those things, but no! nothing like that has ever happened, some people do live crammed though, specially in the poorest areas.

Honestly I don't know why people emigrates, we have a great country which had and has her problems, but is getting better everyday, life is hard everywhere, and honestly imho it must be much harder to be an illegal immigrant than to have a low paying job here, the problem is that people who lives in very poor and isolated towns, think that their dreams will come true in the USA instead of trying to go to Monterrey, or Puebla, or Mexico city or San Luis, etc, they go to America, I remember that once we were touring Oaxaca and stopped into a very tiny town to buy some things and the locals thought we were Americans LOL

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-25-2007 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
It'd be nice to go and live with an illegal family, or in a neighboorhood full of illegal immigrants and see what it's like, maybe it's fun!

I've met several illegal immigrants in Mexico and in Brazil too, and they aren't what I read in the posts here about bringing disease, crime, and all that stuff, I don't know about those who go to America, but I doubt they are any different
It would be an interesting study man: come here legally, but act like you are here illegally. Experience life as an illegal, see how you are treated, see the stereotypes, see if you really can get all of these benefits, talk to illegals, see what they think of Americans, go to day labor camps with hidden cameras, experience an ICE raid...

Would it be illegal, to be legal, but act illegal...I would imagine if you didn't use fake documents you would be ok.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It would be an interesting study man: come here legally, but act like you are here illegally. Experience life as an illegal, see how you are treated, see the stereotypes, see if you really can get all of these benefits, talk to illegals, see what they think of Americans, go to day labor camps with hidden cameras, experience an ICE raid...

Would it be illegal, to be legal, but act illegal?
Awww, those poor widdle souls...bringing all that down upon themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration