Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times

Advertisements

Many of the illegal immigrants are from poor rural areas. Cinderblock houses without windows, doors, or running water are common. Trash is dumped in piles, and livestock often share the living areas.
Travellin,.. Thanks for the pics of Brazil, I have distant family there that immigrated from Portugal. I know a young woman that spent a year there as an exchange student from Colby College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Many of the illegal immigrants are from poor rural areas. Cinderblock houses without windows, doors, or running water are common. Trash is dumped in piles, and livestock often share the living areas.
Travellin,.. Thanks for the pics of Brazil, I have distant family there that immigrated from Portugal. I know a young woman that spent a year there as an exchange student from Colby College.

And many immigrants from ellis island were in similar conditions.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
And many immigrants from ellis island were in similar conditions.
Yes, that may be true, but they were here to get AWAY from that culture, not to REPLICATE it in their new land. 2 key concepts missing from your analogy though - LEGAL and ASSIMILATE.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yes, that may be true, but they were here to get AWAY from that culture, not to REPLICATE it in their new land. 2 key concepts missing from your analogy though - LEGAL and ASSIMILATE.
The first settlers came here of cowardice (I believe thats how people are saying it towards illegals), they did not confront their issues. They were being persecuted because of their religion, so they just got up and left. Not to replicate their land? What about New Spain? New France? New England?!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
The first settlers came here of cowardice (I believe thats how people are saying it towards illegals), they did not confront their issues. They were being persecuted because of their religion, so they just got up and left. Not to replicate their land? What about New Spain? New France? New England?!
New Jersey!?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
New Jersey!?
Again, was apart of France.

Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where the hell do you think we got the louisiana territory from? FRANCE! called NEW FRANCE!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
My great-grandfather (a LEGAL immigrant) escaped far, FAR worse in what is now Poland than any Mexican faces. Mexico is a paradise compared to what eastern Europe was in the early 1900s.

Cowardice? I wish he was still alive so you could say that to his face. :Moderator cut: no personal attacks.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
My great-grandfather (a LEGAL immigrant) escaped far, FAR worse in what is now Poland than any Mexican faces. Mexico is a paradise compared to what eastern Europe was in the early 1900s.

Cowardice? I wish he was still alive so you could say that to his face. You don't know what you're talking about.

I never said all, Europeans. I said the 'first settlers'.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Again, was apart of France.

Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where the hell do you think we got the louisiana territory from? FRANCE! called NEW FRANCE!
The Isle of Jersey is a British territory off the coast of France. It is not part of France.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
I never said all, Europeans. I said the 'first settlers'.
They were escaping persecution...so was he. What's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration