Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM

9 posts, read 14,314 times

Advertisements

It seems the battle over rhetoric is being won by the pro-amnesty crowd. Combine immigration, both legal and illegal, under one umbrella. Shift the focus away from the rules, and put the focus on un-American xenophobia. That those who are against illegal immigration are against immigration. And the anti-amnesty crowd is allowing the extremists to speak for them. These extremists sometimes have an extremely hostile, xenophobic tone that plays right into the hands of the pro-amnesty's campaign of confusion and dilution.

Thoughts? Perhaps I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
We have laws in this country regarding immigration, you follow the laws and then you become an American Citizen, you crawl over a fence in the middle of the night DOES NOT give you the permission to seek legal immigration status. Just how confusing it that. If that was the case we could limit a lot of problems by having our boarder patrol handing out voter cards to every illegal they meet and giving them a welcome basket, saying Welcome To America, your just in time for the election.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
In one word, yes. Another tactic they use is using PC terms such as "udocumented immigrant,worker,citizen' ,etc. to not call attention to them actually being illegal aliens.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRIDI View Post
It seems the battle over rhetoric is being won by the pro-amnesty crowd. Combine immigration, both legal and illegal, under one umbrella. Shift the focus away from the rules, and put the focus on un-American xenophobia. That those who are against illegal immigration are against immigration. And the anti-amnesty crowd is allowing the extremists to speak for them. These extremists sometimes have an extremely hostile, xenophobic tone that plays right into the hands of the pro-amnesty's campaign of confusion and dilution.

Thoughts? Perhaps I am wrong.
Who are the "extremists" here? The pro amnesty people of the ones who DON'T believe in amnesty for illegal aliens?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Who are the "extremists" here? The pro amnesty people of the ones who DON'T believe in amnesty for illegal aliens?
Obviously the extremists are the people asking for illegals to obey our country's laws.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM

138 posts, read 328,388 times
The battle will inevitable be won by the pro amnesty crowd. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
The battle will inevitable be won by the pro amnesty crowd. It's not a matter of if, but when.
I don't think so since Obama still CAN'T get amnesty through and he's been the POTUS for 5 years now.

IMHO things will get worse, MUCH worse for illegal aliens since more and more Americans are going to matters into their own hands.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't think so since Obama still CAN'T get amnesty through and he's been the POTUS for 5 years now.
This should tell you quite a bit. Because the pro-illegals are vocal and because they have great access to the media, you would think their numbers are large. Realstically though, they aren't as big as you'd think and actually passing any sort of amnesty in this climate would be political suicide, particularly for the Republicans but even for the Dems. This is why Obama gave the issue about 20 seconds in his SOU address and why the issue was rated second to last in a poll asking which issues it was important for the President to address in his speech.

I don't see an amnesty passing in this kind of an economy. What concerns me though is when the economy improves. Americans proved pretty adept at looking the other way on this issue between 1986 and 2006, when the economy was strong. I think they could have gotten an amnesty passed at any point during this time period had someone pushed hard enough with only moderate political backlash.

My prediction is that both parties will try to keep it floating above water by giving it lip service and apparent action (i.e. draft bills and proposals) to appease the voting blocks which support it, and to gauge public resistence to the issue. They can also use the opportunity to test certain components of an amnesty and decide their future action based on reaction. Then, when the economy improves and resistence softens up enough, they'll try to ram something through that contains the least controversial provisions and ones that may mitigate opposition (such as secure border, eVerify, mandatory English classes, oath to 'Murica, what have you).

Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM

20 posts, read 34,218 times
This issues pisses me off to no end. There are existing laws on the books regarding immigration. The POTUS swore to up-hold the laws and constitution of the U.S.A., hmmm, don't see that happening. Look at Sanctuary Cities, how in the ^&%%$ do they get off harboring criminals???

Now if congress wants to change the existing laws re: immigration then by all means let them have at it but in the mean time enforce the existing laws.

P.S. get off my lawn!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrizTX View Post
This issues pisses me off to no end. There are existing laws on the books regarding immigration. The POTUS swore to up-hold the laws and constitution of the U.S.A., hmmm, don't see that happening. Look at Sanctuary Cities, how in the ^&%%$ do they get off harboring criminals???

Now if congress wants to change the existing laws re: immigration then by all means let them have at it but in the mean time enforce the existing laws.

P.S. get off my lawn!!!
Agree with you but you have to acknowledge that the American public let this go on to the point where we are now. As long as it wasn't in their backyard and jobs were plentiful they were fine with it. There are now several political factors at play which stand in the way for real solution - including 20 million potential voters. I'm not excusing our politicians by the public has to start demanding more accountability on this issue, and not just when the unemployment rate rises over a certain percentage either. Problem is people can't think long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration