Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,519,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is it unfair to focus on those who make up the majority of the offenders? How is this racist? If the problem were canadians would we still be talking race?
I am for stopping all illegals. I don't care what the race is. I also know that the lion share of illegals are crossing our southern border. It only makes sense to concentrate there first.
If you are in a row boat thats sinking do you plug the big hole that is flooding the boat first or worry about the paint thats chipping?
That's good that you don't care what the race is. Plug the big holes, fix the problem, but it was asked why there is an element of race here and I am saying it is because we put too much focus on labeling this an Mexican invasion rather than making it a problem of sovereignty.
It could have been handled much more tactfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I too can agree to that... But lets not forget that Mexico is by far the worst offender.
Who cares about blaming? Fix the problem is what I am saying, stop all the blame we don't need it.

Not every problem is solved by using the Bulls Horns, we as Americans have lost the art of finesse. Actually Bill Clinton had it, but a little too much .

Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That's good that you don't care what the race is. Plug the big holes, fix the problem, but it was asked why there is an element of race here and I am saying it is because we put too much focus on labeling this an invasion rather than making it a problem of sovereignty.
I agree. Mach 50 there is hope for us all. What confuses me is why is it the common man can find common ground and those professional politicians can't? Is it so hard to find compromise? Its not when your first priority is doing whats right for your country, and not how will this help me get reelected.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I agree. Mach 50 there is hope for us all. What confuses me is why is it the common man can find common ground and those professional politicians can't? Is it so hard to find compromise? Its not when your first priority is doing whats right for your country, and not how will this help me get reelected.

Oh man you hit that out of the park. Good question.

However, by reading this article you can see that Politicians are being forced to pick a side and they must take a hard-lined side too. It appears we are beyond the point of common sense.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Who cares about blaming? Fix the problem is what I am saying, stop all the blame we don't need it.

Not every problem is solved by using the Bulls Horns.
HMMM its not about blame..... Its about prioritizing.. Bring focus to where the most damage is happening first, lock it down and move on. Its basic trouble shooting.
If a machine I am running is failing. I first break it down to whats most critical. Fix it, move on to next problem. In this case our border with mexico is the worst problem, it requires attention the most. That simple. I don't blame sks for the bearing that failed. I note that its an sks bearing and replace it. I dont nessasarily even need to know why it failed. I do need to get the machine running at optimum again. After its running I will take the time to understand why it failed. I normally find out why during the repair. Its not about blame.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,118 times
Quote:
I too can agree to that... But lets not forget that Mexico is by far the worst offender.
As I've said before many times, it's a matter of "opportunism". Mexico is the "worst offender" because it's HERE, and so are WE. If Mexico bordered on China, it wouldn't be "exporting" its people, because China wouldn't allow them in. And where the US borders on Canada, it's not "taking in" illegals, because Canadians are wealthy.

Illegal immigration (here) is mostly a function of the HUGE income disparity, combined with geographic "nearness". Take away either one, and it wouldn't be occurring.

If we were next door to India, IT would be the "worst offender". I realize that's a lot of "ifs"---but its something to consider---by BOTH sides. Mexico isn't a particularly poor or desperate country. It just has a convenient "neighbor" that it relies on. And US business has a pool of very eager workers that IT relies on....not "picky" like the locals are ! It's a very complex situation, with lots of temptation to "cheat" on both sides of the issue.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Oh man you hit that out of the park. Good question.

However, by reading this article you can see that Politicians are being forced to pick a side and they must take a hard-lined side too. It appears we are beyond the point of common sense.
It is a position they themselves have created though. Their inactivity, slow reactions, and flip flopping have created all of this. Back to the machine analogy. The bearing is failing. Should I fix it? Should I pretend not to notice and maybe it will go away? Its best to start the repair now before I damage more of the machine. In this case they used what I call the hope and pray method. I hope and pray if I do nothing it will just go away.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,511,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Are the candidates living in a bubble somewhere?

"I honestly don't know why it's gotten so hot."

"During the 1990s, I cannot remember being asked about immigration... Why? Because the economy was working... And average Americans didn't have to go around looking for someone to blame."

Gee....could it be because the number of illegals has increased dramatically since the 90's, and the toll they're taking on our country has increased to the point of being out of control?????
You've got that right! I really resent their silly responses. Makes the US citizens look like a bunch of petty people looking for someone to take blame.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,355,295 times
Just go to youtube.com enter immigration gumballs and watch 9minutes of explanation for WHY this issue is so drastically important.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Hard to hold big business accountable when the left insists on making it illegal for businesses to require proof of legal status..
Normally we are on the same page............just that here in Arizona many of the 'business' types are screaming at the thought of losing their business licenses @ the second offence of knowingly hiring an illegal immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration