Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,395 times

Advertisements

Alright, we've "discussed" here a million times how bad illegal aliens are, how much of a danger they are for America and how they all should be deported en masse right now.

As a LEGAL immigrant and proud American myself, I am annoyed by those who come here illegally, disregarding the laws and avoiding the system. They not only settle here with no papers, but they don't learn English and refuse to integrate in the American way of life.

Who wants Main Street, America transformed into a cheap version of Tijuana? I don't! I came to America to be an American!

At the same time, I am well aware of how privileged I am to be here. I chose to live here. My wife is an American.

Those Mexicans who cross the border and enter our great country illegally have a different story to tell, and I've got to think about it.

We call them names, show the destruction they cause. But who are they? Why do they do it?

If they could, they would stay in Mexico. But they have to feed to their families and need better jobs to earn enough money. They can't get a green card, so they risk their lives crossing the desert and lose their money paying a coyote to smuggle them over the river.

It's easy for us in our cozy homes to cuss at those illegal Mexicans. But they are humans too. Humans with human needs. They are not crossing the border for fun, but for survival.

So I want to ask you all: What would you do?

Would you stay in Mexico and starve yourself and your family because you want to respect the laws and not cross illegally to where the jobs and the money are?

Or would you break the law and come to America in order to provide for you and your family?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 PM

606 posts, read 698,812 times
Everyone wants to survive.
if I were Mexican,I would immigrate to U.S illegally if I can't do it legal.
if I were American,I would push illegal immigrants back.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Alright, we've "discussed" here a million times how bad illegal aliens are, how much of a danger they are for America and how they all should be deported en masse right now.

As a LEGAL immigrant and proud American myself, I am annoyed by those who come here illegally, disregarding the laws and avoiding the system. They not only settle here with no papers, but they don't learn English and refuse to integrate in the American way of life.

Who wants Main Street, America transformed into a cheap version of Tijuana? I don't! I came to America to be an American!

At the same time, I am well aware of how privileged I am to be here. I chose to live here. My wife is an American.

Those Mexicans who cross the border and enter our great country illegally have a different story to tell, and I've got to think about it.

We call them names, show the destruction they cause. But who are they? Why do they do it?

If they could, they would stay in Mexico. But they have to feed to their families and need better jobs to earn enough money. They can't get a green card, so they risk their lives crossing the desert and lose their money paying a coyote to smuggle them over the river.

It's easy for us in our cozy homes to cuss at those illegal Mexicans. But they are humans too. Humans with human needs. They are not crossing the border for fun, but for survival.

Would you stay in Mexico and starve yourself and your family because you want to respect the laws and not cross illegally to where the jobs and the money are?

Or would you break the law and come to America in order to provide for you and your family?
Great thread. Can't give you reps until I "spread it around" some more.

Yes, I'd do the same thing they're doing. However, it was up to us to start pushing them back LONG ago before we ended up with this problem. We have an issue now that we have to deal with, in a socially responsible manner. We can't just "send them back" at this point.

The time to do that passed 30 years ago.

~T

Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 PM

178 posts, read 416,510 times
Did you ever stop to think about all of the Mexicans who DON"T come to America, and do just fine? They have homes, cars, doctors, food, clothes, televisions, telephones, computers etc. Yep, they actually have electricity in Mexico.

The reason these illegals who are breaking into OUR country to work cheap, is because THEY CAN'T HACK IT IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY. That is why they are poison to our country. We get Mexico's needy people. Mexico keeps the people who are not a drain on their society, we get those who are.

These illegals are not coming to America to ask what they can do for our country. They are coming to America to ask what America can do for them. And I am tired of it. They are flat out trashing this country!

THESE PEOPLE BREAKING IN HERE, ARE NOT STARVING! I HAVE YET TO SEE A STARVING ILLEGAL JUMPING OVER THE BORDER.

They are the lower class. The quickest way to success for them, instead of getting an education in their own country, is to break into our country, and undercut our working class citizens, and drain OUR social services. Not to mention they put themselves ABOVE those who are immigrating legally, and shove them out of the line.

What would I do? I would stay in my own country and learn to make a descent living just like all of the other Mexicans who live and work in Mexico, who manage to feed and clothe their own families.

If the illegal aliens want to become a legal American citizen bad enough, I am sure they can figure out how.

OH, AND BY THE WAY......THE SOLUTION........
ENFORCE THE IMMIGRATION LAWS ALREADY ON OUR BOOKS. STOP ALL SOCIAL SERVICE HANDOUTS. If we STOP rewarding them for their illegal behavior they will simply FLEE home to their own country where they can afford to live.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
I would do anything to provide for my family.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,697 times
So you would:
...break Federal statutes of another country just because it wasn't your original country to provide for your family?
...break any and all laws to provide for your family?
...clobber another human being over the head to steal something for your family?
...rob a bank to provide for your family?
...murder another human being to provide for your family?

Have you already done these things "for your family?" Why not? You could be a far richer provider as a total career-criminal with no thought to any other human being outside your family!! Where is it supposed to stop, once you've started rationalizing U.S. laws away to suit your own selfish needs, even if you've stated it's for your family? If you're inventing "compassion" as an excuse, when does it start for anyone outside of your family? This is 2007, not the Dark Ages where you plunder anyone around you as your only recourse.

Illegals "rob Peter to pay Paul," with themselves being Paul, insofar as poor and working poor American citizens are taxed to provide for their services, services that we ourselves will never ever get. Illegals depress wages, and incubate violent gangs as part of the "laws don't apply to us" mentality. In real (read low income to middle class) non-rich areas, illegals' attitude towards us citizens here, both born and naturalized, spans resenting to despising. Face the truth, illegals have zero compassion for anyone else in the United States, only their own. I live with them and I know.

Last edited by fastfilm; 04-07-2007 at 11:13 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
So you would:
...break Federal statutes of another country just because it wasn't your original country to provide for your family?
...break any and all laws to provide for your family?
...clobber another human being over the head to steal something for your family?
...rob a bank to provide for your family?
...murder another human being to provide for your family?

Have you already done these things "for your family?" Why not? You could be a far richer provider as a total career-criminal with no thought to any other human neing outside your family!! Where is it supposed to stop, once you've started rationalizing U.S. laws away to suit your own selfish needs, even if you've stated it's for your family? If you're inventing "compassion" as an excuse, when does it start for anyone outside of your family? This is 2007, not the Dark Ages where you plunder anyone around you. Face the truth, illegals have zero compassion for anyone in the United States, only themselves.
AMEN!!! Well stated!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,088,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post

It's not true about starving Mexicans, they are not refugees and when they cross here they are not skeletal. Dafur is starving, not Mexicans...who come here to get a better life with more material possessions; better work, better pay, extra money to send home to their relatives, better schools, better medical, welfare, better prisons, citizenship for their children and themselves, the American dream. We are not buying the exuse of starvation anymore! What you don't speak of is how Americans are not able to have their own home and increased numbers are on the streets....in other words illegals continue to make Americans poorer. A modest rent in L.A. is now $1500 mo. and a 7% increase on this amount for all rentals was just announced. You would do well to tell Mexicans to stay in Mexico.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 PM

People, please be careful of questions/surveys, your answer might be sent to Washington along with millions to prove a point. Immigration is on the table this year we all know.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Great thread. Can't give you reps until I "spread it around" some more.

Yes, I'd do the same thing they're doing. However, it was up to us to start pushing them back LONG ago before we ended up with this problem. We have an issue now that we have to deal with, in a socially responsible manner. We can't just "send them back" at this point.

The time to do that passed 30 years ago.

~T
?Can't give you reps until I spread it around some more?

We certainly CAN send them back, and Kele mentioned that Eisenhower and Hoover managed to send millions on planes. Don't let anyone tell you that we cannot send illegals back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.