Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:44 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,678,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I too live in a border state. I can recognize that I cannot make such an assumption because I don't know any facts. Seeing and assuming are two very different things.
You live in a sanctuary city in Northern Cali. I lived in Phoenix, I SAW it alot!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,544,544 times
I found this statement in the article interesting:

"Fertility rates often rise among immigrants who leave their homelands for a better life. For example, the rate among Mexican-born women in the U.S. is 3.2, but the overall rate for Mexico is just 2.4, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, a Washington-based research organization."

I have to assume that "immigrants who leave their homelands for a better life" is a PC code for illegal aliens.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Take a look at Texas

Pinkerton: 'Border baby' boom strains South Texas
More illegal immigrants are pouring into the state to give birth

By James Pinkerton - The Houston Chronicle

Four babies and counting....
RIO GRANDE CITY, Texas — First it was a trickle, now it's a flood.

Rising numbers of undocumented immigrants from Mexico and Central America are streaming into Texas to give birth, straining hospitals and costing taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars, health officials say.

Doctors and health officials say they are overwhelmed by both the new arrivals and those immigrant mothers who already are in the state. Even Houston's feeling the pinch. An estimated 70 percent to 80 percent of the 10,587 births at Ben Taub General Hospital and Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital last year were to undocumented immigrants, administrators say.

Also feeling the strain is Starr County, an already poor South Texas county that has the region's only taxpayer-supported hospital district.

Immigrants "want a U.S.-born baby" and know that emergency room staffers don't collect any money up front, said Dr. Mario Rodriguez, an obstetrician in Starr County.

"The word is out: Come to Starr County and get delivered for free. Why pay $1,000 in Mexico when you can get it for free?" Rodriguez said.

''When we are separated only by the distance of the river, it's easy to do," Starr County hospital administrator Thalia Muñoz said. "It's gotten worse, and it's because the economy in Mexico is not good and because we provide all these benefits." .....

Federal Observer Articles - Federal Observer

Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM

These are figures from 2004 in California. Most likely, the percentage is even higher today.

Report: 40 percent of county's Medi-Cal births to illegal immigrants

{By: Will Bennett}

NORTH COUNTY ---- A state report quietly released last spring shows illegal immigrants made up the largest single group of those giving birth at taxpayer expense in the state and in San Diego County in 2004.

The May report, "Medi-Cal Funded Deliveries," states that of the 14,350 taxpayer-funded births in the county that year, 5,814, or 40.5 percent, were to illegal immigrants. That is an 18 percent increase over the 4,916 Medi-Cal-funded deliveries to illegal immigrants in San Diego County in 2001, as shown in an earlier state report.

On Friday morning, Vista resident Silvia stopped to talk with a visitor as she headed into the Vista Community Clinic with her 1-year-old son in her arms and her 4-year-old son in tow. The 24-year-old woman said in Spanish that she is an illegal immigrant and has lived in the United States for 10 years. She spoke on the condition that her last name not be published.

Silvia, a native of Oaxaca, Mexico, said Medi-Cal paid labor and delivery costs for both of her children, and added that she is frustrated that now she has to pay for their medical care and that she expected Friday's doctor visit to cost her $35. ......

Report: 40 percent of county's Medi-Cal births to illegal immigrants{By: Will Bennett} (http://www.house.gov/list/speech/ca50_bilbray/07012007.html - broken link)

Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Excerpts from a North Carolina report

Illegal Immigrant Births Top List For Emergency Medicaid Health Care Spending – Immigration - 1 Percent Of Medicaid Budget

(Best Syndication) The vast majority of government-money spent on emergency care for illegal immigrants is used to pay for childbirth and pregnancy related complications for women without insurance. Researchers in North Carolina evaluated the state spending on Medicaid for the years 2001 to 2004.

The researchers are concerned that since Medicaid only pays for emergency care, the overall cost to the taxpayer could be more.

Just over 95 percent of all Emergency Medicaid patients were women, 89 percent were between 18 and 40 years old and 93 percent were Hispanic. Over 99 percent of the patients were “undocumented immigrants”. The federal General Accounting Office (GAO) reports that states with high immigration rates, such as North Carolina, have seen a rapid rise in Emergency Medicaid costs.

A small proportion of emergency care was provided for non-childbirth related emergencies. About 83 percent of spending and 91 percent of hospitalizations were the result of childbirth and pregnancy complications. Other reasons for emergency care and subsequent hospitalization include kidney failure, appendicitis and gallbladder disease. Other reasons for hospitalization for patients over the age of 40 included stroke, congestive heart failure and heart attack.....

Illegal Immigrant Births Top List For Emergency Medicaid Health Care Spending – Immigration - 1 Percent Of Medicaid Budget | Best Syndication

Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Do we think the Illegal Alien invasion could have a lot to do with this?
No, I think the oh so successful abstinence only education and its proponents bear the responsibility.

Also in the article:
Teen birth rate on rise
But the higher fertility rate isn’t all good. Last month, the CDC reported that America’s teen birth rate rose for the first time in 15 years.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
You assume they have more kids thats whats wrong. .
The Arizona Department of Health have said that that illegal immigrant birth rates are higher

Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,954,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The Arizona Department of Health have said that that illegal immigrant birth rates are higher
Source??????

Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,108,333 times
The next time I go to the emergency room for service I am going to tell them a lie and say I am homeless that way I will get my bill payed for by the tax payers. If our Government have taken the stand to give out freebies I am going jump on the bandwagon.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
No, I think the oh so successful abstinence only education and its proponents bear the responsibility.

Also in the article:
Teen birth rate on rise
But the higher fertility rate isn’t all good. Last month, the CDC reported that America’s teen birth rate rose for the first time in 15 years.
Could this not possibly have to do with millions of illegal immigrants joining our society from a country where the age of consent is 12 and being a teenage mother of 2-3 children is not at all uncommon? Is a culture where being a teenage mother is perfectly acceptable not having an influence on American teenage girls? Maybe or maybe not......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration