Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:38 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,906,196 times

Advertisements

BTW I do feel First Ladies should speak fluent English. Yes the days of being quiet are long gone. Wasn't she the one who got in trouble for smuggling jewelry into the country instead of paying the fine? This idea that it's okay she speaks Spanish because of a growing Hispanic population (courtesy of criminals who shouldn't be here) is offensive.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:42 AM

22,503 posts, read 12,049,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Spanish is a beautiful language spoken by beautiful people. I suggest you broaden your horizons a bit. I was once like you, railing against anything foreign and not English speaking. Then I realized that times have changed, the nation has changed. Demographics is destiny and we can't beat destiny.

Perhaps someday I will make a post on why and how I have evolved from a firebreathing Tea Party militant into a moderate 21st Century Republican.
There are lots of "beautiful languages" in this world. This thread isn't about other Americans and learning a second language. It's about a candidate for president who has a wife that's been in this country for 40 years and still isn't fluent in English.

So, when it comes to illegal immigration, you think that we should lie down, roll over and play dead thus surrender? We should all force ourselves to become fluent in Spanish just to accommodate Hispanic illegal aliens? H*ll no! They come here, they need to learn English as it is the language that binds us all. That said, no one is against learning other languages. However, a person should study another language because s/he wants to learn---not because it's forced on them to accommodate people who have no business being here.

Expecting those who want to live here to learn English does NOT make one a "firebreathing [sic] Tea Party militant".

Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM

39,278 posts, read 27,677,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

So keep in mind that this is a Republican standard, and she's not meeting it.
That's right.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,424,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
No, (s)he isn't. It's pretty much a well known fact that she's not fluent in English.

Same here.

You have got to be kidding? You really think it's OK if the First Lady of the United States doesn't speak English fluently?
Sure. We have already had a bunch of First Ladies who weren't fluent in English, and it was their native tongue.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure. We have already had a bunch of First Ladies who weren't fluent in English, and it was their native tongue.
Which first ladies were not fluent?

Old 06-07-2015, 02:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Which first ladies were not fluent?
That's what i wanna know.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,762,176 times
Come to think of it, although Jeb was governor of my state, I actually do not remember ever seeing Columbia being interviewed in English. Ever. Not on tv, not in print, not online. So, maybe it's true that despite all her years of living in the USA, she probably speaks English poorly.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Come to think of it, although Jeb was governor of my state, I actually do not remember ever seeing Columbia being interviewed in English. Ever. Not on tv, not in print, not online. So, maybe it's true that despite all her years of living in the USA, she probably speaks English poorly.
Probably.

Look, it doesn't make her a bad person, but the Bush's will have an extremely hard time explaining why the wife of a wealthy Republican politician can't speak English well after 40 years in this country. The Republican standard (supposedly) is to assimilate quickly, and they've left no doubt that learning the language is a huge part of that assimilation. Simply put, they can't give her a pass on it.

There isn't an English tutor in America that she can't afford, and she doesn't have to hold a job. She could do an English immersion class in a year and have the language down pat.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
She only speaks Spanish at home and articles said she did interview with the Spanish stations on TV.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,928,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Probably.

Look, it doesn't make her a bad person, but the Bush's will have an extremely hard time explaining why the wife of a wealthy Republican politician can't speak English well after 40 years in this country. The Republican standard (supposedly) is to assimilate quickly, and they've left no doubt that learning the language is a huge part of that assimilation. Simply put, they can't give her a pass on it.

There isn't an English tutor in America that she can't afford, and she doesn't have to hold a job. She could do an English immersion class in a year and have the language down pat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
She only speaks Spanish at home and articles said she did interview with the Spanish stations on TV.
If the MSM ran with THAT story; that could kill Jeb's chances for the Repub nomination right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.