Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:18 PM

8,482 posts, read 6,886,522 times

Advertisements

Jeb seems like a decent guy with a fairly moderate political philosophy. It's really no business of anyone whether or not his wife chooses to mostly speak her native language. The problem is that if he does run a lot of people especially those on the extreme right of the Republican party will make it an issue large enough to cause real problems.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:23 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
What I'm really enjoying on this thread is all the very many links which ascertain that she only speaks Spanish at home, that she's a poor English speaker, among other accusations.

The reading of all those links is enlightening.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What I'm really enjoying on this thread is all the very many links which ascertain that she only speaks Spanish at home, that she's a poor English speaker, among other accusations.

The reading of all those links is enlightening.
Here's one:
Quote:
Columba Bush, long and awkward presence in the Bush family, speaks English haltingly and has rarely joined her husband on political stages. When Jeb became governor, she spent less time in the capital of Tallahassee than she did in their home near Miami, where the family, including Jeb, all spoke Spanish.
Jeb Bush’s Complicated Legacy -- New York Magazine

Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Thank you. That's the first one, I believe.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
I don't care what language she does or doesn't speak. But it does my shriveled little heart good to see Republicans fighting about it

Old 06-07-2015, 06:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If the MSM ran with THAT story; that could kill Jeb's chances for the Repub nomination right there.
I don't know...it's hard to say IMO.

But it is a Republican standard, and there's no getting around that fact. If she doesn't know English, that's one helluva problem when she's been here 40 years. It's inexplicable. If he's at the top of any ticket with a wife that can't speak English after 40 years in this country, the Republicans will flat out lose all moral authority on the topic of immigration, and there's no getting around it. And immigration is one of the big topics that the Republicans definitely poll pretty well on with their base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Jeb seems like a decent guy with a fairly moderate political philosophy. It's really no business of anyone whether or not his wife chooses to mostly speak her native language. The problem is that if he does run a lot of people especially those on the extreme right of the Republican party will make it an issue large enough to cause real problems.
What it does is remove the Republican's ability to assume the moral high ground of the immigration debate, and that's a huge part of their platform.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL..this isn't a GOTCHA situation. Someone in her position should speak perfect English. She's been here for nearly 40 years.

It also goes to the point that Republicans, a party that she surely belongs to, consistently complain about these ethnic enclaves where English isn't needed, and where the people refuse to assimilate.

So keep in mind that this is a Republican standard, and she's not meeting it.

Man I do not like to agree with you LOL but on occasions when your right, your right.

No different then Hispanics I know who have been in this Country for more then 20 plus years, and it is either the wife or husband or both who speak very little English. But the kids do translate. Never understood this.

If your going to live in this Country, please learn our language, no matter who you are. Speak your native tongue, I do not care, but learn English.

I taught myself Italian, and I am bonded to my Nationality as the next person, love everything Italian, even the gangster movies.

But I believe that Jeb's wife ought to know fluent English by now.

ciao

Old 06-07-2015, 07:49 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There are lots of "beautiful languages" in this world. This thread isn't about other Americans and learning a second language. It's about a candidate for president who has a wife that's been in this country for 40 years and still isn't fluent in English.

So, when it comes to illegal immigration, you think that we should lie down, roll over and play dead thus surrender? We should all force ourselves to become fluent in Spanish just to accommodate Hispanic illegal aliens? H*ll no! They come here, they need to learn English as it is the language that binds us all. That said, no one is against learning other languages. However, a person should study another language because s/he wants to learn---not because it's forced on them to accommodate people who have no business being here.

Expecting those who want to live here to learn English does NOT make one a "firebreathing [sic] Tea Party militant".
Excellent post. Thank you!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Man I do not like to agree with you LOL but on occasions when your right, your right.

No different then Hispanics I know who have been in this Country for more then 20 plus years, and it is either the wife or husband or both who speak very little English. But the kids do translate. Never understood this.

If your going to live in this Country, please learn our language, no matter who you are. Speak your native tongue, I do not care, but learn English.

I taught myself Italian, and I am bonded to my Nationality as the next person, love everything Italian, even the gangster movies.

But I believe that Jeb's wife ought to know fluent English by now.

ciao
What's wrong with you Conservatives with the whole "i don't like to agree with you" mindset?

SMH...that's a ridiculous stance to have. You WANT people to post things that you disagree with so that you can be disputatious, or because you don't like them....although they're people that you don't even know?

Right wingers...i swear. You folks are something else.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know...it's hard to say IMO.

But it is a Republican standard, and there's no getting around that fact. If she doesn't know English, that's one helluva problem when she's been here 40 years. It's inexplicable.
It's commonplace. And it's perfectly understandable in Columba Bush's case. Becoming fluent in a second language as an adult is hard, and with a rich husband who likes to speak Spanish, she simply hasn't had a compelling reason to put in that kind of effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration