Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times

Advertisements

The cost of illegals to this nation is a hot topic and rightly so. Estimates vary widely and for a good reason. We have the costs of incarceration for illegals. We have the costs of providing education and the additional requirements for students who are non-english speakers. We have the costs of dealing with uninsured unlicensed drivers. We have the costs of providing school lunches, medical care, legal services etc. Then we have the costs of providing welfare to their children born on our soil.
Then we have the costs that are nearly impossible to quantify. What are the costs of stolen ID? What are the costs of American citizens displaced by illegals who work for much less? Do all these displaced American workers simply find another job the next day or do they end up on welfare? What are the costs of the victims of violent crimes committed by illegals?
Yes Illegal immigration is a huge problem in this country. The answer isn't to lower our standards and allow anyone in who wants a better life just because it feels good.
This isn't the early 1900's. We produce enough low skilled and undereducated people on our own. We as a country have the right to be as selective as we deem appropriate based on our needs. We absolutely owe no debt to the illegals or any applicant for an immigration VISA. It is not their right to come here simply because they want to. It is outrageous that our elected reps seem to feel that the needs of illegals outweigh the needs of our own people and of our nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
From what i read America has 11 million illegal immigrants mostly from central America, considering America is one of the richest countries in the world and its southern neighbors some of the poorest countries in the world it seems a rather natural course of events to have some illegal migration to the USA. IMO the media is blowing this story and its implied importance way out of proportion as 11 million in a country of 320 million represents a very insignificant number.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Depends on your agenda. Obama sees it as a blessing to his cause of Islam.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The cost of illegals to this nation is a hot topic and rightly so. Estimates vary widely and for a good reason. We have the costs of incarceration for illegals. We have the costs of providing education and the additional requirements for students who are non-english speakers. We have the costs of dealing with uninsured unlicensed drivers. We have the costs of providing school lunches, medical care, legal services etc. Then we have the costs of providing welfare to their children born on our soil.
Then we have the costs that are nearly impossible to quantify. What are the costs of stolen ID? What are the costs of American citizens displaced by illegals who work for much less? Do all these displaced American workers simply find another job the next day or do they end up on welfare? What are the costs of the victims of violent crimes committed by illegals?
Yes Illegal immigration is a huge problem in this country. The answer isn't to lower our standards and allow anyone in who wants a better life just because it feels good.
This isn't the early 1900's. We produce enough low skilled and undereducated people on our own. We as a country have the right to be as selective as we deem appropriate based on our needs. We absolutely owe no debt to the illegals or any applicant for an immigration VISA. It is not their right to come here simply because they want to. It is outrageous that our elected reps seem to feel that the needs of illegals outweigh the needs of our own people and of our nation.
I think you have pretty much touched all bases on this issue and all the negatives it imposes on the American people. Too bad the liberal left and ethnocentrics refuse to listen though.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But all of the above can directly be attributed to illegal immigration at least in part.
Some of it is due to legal immigration as well. It all ties in neatly with an out-of-control corrupt government, which is what we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
While some of your issues also have importance, you must not have lived and witnessed the impact and erosion of our nation firsthand at the hand of illegal immigration. Live within a few hundred miles of the southern border and it will become apparent to you. Not only can the people be coming across to cause harm to our citizens directly, but the overall culture and mentality they bring is greatly eroding our identity and culture. It is in essence a 'soft assault' and erosion of our nation that will increase exponentially with time. The vast majority of them do NOT want to assimilate or subscribe to our heritage. They don't want to learn our language. They want to take the things they like about our country and change what they don't (language, culture, etc.).

I think that most Americans are simply ignorant to the impact because they do not witness it like those closer to the border. It doesn't seem like a big deal to them where they are but do not understand that by the time it does, it will be too late. They only know what they hear from the media or their liberal politicians who make it sound like we should all be embracing them because they take jobs we supposedly don't want. We want to fix wage-inequality but are willing to pay illegals below minimum wage. I guarantee plenty of Americans will happily take their jobs if the wage is right. Bottom line is that we can't have it both ways.

What is more important? Our nation's culture, identity, heritage and security, or illegals willing to be paid a peasant's wage to bottom fill our economy?

By the way, once we elevate the illegals to legal status, they too will demand the higher wages our current citizens demand and we will be left with the same problem, only our country will be eroded away.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

You must be new here.

I live in Texas. A border state, last I checked.

I encounter illegals every single day. The woman who cleans my office building is an illegal. I pay higher taxes and insurance rates because of these invaders. I get sick of hearing Spanish EVERYWHERE.

You don't need to persuade me that illegal immigration is a huge issue in this country. We need to round up every last illegal and toss them out of here.

But I would be lying if I said it's the issue that has the biggest impact on my life. Right now, it isn't.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:31 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Build the wall. Deport ALL illegals and make all refugees go back to their respective countries. No more immigration until we get our house in order

Old 11-18-2015, 02:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Build the wall. Deport ALL illegals and make all refugees go back to their respective countries. No more immigration until we get our house in order
100% agree.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From what i read America has 11 million illegal immigrants mostly from central America, considering America is one of the richest countries in the world and its southern neighbors some of the poorest countries in the world it seems a rather natural course of events to have some illegal migration to the USA. IMO the media is blowing this story and its implied importance way out of proportion as 11 million in a country of 320 million represents a very insignificant number.
First of all, you can't actually believe that we only have 11 million illegals in this country. Every single day, illegals sneak across our borders or overstay visas. Yet the lamestream media keeps telling us that the number of illegals has not increased in years. It's not hard to do the math to realize that, at this point, the number far exceeds 11 million.

Yes, illegal immigration is a big deal. You obviously have not encountered the problems it causes up close and personal. That said, if I lived someplace that had little to no illegals, I, too, would be ignorant of the destruction illegals cause to neighborhoods and schools.

"Very insignificant number"? Even one illegal alien is one too many!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 PM

271 posts, read 390,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some of it is due to legal immigration as well. It all ties in neatly with an out-of-control corrupt government, which is what we have.

You must be new here.

I live in Texas. A border state, last I checked.

I encounter illegals every single day. The woman who cleans my office building is an illegal. I pay higher taxes and insurance rates because of these invaders. I get sick of hearing Spanish EVERYWHERE.

You don't need to persuade me that illegal immigration is a huge issue in this country. We need to round up every last illegal and toss them out of here.

But I would be lying if I said it's the issue that has the biggest impact on my life. Right now, it isn't.
I lived in Houston, TX from '82 through '11. Back in '82 there were no real detectable illegals and there was a nice charming Mexican dub-culture within the distinctly USA culture. Sometime in the early-mid '90s things began to nosedive. Illegals have been pouring in ever since, taking all of the good jobs that Americans were happy to have like lawn care, construction, fast food, etc. Now it seems like half of the people there don't understand (or pretend to not) English, construction quality is crappier than ever because there is a crew of non-skilled laborers who cannot speak English, illegals take all of the jobs kids used to do like lawn care, cleaning, fast food, etc. You have illegal neighbors so when there is an issue with their kids and yours, you have to use THEIR KIDS as a translator (real fun). The American culture was once eroding and is now basically being swept away the closer to the border you get. These people want to do a silent take over of our country and culture.

Needless to say, I got the hell out of there and moved pretty much as far away as I could. If the USA does not wake up NOW, our country will be lost. I've put enough buffer between myself and the illegal problem for my lifetime but not for my kids' the way things are headed.

Illegal immigration may not be your number 1 personal problem BigDGeek but it very well may be our country's #1 problem (not counting Obama of course). We also need to stop thinking only about ourselves as individuals and get some sense of nationalism or we're totally screwed.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:23 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
It's probably between 20 and 30 million illegals. Time to clean house! Goooooo TRUMP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration