Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,757,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Many claim that their concerns about immigration are limited only to "illegals," saying, they are not against legal immigration, only illegal immigration, or, they oppose ‘illegals' getting benefits others don't get. Others claim they oppose amnesty because it puts illegals ahead of those waiting patiently to enter legally.

First, such assertions are disingenuous because they imply that there is a reasonable opportunity for potential immigrants to legally come to the U.S. There isn't. Unless you have an immediate relative who is a citizen (spouse, minor child, or parent) the wait is 10 to 20 years, sometimes more. Second, their actions are rarely consistent with their talking points. Perhaps the best example is the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has officially designated a "hate group."
• Take legal immigration: As Miami Herald columnist Andres Oppenheimer has noted, FAIR not only doesn't support more legal immigration, its website calls for a drastic 70% cut in the number of legal immigrants allowed into the country
We Can Stop The Hate | It’s All About the “Illegals,” Or Is It? (http://www.wecanstopthehate.org/outrage/illeagals - broken link)

Great article to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 06:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quite frankly; I would like to see legal immigration restored to the pre 1965 rules.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,434 times
No matter what you want to call it, we, the American citizens, get to decide who comes in or not.

Mexico does the same thing on their southern border - in fact, we are giving them money with OUR tax dollars to beef up THEIR border to the south! And, here they are breaking our laws on OUR southern border.

I also believe there should be a moratorium on legal immigration since we have too much illegal immigration. We need to stop both for a period of time such that we can assimilate those who arrived in the last 20 years. Then, perhaps, we can open things up again.

300 million people is more than enough. I don't really want to live in a country that has 500 million people in the coming years, mostly because of illegal immigration and their offspring. We can hardly govern the 300million we have - in fact, we really can't.

It doesn't really matter what the pro-illegals call it - WE pay the taxes, WE fight the wars, WE decide who comes in. Other countries have the same rights, and believe me, they use them. The U.S. has been most generous in past years allowing people in from all over the world, and trying to make this a "diverse" land, when usually, that does not work (never has anywhere). I guess that is not enough for some people - they want MORE from us.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,601,493 times
We may need to some work done on the system to get here legally; that does not change the fact that illegals came here illegally while others waited.

There may be people that are against legal immigration as well, but what's disingenuous is to say that this characterizes the large segment of the population that are against illegal immigration. This would be similar to people against illegal immigration characterizing all the illegals as MS-13.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM

407 posts, read 800,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Quite frankly; I would like to see legal immigration restored to the pre 1965 rules.
That is definitely something I totally agree about. It would be more fair to the citizens of this country and would stop a lot of the riff raff that comes here.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,668,137 times
How funny is it that the illegal lovers dont know just how Mexico wont allow you or anyone else to roam all over their country and they have armed patrols on their southern borders.... uhmmmm

It is about the illegals, the majority want them gone. We have had enough of them destroying our schools, cities, hospitals, bringing diseases, stealing, raping and killing our people and yet people defend them. Tearing down burning our flags and much more. You wouldnt get away with that as an American in Mexico!

What kind of American would defend these lawbreaking invasionist anyway.

Mass deporatation is the only answer.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,366,393 times
While I do agree that many (not all) of the anti-immigration crowd really just dislike Mexicans/Hispanics and are not really concerned whether they are legal or not, in all fairness I have say that although the "average" wait to enter the US legally MAY be 10 years or more (at least from Mexico) it is NOT true that it's 10 years or more for all immigrants. I know this for a fact because my sisters' husband is from India and immigrated here after waiting no more than 3 years (if even that). Now it's probable (I don't know for sure - but I guess I could ask) that an employer sponsored him right out of school in India - but I DO know for a fact that he had NO family here. Being EXTREMELY hardworking, very smart and highly educated, he's done quite well - achieving the American Dream and retiring from Microsoft at age 40 or so and now running his own software startup firm currently providing highly-paid jobs for a dozen or so people (evenly split between the US and India).

Is his case typical? Of course not - but it DOES happen, so the wait (at least for folks with desirable skills) is not necessarily 10 years - though that MAY be the case for "regular" rank-and-file type worker-bees.

Ken

PS - By the way, 2 years ago he became an American citizen.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,597,208 times
It's SUPPOSED to be hard to gain entrance here, it's a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT. I get so tired of the BS that's spewed by these ethno-centric hustlers hellbent on destroying our nation.

There is coming a time when the American citizens, white, brown and black, are going to come together to fight this with MORE than phone calls and faxes to Congress, and when that time comes I will feel sorry for the invaders in our midst. They will find themselves in some REALLY deep doo-doo.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,270 times
this is all crap we ar enothing without immigrants and everyone including racest ppl know that!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 AM

27,707 posts, read 16,198,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschula214 View Post
this is all crap we ar enothing without immigrants and everyone including racest ppl know that!!!
Can you make yourself more clear please,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration