Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
If they had the same job opportunities they had back home, they wouldn't leave would they?
Are you really claiming they cannot build the economy of a rich nation like Mexico but somehow can only in the USA?

And maybe that's why they don't make the needed reforms back home so they can -- we offer too many government programs here for them and make it too easy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,804 times
You have to really take these studies with a grain of salt. They will come back with the whatever results the people who paid for the survey want. It's common knowledge the illegal immigration problem is very costly and I seriously doubt that they are contributing $400 mil. Personally, I could care less about any survey because it doesn't take a genius to realize that this situation has gotten out of control and in the end they cost the taxpayers a lot more than what they contribute. If this wasn't the case, illegal immigration would be more of a nuisance and not the serious problem it is.

As for the person who says that they come here because of all the US programs. I have to agree with you. I personally know of two illegal immigrants who are collecting social security checks. How they were able to get approved, is beyond me. But that just means that there are millions of people in this country collecting social security checks who haven't contributed a dime to Social Security. We as Americans better get really vigiliant about saving for retirement. Another casulty of illegal immigration will be Social Security. But I don't blame them, I blame us.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If you say the illegals are stealing those jobs your wrong. Your beef is with the employer who hires them.
illegal mexicans are thieves.. period. if you slither across
the border illegally and geta job... thier stealing it from an American
or from a mexican who was granted a legal work visa.
And mexicans who are now legal via amnesty, were ALL
once illegal criminals themselves.. now they just have a legal
right to welfare, jobs, healthcare, food stamps, education..
and so-on.
and there are many NOW legal mexicans who harbor illegal
relatives.. and help them GET that job.. so it's NOT just the employer..
If amnesty was NEVER given in the first place.. those who are now
legal via amnesty.. wouldn't have the option of harboring illegal relatives,
and finding them jobs.. and said illegal wouldn't be stealing that job.. or
have the opportunity to spit-out more anchor babies... thanks to amnesty
relatives who harbor illegals.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM

103 posts, read 261,439 times
Some of the employers are big corporations, but in our area there are many, many Mexican restaurants - owned by Mexicans and many Mexican contractors who can buy a type of citizenship status by paying $100,000.

I refuse to go to Mexican Mafia (ooops) restaurants, anymore.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM

413 posts, read 909,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If you say the illegals are stealing those jobs your wrong. Your beef is with the employer who hires them.
Indeed. I believe there need to be harsh penalties for being caught employing illegal immigrants--even in a subcontracting capacity. Put the onus of voting on the companies.

Strike 1: written warning and a fine of $10,000 per illegal employee
Strike 2: loss of all corporate labor tax deductions
Strike 3: loss of operating rights. That means the gov't would liquidate and sell at auction all assets of the offending company.

I believe in stricter and harsher treatment of illegal immigrants who are caught, but we also need to diminish the incentive of those who bring them to the USA: the employers.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
illegal mexicans are thieves.. period. if you slither across
the border illegally and geta job... thier stealing it from an American
or from a mexican who was granted a legal work visa.
And mexicans who are now legal via amnesty, were ALL
once illegal criminals themselves.. now they just have a legal
right to welfare, jobs, healthcare, food stamps, education..
and so-on.
and there are many NOW legal mexicans who harbor illegal
relatives.. and help them GET that job.. so it's NOT just the employer..
If amnesty was NEVER given in the first place.. those who are now
legal via amnesty.. wouldn't have the option of harboring illegal relatives,
and finding them jobs.. and said illegal wouldn't be stealing that job.. or
have the opportunity to spit-out more anchor babies... thanks to amnesty
relatives who harbor illegals.
what part of ILLEGAL don't you get?
you even admitted to having ILLEGAL RELATIVES in MY country!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
^^ why are you quoting yourself?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM

413 posts, read 909,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Indeed. I believe there need to be harsh penalties for being caught employing illegal immigrants--even in a subcontracting capacity. Put the onus of voting on the companies.

Strike 3: loss of operating rights. That means the gov't would liquidate and sell at auction all assets of the offending company.

I believe in stricter and harsher treatment of illegal immigrants who are caught, but we also need to diminish the incentive of those who bring them to the USA: the employers.
Ahem...that should read, "vetting," not "voting."

Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
^^ why are you quoting yourself?
because when it comes to the PRO's.. you have to say things
2... 3... 4... and 5 times before they get it...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post

These are great proposals but we can't even get a secured border. What good is any of this until you can control or de-incent people from entering the US in the first place. Without a secured border it is dog chasing tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration