U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2016, 01:35 AM
 
6,314 posts, read 8,641,450 times
Reputation: 2656

Advertisements

Do they think a new wall is needed?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s9zndPQu04
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 AM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do they think a new wall is needed?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s9zndPQu04

Propaganda piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 06:48 AM
TKO
 
Location: On the Border
2,144 posts, read 2,800,620 times
Reputation: 1984
No. I've said on these hallowed pages before that anyone who ever visits the border between Columbus, NM and Nogales, AZ and thinks we can build a wall in that terrain better put down the pipe. Fences are effective in some areas but a monolithic structure well conceived enough to be effective would cost an ungodly sum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
 
8,063 posts, read 3,620,550 times
Reputation: 2449
Default The Wallis needed!

Living in Phx and working in Casa Grande the wall is needed. I speak to many border Agents it would greatly enhance the law enforcement and safety for All Arizonians. Casa Grande is linked by 4 major roads from the border and all of the trafficking goes thru CG.


Most Border Patrol suggest to carry a fire arm of have one close by. There is a reason why there is a large post in Casa Grande Sector
Ranchers are at risk and if they report activity the Cartel places a concerning and threating call. Cattle die from a gun shot. Equipment is vandalized.

The Wall would pay for its self off setting the crime and human smuggling. There is parts in Arizona that the FS and BP cannot reasonably guarantee your safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 09:02 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
I'm in a border state; they need to do WAY more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Reputation: 18141
OP's post is contrary to everything I have read:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0we2r7hydmo


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmyIJB1Wcc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 11:47 AM
 
4,506 posts, read 4,360,020 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No. I've said on these hallowed pages before that anyone who ever visits the border between Columbus, NM and Nogales, AZ and thinks we can build a wall in that terrain better put down the pipe. Fences are effective in some areas but a monolithic structure well conceived enough to be effective would cost an ungodly sum.
Two things come to mind: Great Wall of China, for example. And boy, did they have to navigate some rough terrain. And as Trump says, they didn't even have Caterpillars.

And as to ungodly sums, that's something Washington is expert at. Here's what the phony "war" in Iraq cost:

Iraq war costs U.S. more than $2 trillion: study | Reuters

Here's the cost of the embassy complex in Iraq:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embass...tates,_Baghdad

And I have no idea how much the various military actions in Syria, Libya and elsewhere have cost and are costing. I don't hear hardly a peep about those "ungodly sums".

Trump wants to put paid to nation building abroad. I agree. Lots of moolah to be saved there that could be diverted to the wall and other things, that contribute more to domestic well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 PM
TKO
 
Location: On the Border
2,144 posts, read 2,800,620 times
Reputation: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Two things come to mind: Great Wall of China, for example. And boy, did they have to navigate some rough terrain. And as Trump says, they didn't even have Caterpillars.

And as to ungodly sums, that's something Washington is expert at. Here's what the phony "war" in Iraq cost:

Iraq war costs U.S. more than $2 trillion: study | Reuters

Here's the cost of the embassy complex in Iraq:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embass...tates,_Baghdad

And I have no idea how much the various military actions in Syria, Libya and elsewhere have cost and are costing. I don't hear hardly a peep about those "ungodly sums".

Trump wants to put paid to nation building abroad. I agree. Lots of moolah to be saved there that could be diverted to the wall and other things, that contribute more to domestic well being.
China had unlimited slave labor. Even so, the Great Wall didn't work. Kublai Khan conquered China.

I'm with you on the foreign involvement and I was talking about ungodly sums back in 2003 for a stupid war against someone who wasn't a threat. Certainly I wasn't alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 12:37 PM
 
4,506 posts, read 4,360,020 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
China had unlimited slave labor. Even so, the Great Wall didn't work. Kublai Khan conquered China.

I'm with you on the foreign involvement and I was talking about ungodly sums back in 2003 for a stupid war against someone who wasn't a threat. Certainly I wasn't alone.
And Assad is not a threat today.

Getting back to the wall, it may be a moot point. People always seem to forget that what goes around, comes around, and unfortunately it always seems to come around on the citizens, not always the government officials. It is not outside the realm of possibility that a number of nations might decide to break up the US in a free-for-all to end all free-for-alls. China, Russia, Mexico, Iran and maybe Turkey could all very well decide to bring the war to the US and carve it up into different sectors for the countries involved. It's not outside the realm of possibility, with the exception of Mexico, all those countries are involved in Syria one way or another. Mexico would most surely get involved, in order to protect its interests.

Then we'd have a whole new set of borders to be concerned about. It would be interesting to see Russia and China squabbling over the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,292 posts, read 1,520,426 times
Reputation: 5766
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No. I've said on these hallowed pages before that anyone who ever visits the border between Columbus, NM and Nogales, AZ and thinks we can build a wall in that terrain better put down the pipe. Fences are effective in some areas but a monolithic structure well conceived enough to be effective would cost an ungodly sum.
The "Iron curtain" wasn't iron, and wasn't a curtain. A "wall" is a concept. It can be towers with cameras in places, chain link fence in places AND a concrete wall in other places. I suppose it could even consist of drones in certain locales.
Depends on the geography and the accessibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top