Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Legal and illegal immigration solution
Legalize every illegal and nothing else 0 0%
AFTER the border is secured, legalize all the illegals in the county and keep the LEGAL immigration as they are now. 4 5.97%
AFTER the border is secured, legalize all the illegals in the country and DECREASE Legal immigration level. 5 7.46%
AFTER the border is secured, legalize all the illegals in the country and INCREASE legal immigraton level. 7 10.45%
Secure the border and then enforce the immigration laws--leading illegals to go back to their county as it happened in OK state. Nothing else. 26 38.81%
Same as option 5 but in this case we also REDUCE LEGAL immigration level. 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 AM

403 posts, read 749,402 times

Advertisements

What is your choice? And what choice should your candidates support?

One Point.

The 5th option really works---I don't support the measure and find them just stupid---but this proves that the from the left that we would have deport 12 million people back to their country is not true and frankly bogus. The same goes for the right-wing nuts who believe we should deport people.
NewsOK Mobile

Oklahoma law blamed for Hispanic exodus - Race & ethnicity - MSNBC.com

I support "after border is secured, legalize all the illegals in the country and INCREASE legal immigraton level." option.

Last edited by jessica1000; 02-23-2008 at 12:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,667,185 times
Skewed poll

Where is DEPORT THEM ALL AND BUILD THE FENCE?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:49 AM

403 posts, read 749,402 times
That would be option 5 for you.

Deporting or the OK state alternative(more effective and more sane). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22845808/

You can't deport 12 million people.

Example, even if we deport 1000 people(good luck finding them and rounding them off at this pace-------great T.V and publicity nightmare) from U.S to Mexico each day, it would take 32 years to do this.

1000 (people)* 365(days) *(Years) 32 = 12 million (approx)
2000 * 365 * 16 = 12 Million (approx)

Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,691,989 times
Why is this thread here and not in the Immigration forum?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
1. Deport ALL illegals (and yes it can be done, where there is a will there is a way; we have shown through our history we can do the "impossible" when necessary)
2. Deport ALL pro-illegal legals (they are cluttering the landscape)
3. Build the fence NOW
4. Heavily fine AND jail those who hire illegals, OR offer them the option of deportation with no chance for return
5. Drastically REDUCE all immigration from now on
6. Draft a new amendment on above as soon as possible

I saw no number for the above, so made my own caveats. All the crap one sees in a border state can make one a radical on some issues.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 AM

407 posts, read 800,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
1. Deport ALL illegals (and yes it can be done, where there is a will there is a way; we have shown through our history we can do the "impossible" when necessary)
2. Deport ALL pro-illegal legals (they are cluttering the landscape)
3. Build the fence NOW
4. Heavily fine AND jail those who hire illegals, OR offer them the option of deportation with no chance for return
5. Drastically REDUCE all immigration from now on
6. Draft a new amendment on above as soon as possible

I saw no number for the above, so made my own caveats. All the crap one sees in a border state can make one a radical on some issues.
Sounds good to me and I am sure that anyone who wants the laws followed in this country would agree.

This thread should be in the immigration group though and not here.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:34 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,853,145 times
The option I would have chosen, but was not offered, is ENFORCE IMMIGRATION LAWS. We shouldn't have to resort to securing our border. No hiring of illegals. No renting to illegals. No drivers licenses, no welfare, no anchor babies, no free education, and no free health care. Make it a lot less attractive to be here and they will leave. Sorry to say though that I don't think any of our Presidential candidates will be effective in dealing with the illegal alien invasion.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,240,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Why is this thread here and not in the Immigration forum?
Just logged in to take a look around this morning, and I think you are correct.

Thread moved to Immigration.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
I voted for option 5 as well.

That stated: if 90% of the illegal immigrants were deported including their minor Anchor Babies*; I suspect that most of the self described hardcore anti illegal immigrant crowd (including myself) would soften their rhetoric towards the few left.

*Anchor Babies: using July 1st 2008 as a hypothetical cutoff date; deny birthright citizenship if both parents are illegal but grandfather those Anchors born June 30th or prior.

The above June 30th or earlier one could either stay here with friends or legal relatives or; if sent 'home' with their illegal parents-------the kids would be allowed entry back into the USA on their 18th birthdays.

In all fairness though; due to Mexico's birthrate crashing towards replacement level, most of the above Anchors would most likely stay in Mexico. Less hassle than trying to re-assimilate into US culture.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,954,560 times
Option 5 for me. Why penalize legal immigrants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration