Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
No, it is a mostly white-caused problem. I take the view that those illegal Mexicans are just doing what most people would do in their shoes - try to survive, try to find work, etc, the true root of the problem is the whites that let them in in the first place (mostly white politicians), hire them (white employers and white farmer types), help them (white liberals), etc.

Using an overly simplistic example, we can compare the illegal Mexicans to wild animals. For example, say there's a campground where a family is spending the weekend. Foolishly the campers leave their leftover food from the evening's BBQ just lying out in open air on the table, then they go to sleep in their tents. That night, they are awoken by a few bears rummaging thru the garbage and running off with/stealing the leftovers from the table. I don't blame the bears in this hypothetical scenario, they're just doing what they gotta do to survive. It's similar to the situation with the illegal Mexicans, the focus should really be on "who's feeding them" rather than the standard "brown people bad" focus on the immigrants themselves.

The right-wing seems to have this "tunnel vision" on the immigrants themselves, not realizing the illegal Mexicans are the symptom and not the "cause" of the issue.

"Brown people = bad" is such a worn out argument, and it reeks of racism.
Until the "focus" shifts to the actual employers/enablers i doubt much will change.
Let's be honest, Trump's campaign was successful in part due to this "brown people = bad" notion.
"Brown people = bad" is a very effective method of "firing up" many republican voters.
Not a bad analogy, at least better the comparison to wild animals rather than murderers and rapists...

True. It is much harder for me to blame someone who wants to WORK instead of starve or live in poverty than it is for me to blame those who one-way-or-another keep this labor force underground, off the books, and always accessible.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Your welcome!

Illegals should be deported immediately and go through the right channels to enter the US again.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...ltural-workers
Who May Qualify for H-2A Classification?

To qualify for H-2A nonimmigrant classification, the petitioner must:

Offer a job that is of a temporary or seasonal nature.

Demonstrate that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to do the temporary work.

Show that employing H-2A workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

Generally, submit a single valid temporary labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor with the H-2A petition. (A limited exception to this requirement exists in certain “emergent circumstances.” See e.g., 8 CFR 214.2(h)(5)(x) for specific details.)

H-2A Program Process

Step 1: Petitioner submits temporary labor certification application to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Before requesting H-2A classification from USCIS, the petitioner must apply for and receive a temporary labor certification for H-2A workers from DOL. For further information regarding the temporary labor certification requirements and process, see the Foreign Labor Certification, Department of Labor Web page.

Step 2: Petitioner submits Form I-129 to USCIS. After receiving a temporary labor certification for H-2A employment from DOL, the petitioner must file Form I-129 with USCIS. With limited exceptions, the petitioner must submit original temporary labor certification as initial evidence with Form I-129. (See the instructions to Form I-129 for additional filing requirements.)

Step 3: Prospective workers outside the United States apply for visa and/or admission. After USCIS approves Form I-129, prospective H-2A workers who are outside the United States must:

Apply for an H-2A visa with the U.S. Department of State (DOS) at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad and then seek admission to the United States with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at a U.S. port of entry; or
Directly seek admission to the United States in H-2A classification with CBP at a U.S. port of entry, if a worker does not require a visa in cases where an H-2A visa is not required.

Thank you...

Old 06-11-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
They are "parasites" because they take far, far more than they give. Who do you think pays for it when they birth anchor babies? Answer: The taxpayers. Who do you think pays for it when they use the ER? Answer: The taxpayers. Who do you think pays for ESL in the public schools? Answer: The taxpayers.

Do you know how much illegal aliens cost us? Here is a link that explains it. See how much they cost VA.

State Cost Studies | Federation for American Immigration Reform

BTW, illegals are NOT entitled to sneak in here or overstay a visa just "to get to a place they can live in security without fear of murder". We have plenty of our own citizens living in bad areas that "fear murder".

And, yes, even if illegals work here (which is against the law, BTW) they still are "parasites" for the reasons mentioned above. Very, very few pay taxes. Many are paid under the table, which amounts to tax evasion. Others work with stolen IDs, which is a felony. Others work with fake SSNs which sometimes belong to a living person, thus putting the true owner of that SSN in a world of hurt---same for ID theft victims.

I most certainly blame illegals. No one forced them to come here. I also blame those who hire them. Our politicians on both sides of the aisle are also to blame for turning a blind eye to this. Some of them, like democrats and RINOs, even put illegals ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed American citizens.

Why wouldn't illegals go home? Make E-verify the law of the land and run everybody in the workforce through it to weed out those 8 million no-match SSNs. Put a stop to the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. If illegals can't find work or tap into any welfare programs (and they do tap into those programs when they birth an anchor baby), they will leave on their own accord. Would you stay someplace if you couldn't find work or collect unemployment checks?
Never once yet has anyone who wants to highlight the cost of illegal immigration also included any sort of revenue/benefit numbers. You can't only look at one side of the accounting ledger to get a true profit/loss or cost/benefit evaluation. Right?

The Congressional Budget Office report analyzed 29 reports and said none attempted to look at total costs and revenues.

Estimates that don’t factor in positive economic impacts by unauthorized immigrants don’t tell the whole story, said Michelle Mittelstadt, director of communications for Migration Policy Institute, a think tank that studies immigration trends.

Our ruling

Trump said, "Illegal immigration costs our country more than $113 billion a year."

Trump presented this figure as a hard fact to make his case, and not as the rough, high-end estimate that it is.

The figure matches a 2013 study by a group that wants to reduce immigration, FAIR.

It’s uncertain how much immigrants in the United States illegally cost taxpayers, but FAIR’s data is largely based on broad estimates and assumptions. Another report by a conservative think tank pegged the amount at about $85 billion a year. Reports by pro-immigration or neutral groups have come in significantly lower, and other reports have been inconclusive.

Estimating the costs of illegal immigration is extremely difficult and produces dramatically different figures, depending on the source. Yes, there are costs. But Trump is selecting the highest of all possible estimates from a range that varies widely.

We rate Trump’s statement Mostly False.

Donald Trump says illegal immigration costs $113 billion a year | PolitiFact

Old 06-11-2017, 08:40 AM

Note: this too is not to "defend" illegal immigration, not at all. This information is simply to better measure and/or evaluate the extent to which illegal immigration is a problem and to address the problem accordingly. Is there a cost of illegal immigrants in America? Yes of course. Are there benefits? Yes of course. What is the net cost or benefit? This is the true question and/or number we need to properly judge what sort of problem illegal immigration truly represents.

Economic benefits of illegal immigrants

Consumer demand

Economic activity produced by illegal immigrant spending employs about 5% of the total US workforce. Illegal immigrants occupy over 3 million dwellings, or just under 4% of the total number of homes in the US. UCLA research indicates immigrants produce $150 billion of economic activity equivalent to spending stimulus every year. The advantages of illegal migration tend mostly to be on the side of the employer. An employer will benefit from the illegal status of a migrant who is desperate for work and therefore prepared to accept poor pay, usually below local norms. Hiring an illegal worker also brings the employer the advantage of paying less in the way of welfare contributions and other non-wage costs.

Nearly every dollar earned by illegal immigrants is spent immediately, and the average wage for US citizens is $10.25/hour with an average of 34 hours per week. This means that approximately 8 million US jobs are dependent upon economic activity produced by illegal immigrant activities within the US.

Taxes paid by illegal immigrants...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom..._United_States

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-11-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Don't go there, please. Bad things happen to bears who raid campgrounds; either those animals are trapped and released far away or they're killed.

BTW: please stop with the "brown" thing. If people REALLY cared about "brown" people, they'd help out American Blacks, NOT illegal aliens regardless of their "race".
Still don't get this brown vs black thing you keep repeating...

Facts, specifics, references, anything to help back up or explain what you are going on about...?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Searching the comments in this thread the only one I have seen mentioning brown people is you. No one has said that all illegal aliens are rapists and murderers either. It certainly is a bad thing to break our immigration laws though no matter what their skin color is.
I recall one important political figure who said something like "rapists and murderers."

Simply Google "rapists and murderers" and see what comes up (I'm not mentioning any names)...

Donald Trump’s false comments connecting Mexican immigrants and crime

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.836199ebf10a

Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
It's a pointless apples-to-oranges comparison, since american Blacks really have nothing in common with illegal Mexicans The biggest thing is american Blacks don't live "in the shadows" and are able to qualify for most government assistance programs.

And illegal Mexicans do actually pay taxes, they just don't pay that much considering how little they earn on $7-$9/hour poverty wages. As for "rapists and murderers", those are rare and most illegal Mexicans do not engage in those crimes. Using actual statistics and not right-wing hearsay, american-born Blacks actually commit far more violent crimes than these "brown people".

"Brown people = automatically bad" meme seems to be alive and well in this thread
No more or less pointless than participating in this forum in general, but thanks for the reminder that I should waste no more time this morning...

Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Trump and his supporters insult them and demonstrate little understanding or appreciation for what this labor force means to Americans, but now we'll all begin to better understand I think...

“Every day, the food we eat, the dairy products, the wine, the berries and veggies — it all passes through the hands of undocumented immigrants,” said Gutiérrez. “Every American is complicit in the reality that we depend on agriculture, and agriculture depends on immigrants, but we have not allowed those workers to come here legally nor allowed them to work legally once they have been here.”

One in 10 agriculture workers in California are born outside of the U.S., and more than half are not in the country legally, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

California produces more than 350 commodities; including one-third of the nation’s vegetables and nearly two-thirds of the nation’s fruits and nuts. California also produces 90 percent of the strawberries grown in the U.S.

‘Blue card’ bill could legalize ag workforce in Santa Cruz County

Seems to me that all Trump is going to end up doing is force the issue of providing for more legalized immigration, more legitimate Hispanic Americans. Can't have it both ways in any case...
Newsflash! We, the Trump supporters and supporters of the laws of the United States of America are the 10 that actually know what is going on. We DO NOT appreciate people that break the laws, we are not liberals, as we believe EVERYONE should have to obey the laws of our country.

Actually, there are an UNLIMITED number of agricultural visas available for migrant farm workers. I am surprised you were not aware of this. https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...ltural-workers Of course, in this case, they couldn't be treated like slaves and mooch off the taxpayers, but we all know that much of the "compassion" is nothing more than "exploitation".

Agriculture does not depend on immigrants, especially illegal aliens which I think is where you confusion may be. All of our food chain DOES NOT pass through the hands of illegal aliens, calling them anything else simply reeks of being uninformed, since the majority of illegal aliens are documented with stolen IDs of American citizens. Illegal aliens have NO RIGHT TO WORK in the USA and just added the necessary element to move them back to their home of origin by so doing.

4% of ILLEGAL ALIENS work in agriculture: https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/jobs-americans-wont-do 1 in 8 work in white collar jobs and even more have work for slave wages with our government supporting their anchor babies and providing emergency medical care at 3 times the rate of use as an American citizen through Medicaid, a program meant for OUR CITIZENS. If the government paid to raise our kids, we could have afforded to work for much less also and took care of our medical care!

Frankly, I don't give a darn about the illegal aliens working illegally in CA or the people there that sympathize with them because they are cheap source of labor since they are subsidized by American taxpayers across the country.

FAIR has done this comprehensive report on what it would take to replace the illegal aliens in agricultural work. An increase in wages would do it and we would see the savings in our tax dollars, more than $113 billion per year, that would leave population about 325,000,000 dividing that $113 billion per year among them to pay for the extra cost of lettuce...............

http://www.fairus.org/DocServer/agribusiness_rev.pdf It quite an interesting and comprehensive study. I would think it would be easy for one of the highly educated liberals to follow, I mean, it was easy for me, an avid and faithful Trump supporter.

So, load 'em up and ship 'em out! I mean, if an uneducated Trump supporter like myself can see this, I would think it would be easy for the highly educated liberals to get a clue!

And, as always, the bottom line is that these people have broken are laws and per the law should be detained and deported.

***Illegal aliens paying taxes: http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/ja...ceived-refunds

***We should not forget the cost in lives, of course, it is more important to pay .10 cents less for a head of lettuce to some: http://www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp

I rest my case. Thread fail.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Know thy enemy...

Imagine yourself faced with the prospect of living a life in poverty, without work, where living conditions are poor and chances for your children dismal. All that stands between such a life of struggle and "the American dream" is to make your way across the border. Would you give up on that dream simply to maintain legal status in Mexico rather than take your chances as an illegal alien in America?

I know I wouldn't. Life is too short, and all the millions who have risked life and limb to do the same all over the world know this simple truth far better than comfortable Americans who don't seem to know much more about the world around them other than who is winning on "Dancing with the Stars."
Not my problem. THo our laws against illegals AND those people who hire them, NEED to be enforced and HARD.

If talking Mexico: maybe the rich people in that country would be FORCED to help out their poor brothers and sisters.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:13 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
I just have one simple comment to make for those who think it's ok to come here illegally based on their own personal economic needs. No one has the right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration