Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times

Advertisements

Most of those numbers come from Michael Antonovich who is on the LA County board of supervisors. He comes up with those numbers using some very magical math like somehow calculating how much undocumented people cost in terms of fire and police services and public schools. Which is really bizarre because federal law requires that all kids attend public school without regard to their immigration status. He then 'guesses' at the cost of 'welfare' in which he adds in medical and snap benefits received by the citizen children of undocumented parents but since there are no official numbers for that, he just sort of makes it up. And he does this every year like clockwork, it appears that the poor man is obsessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Exactly, maybe their American children can be but not them.
That's true but their American born children are CITIZENS a fact that the guy who makes up this garbage, Supervisor Antonovich always tends to ignore, instead calling them "illegals"

Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,661,007 times
If you're going to post in a forum for a state that's 3000 miles from where you actually live, you might first want to check the archives for that state's sub-forum. This subject has already been discussed ad nauseam in previous threads here. So, no need to start a new thread to rehash the topic. It's been covered already.

Let's move on.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 PM

8,360 posts, read 6,449,014 times
Let's move on and continue to pay out the nose for these Illegals. I'll never get the far left.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,893,324 times
Just think how that money could help everyday Los Angles Citizens. In most countries if you can support yourself one gets deported.

Trump is trying to reform immigration by doing just this!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:34 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,616,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most of those numbers come from Michael Antonovich who is on the LA County board of supervisors. He comes up with those numbers using some very magical math like somehow calculating how much undocumented people cost in terms of fire and police services and public schools. Which is really bizarre because federal law requires that all kids attend public school without regard to their immigration status. He then 'guesses' at the cost of 'welfare' in which he adds in medical and snap benefits received by the citizen children of undocumented parents but since there are no official numbers for that, he just sort of makes it up. And he does this every year like clockwork, it appears that the poor man is obsessed.
How are they magical numbers? These numbers are what CALWorks is reporting.

Undocumented LA County Parents On Pace To Receive $650M In Welfare Benefits « CBS Los Angeles

Quote:
Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich announced the latest figures from the Department of Public Social Services, which showed more than $376 million in CalWORKs benefits and food stamps combined have been distributed through July to illegal alien parents for their native-born children.

Approximately $54 million in welfare payments are issued each month, consisting of nearly $20 million in CalWORKs and $34 million in food stamp issuances, according to the data.
That was from 2013, but it was up from the previous year.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
How are they magical numbers? These numbers are what CALWorks is reporting.

Undocumented LA County Parents On Pace To Receive $650M In Welfare Benefits « CBS Los Angeles

That was from 2013, but it was up from the previous year.
Illegal immigrants don't get welfare benefits period. From your link:

"An estimated 100,000 children of 60,000 undocumented parents receive aid in Los Angeles County, according to Antonovich". Those children he refers to are United States Citizens and yes they are entitled to SNAP benefits just like any other citizen children whose parents fall below a certain income level. But he never gives a source or his numbers the only thing he says is he gets the numbers from calworks which undocumented people aren't even eligible for.

If you want to argue that birthright citizenship is a bad idea you won't get an argument out of me because I think it's bizarre and we are one of a small handful of Countries that have it. But that's what we are dealing with right now, so it's wrong to claim that "undocumented immigrants" are getting this money, when the reality is that it is their citizen children who get the benefits.

And Then Mr. Antonovich goes on to make up numbers about how much illegals cost us for public safety. What the hell? Are cops supposed to refuse to take a crime report from a person who isn't a citizen? And then Antonovich whines about the cost of sending these kids to school. Well, he should take that up with the federal government because SCOTUS has ruled more than once that all children are eligible to go to public school no matter what their immigration status.

Antonovich releases this report every year, I think he just wants to get his name in as many news outlets as possible. His data is never supported and believe me I have searched online trying to verify these figures and I simply can't find anything that even comes close to what he is claiming.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:13 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,893,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Illegal immigrants don't get welfare benefits period. From your link:

"An estimated 100,000 children of 60,000 undocumented parents receive aid in Los Angeles County, according to Antonovich". Those children he refers to are United States Citizens and yes they are entitled to SNAP benefits just like any other citizen children whose parents fall below a certain income level. But he never gives a source or his numbers the only thing he says is he gets the numbers from calworks which undocumented people aren't even eligible for.

If you want to argue that birthright citizenship is a bad idea you won't get an argument out of me because I think it's bizarre and we are one of a small handful of Countries that have it. But that's what we are dealing with right now, so it's wrong to claim that "undocumented immigrants" are getting this money, when the reality is that it is their citizen children who get the benefits.

And Then Mr. Antonovich goes on to make up numbers about how much illegals cost us for public safety. What the hell? Are cops supposed to refuse to take a crime report from a person who isn't a citizen? And then Antonovich whines about the cost of sending these kids to school. Well, he should take that up with the federal government because SCOTUS has ruled more than once that all children are eligible to go to public school no matter what their immigration status.

Antonovich releases this report every year, I think he just wants to get his name in as many news outlets as possible. His data is never supported and believe me I have searched online trying to verify these figures and I simply can't find anything that even comes close to what he is claiming.
Illegal are the problem and some may be Natural born , but both parents are Illegal and only had a child to gain status. Which is planning a crime.

Illegals break laws everyday, just being here and we as American carry their law breaking butts!
Truly get this Immigration issue under control we must deny Illegals and their kids all benefits being in this country.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The question I want to genuinely ask is, since I am totally in the dark about welfare in general, does the welfare office verify one's citizenship thoroughly, as in full background check to verify any information they provide? The same way some illegals use false papers to gain employment, can they also be used to gain access to welfare? Or is that just impossible?
Yes they are very careful about making sure that citizenship papers are real, they require an original certified birth certificate (no photo copy) and the child's social security number and they verify that the SSN does not belong to someone else. I did volunteer work and helped women sign up for welfare benefits and it was no joke, it was hard to get all the right paperwork for a citizen, I can't even imagine someone trying it with fake papers.

Getting fake papers to get a job is entirely different, unless it's an e-verify employer they don't check anything so all that is needed is a fake ID card and a SSN. There are people all over in areas with large numbers of hispanics who make fake ID's all day long. They usually get a fake green card and either make up a SSN or the person who sells them the fake ID gets them the SSN of a dead person. The employer has no responsibility to verify the authenticity of the green card or the SSN.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:23 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
The overall costs of illegal aliens to our country is $113 billion a year. If these parents hadn't come here illegally in the first place they wouldn't be giving birth on our soil and able to tap into our welfare coffers. It's a shame that their kids are deemed citizens of our country merely by a PC policy. It's bankrupting our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration