Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When Federal Comprehensive Immigration Reform passes in 2009 it will:
Give Amnesty to all current illegal immigrants except those with a criminal record 6 50.00%
Will involve strict rules that will make it nearly impossible for illegal immigrants to get a job 5 41.67%
Will allow millions of new immigrants from countries outside of Latin America 0 0%
Will significantly increase legal immigration quotas that will make "White America" a thing of the past 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 AM

116 posts, read 435,922 times

Advertisements

Once President Obama, Clinton or McCain is President of the United States (who ever is actually in the role), will start pushing Congress to start debate on the new version of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Put on your crystal ball hat and please tell us what do you think will be the final result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,140,871 times
I would love to see option number 2 come to pass but I know what will happen.
Amnesty and no real change.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times
I picked '2' due to the fact that our economy is imploding------most employers; if confronted with laying off an illegal vs. a US citizen/green card holder will cut the first one loose. Illegals, especially those with sketchy SSN's would not dare file a complaint with the state's labor board let alone attempt to collect unemployment.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:25 PM

26,679 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Once President Obama, Clinton or McCain is President of the United States (who ever is actually in the role), will start pushing Congress to start debate on the new version of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Put on your crystal ball hat and please tell us what do you think will be the final result.
My personal feeling is that any immigration reform will not be passed until our economy improves and according to some experts that may not be anytime soon. There would be too much outrage from struggling americans for amnesty to pass and our next president would veto anything that didnt include amnesty, so i expect things to stay status quo for awhile. One blessing of this is that states are starting to get off their butts by passing their own immigration laws and not waiting for the feds to do something.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 AM

116 posts, read 435,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
My personal feeling is that any immigration reform will not be passed until our economy improves and according to some experts that may not be anytime soon. There would be too much outrage from struggling americans for amnesty to pass and our next president would veto anything that didnt include amnesty, so i expect things to stay status quo for awhile. One blessing of this is that states are starting to get off their butts by passing their own immigration laws and not waiting for the feds to do something.
This may be true but many State Legislatures have punted on the bill because they expect Obama to be President in 2009 and he is very much of a open borders person and will use his political capital to push through an amnesty plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration