Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is insane how much they love their illegals. Imagine a law the requires employers to tell their employees when a ICE raid is planned.
I can only imagine that the employer would be had up on charges by the state if he fired all his workers that didn't show up on the day of the ICE raid.
The Feds can go after the guy for hiring them and the state goes after him for firing them.
What a mess.

I wonder how long this lawsuit will take to play out? I sure hope it can be resolved by 2020 but I'm sure it will be grinded out in court. We can only hope that the good people of CA finally see how ridiculous their elected are and they give them the boot.
Don’t bet on it. I’m amazed that the people here keep electing these morons that couldn’t care less about American citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:52 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Wonder why states are not boycotting CA like they did to AZ back in 2010

Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Don’t bet on it. I’m amazed that the people here keep electing these morons that couldn’t care less about American citizens.
It will be interesting to see if more Reps get elected or if there are moderate Dems who are fed up with the status quo in Sacramento.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:35 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Hmmm. Is this an emotional response or do you have any valid facts?

First and foremost I don't support sanctuary cities. We have a rule of law that should be followed. I have concerns about why Trump is targeting California. Why not Chicago or any other sanctuary city? What are his motives for attacking the 6th largest GDP in the world?

Why is California a sanctuary city? Unfortunately illegals contribute billions to California's GDP. It's always all about the coin.

So again, why is Trump targeting California and not all sanctuary cities?
If California loses, they will all lose. Your conclusion that they are focused only on California is wrong. California is first in line. First come, first served.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:20 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Only liberal dems and illegals like this stupid law. I've never heard anyone that doesn't have skin in the game claim to want it.

Just the ICE raids alone have changed the demographics here already.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:27 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I was just going to post this, too!

The below from NPR describes the laws being challenged:

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/06/59130...migration-laws

The DOJ has a pretty strong case. While the federal government cannot force state governments to enforce federal law, state governments cannot interfere with legitimate federal authority under the Constitution and inferior laws. CA crossed the line when they forbade or otherwise hindered the ability of private citizens from cooperating with federal authorities on a uniquely federal issue.
Your rationale would only apply--arguably--to the first law described, the one about employers. If successful, then you should think about what it would mean for any privacy rights states and local governments attempt to provide for employees and customers of businesses.

More on point, we are not talking about private citizens--we are talking about businesses. States and local jurisdictions can pass laws that impose requirements on businesses. There are States & towns where you can't sell liquor on a Sunday. Those governments imposed that regulation on businesses that operate in their jurisdiction.

If the feds show up with a warrant, then cooperation is mandatory and the feds can enter, regardless of California's law. ICE doesn't like to be bothered with warrants.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:

First and foremost I don't support sanctuary cities. We have a rule of law that should be followed. I have concerns about why Trump is targeting California. Why not Chicago or any other sanctuary city? What are his motives for attacking the 6th largest GDP in the world?

Why is California a sanctuary city? Unfortunately illegals contribute billions to California's GDP. It's always all about the coin.

This is a joyful emotional response. Yes.

hmmmm. Chicago? I lived there for 25+ years... How do you like driving up ashland and not seeing a single sign that is in english? Or how about all the illegals that fill up cook county jail?

Why California? Well maybe because they are leading the charge for the most lawlessness regarding cooperation with federal laws. Their mayors also obstruct justice and puts federal agents lives in danger.

Chicago will have their turn next. Emanuel's crooked behind is going to be toasted along with his buddy congressman guiterrez

Sounds like that one metaphor....If you chop the head off the snake, you disable the entire problem.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
California and its cities deserve to get sued. Put those mayors in jail. It's time we brought back a law and order mentality, that every city obey the law, and it's already enforced in every state.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Your rationale would only apply--arguably--to the first law described, the one about employers. If successful, then you should think about what it would mean for any privacy rights states and local governments attempt to provide for employees and customers of businesses.

More on point, we are not talking about private citizens--we are talking about businesses. States and local jurisdictions can pass laws that impose requirements on businesses. There are States & towns where you can't sell liquor on a Sunday. Those governments imposed that regulation on businesses that operate in their jurisdiction.

If the feds show up with a warrant, then cooperation is mandatory and the feds can enter, regardless of California's law. ICE doesn't like to be bothered with warrants.
Not when an issue is precluded/superseded by the Constitution's supremacy clause.

Also, the sale and regulation of alcohol is almost an inherently function of state law. In relevant part, the 21st Amendment reads:

Quote:
The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.
But, yes, my rationale applied primarily to employers and individuals, not to police officers. While not as strong of an argument, the same rationale applies to the law prohibiting cooperation from police departments (even if the department wants to) with the federal government on this issue. As is the case with private employers, the federal government cannot force states to implement federal law. But states cannot impermissibly interfere with the enforcement of federal law either. And prohibiting otherwise willing police departments from helping to enforce federal law. If the state had complete control over every police department within its boundaries, then this law would be different (indeed, inherent under the 10th Amendment, the right to not be compelled to enforce federal law includes the right to prohibit your subordinates from enforcing federal law). But CA does not have such control. That said, this may be a case for the California courts to hear; I know that federal courts can hear cases involving state law, but I'm not sure if this case meets the requirement for such.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:57 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,746,664 times
Quote:

Maybe he's going after them because they are leading the charge. Maybe it's because they are the most vocal about defying federal law. Plenty of good reasons here.

Illegals may contribute billions to the economy, but they ultimately cost taxpayers more than they contribute. There have been many studies that show this, by many groups. Of course, you can probably find studies on the other side that also say that's false, but whatever. I guess it's what you want to believe, since no news source an be trusted anymore... Although this report is pretty comprehensive.

https://fairus.org/sites/default/fil...ation-2017.pdf

The swelling population of illegal immigrants and their kids is costing American taxpayers $135 billion a year, the highest ever, driven by free medical care, education and a huge law enforcement bill, according to the the most authoritative report on the issue yet.

And despite claims from pro-illegal immigration advocates that the aliens pay significant off-setting taxes back to federal, state and local treasuries, the Federation for American Immigration Reform report tallied just $19 billion, making the final hit to taxpayers about $116 billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration