Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I believe you are deliberatly missing the impetus of mine and others responses to your question. But to answer them again, here goes....

1) Go get those jobs? Jobs aren't critters that can be rounded up, you know. The first thing is that while Americans will do these types of jobs, they will not do it for substandard wages and lack of benefits. Period. The second thing is, employers have realized that there is a segment of the job market (illegals) that are willing to work for substandard pay and no benefits. Thus they will only pay out the minimum they have to, and Americans are closed out (due to their refusal to accept low pay) of certain industries because of this.

2) I've never said (nor anyone else that I can think of) that employers are throwing Americans job applications into waste baskets. What we are saying is that Americans are not going to apply for a job that pays dirt. Illegals do.

3) Again, Americans will not work for slave wages.

4) I hear about businesses closing their doors so that they can move the company overseas, to pay locals third world wages. Not exactly on topic, I agree, but in my opinion outsourcing and illegal immigration are linked by corporate greed to exploit third world peoples and cheat the American blue collar worker.

5) I don't believe that ending the illegal problem will bring more immigrants into this country. But if it did, and they were legal they would be much less willing to take dirt wages with no benefits. The American worker and the immigrant would be on equel footing, and all would benefit.
Also, if illegal immigration ended, and more legal immigration took place at least we would have an idea who is in this country, and be able to keep out those with criminal histories and inclinations. That would be good, no?

So, in summation illegal immigration + corporate greed = low pay and no benefits. Low pay and no benefits = less Americans willing to do the job = increased illegals = more profits by businesses great and small.

Again, I would gladly pay twice for my strawberry/latte/pound of hamburger if it meant the blue collar class of the US were able to expand into the middle class again.
You missed it again...

Why not find these companies that hire illegals, apply for those jobs and sue if denied? Go there in masse with willing Americans and put those companies in direct fire so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I believe you are deliberatly missing the impetus of mine and others responses to your question. But to answer them again, here goes....

1) Go get those jobs? Jobs aren't critters that can be rounded up, you know. The first thing is that while Americans will do these types of jobs, they will not do it for substandard wages and lack of benefits. Period. The second thing is, employers have realized that there is a segment of the job market (illegals) that are willing to work for substandard pay and no benefits. Thus they will only pay out the minimum they have to, and Americans are closed out (due to their refusal to accept low pay) of certain industries because of this.

2) I've never said (nor anyone else that I can think of) that employers are throwing Americans job applications into waste baskets. What we are saying is that Americans are not going to apply for a job that pays dirt. Illegals do.

3) Again, Americans will not work for slave wages.

4) I hear about businesses closing their doors so that they can move the company overseas, to pay locals third world wages. Not exactly on topic, I agree, but in my opinion outsourcing and illegal immigration are linked by corporate greed to exploit third world peoples and cheat the American blue collar worker.

5) I don't believe that ending the illegal problem will bring more immigrants into this country. But if it did, and they were legal they would be much less willing to take dirt wages with no benefits. The American worker and the immigrant would be on equel footing, and all would benefit.
Also, if illegal immigration ended, and more legal immigration took place at least we would have an idea who is in this country, and be able to keep out those with criminal histories and inclinations. That would be good, no?

So, in summation illegal immigration + corporate greed = low pay and no benefits. Low pay and no benefits = less Americans willing to do the job = increased illegals = more profits by businesses great and small.

Again, I would gladly pay twice for my strawberry/latte/pound of hamburger if it meant the blue collar class of the US were able to expand into the middle class again.
Guess again. If I was out of work, I'd take whatever I could get..even LESS than minimum wage. SOME income will always beat NO income.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Honestly for all the complaints here in this forum about Hispanics being in your neighborhoods, speaking spanish in public, what would bringing them in legally really accomplish for your quality of life? I mean whether you bring them legally or them come in illegally they are still here.
Mach50:

Whether the illegal immigrants are Indian based 'Hispanics' speaking Spanish or Nordic White Swedes talking in their tongue------------illegal is illegal.

As for amnesty-----------after the flying of the Mexican flag 2 years ago----------no way!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mach50:

Whether the illegal immigrants are Indian based 'Hispanics' speaking Spanish or Nordic White Swedes talking in their tongue------------illegal is illegal.

As for amnesty-----------after the flying of the Mexican flag 2 years ago----------no way!
Visas limits will have to increased then IMO.

But back to my question, why aren't willing Americans applying for the illegals jobs en masse? Then if denied, filing Class Action lawsuits against said companies? Where is the evidence of Americans even applying?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Why bother? They will make more on unemployment than they'd make at the wages those people would hire them for. Don't you see that is the reason these illegals are hired in the first place - that they are willing to work for absurdly low pay - thus hurting us all?! /boggle
Then that's the companies to blame!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Honestly for all the complaints here in this forum about Hispanics being in your neighborhoods, speaking spanish in public etc...

What would bringing them in legally really accomplish for your quality of life? I mean whether you bring them legally or them come in illegally they are still here.
And I don't advocate allowing ANY immigrants...but currently, the illegals...by their very nature...sneak through. Because they don't USE the system to gain lawful status.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour
Why bother? They will make more on unemployment than they'd make at the wages those people would hire them for. Don't you see that is the reason these illegals are hired in the first place - that they are willing to work for absurdly low pay - thus hurting us all?! /boggle
This is missing the point, don't apply for the job to get the job for a low salary. Apply for the job to get denied, then sue that company for discrimination and have them investigated by ICE.

I mean if we really have people that want to do these jobs, then they won't mind if they get hired for the proper salary right?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Visas limits will have to increased then IMO.

But back to my question, why aren't willing Americans applying for the illegals jobs en masse? Then if denied, filing Class Action lawsuits against said companies? Where is the evidence of Americans even applying?
Simple.

With a 'bottomless' supply of illegal immigrants to draw from-------the employers in question have no need to offer proper wages/benefits for US citizens/green card holders.

You can take this to the bank; once the supply of illegals is shut of either by employer sanctions laws and/or strict identification/deportation policies---------then, the employers will either make an effort to entice folks to work for them, move their operations to Mexico (good riddance) or go out of business.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Simple.

With a 'bottomless' supply of illegal immigrants to draw from-------the employers in question have no need to offer proper wages/benefits for US citizens/green card holders.

You can take this to the bank; once the supply of illegals is shut of either by employer sanctions laws and/or strict identification/deportation policies---------then, the employers will either make an effort to entice folks to work for them, move their operations to Mexico (good riddance) or go out of business.
Why wait for that? How long is that going to take, would you really advise Americans to just sit on Welfare or unemployment until these jobs open up?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
One point you seem to be missing - or, unaware of is, even if say you, go to an employer, apply for a job that, in your belief, is currently being held by an illegal, privacy laws would prevent that employer from disclosing anything about ANY employee. In other words, you don't have the right to "demand" anything.

As for turning around and "sueing" the employer - IMLO, you would not have standing to do so.

The proper, and legal course of action would be to file a complaint with ICE - allow them, with their legal rights to investigate the employer and the employees - and, if there are illegals employed, ICE can then take them into custody. If the employer is in say, Arizona, a complaint against the employer can then be brought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration