Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
She said it right here:

— Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Texas Comptroller

.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/undocumented/undocumented.pdf
According to that statement that you posted, they are more of a help than a burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
None of it was true and it all came out when she was running for governer, she was just trying to get the hispanic vote and it didn't work...

Geez, you keep making statements without backing it up with facts etc. You believe part of what she said when it suits your need but when it goes against what you like then she's lying?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I Was taking about me not you. I also have to pay for my insurance as you do too. I also have to pay taxes for schools too, and I don't have any kids in school, it is just something you do.
sassyone: your pro illegal bias is borderline treason IMHO

If enablers like you were to be stripped of your citizenship then deported with no chance of being allowed back into the USA-----------your actions would be a whole lot different.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

If enablers like you were to be stripped of your citizenship then deported with no chance of being allowed back into the USA-----------your actions would be a whole lot different.
Agreed. I also agree with those who think the illegal enablers and supporters should have exclusive responsibility for footing the bills of illegal aliens. If they "benefit" so from their presence, let them pay, not us.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

HAHA, Faux patriotism anyone?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed. I also agree with those who think the illegal enablers and supporters should have exclusive responsibility for footing the bills of illegal aliens. If they "benefit" so from their presence, let them pay, not us.
Bet you weren't complaing when everything was fine and dandy back then.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
HAHA, Faux patriotism anyone?
If you are harboring any illegals---------you are are playing with fire as well.

Things have gotten much tougher for the pro illegal crowd compared to 3 years ago......and, will tighten down further yet.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM

219 posts, read 425,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Houston, I take it you're in Houston? We have them all over the place in Phoenix too!

I'm in Utah and never knew - I mean I knew they were here - but that march they did awhile back, there was miles and miles of them everywhere. They came out from under every rock, crack, hole, etc. It was scary!

And to the post earlier by Blacknight saying the illegals are worth 17 Mill. Everytime numbers are added up on what taxpayers spend on illegals these number ONLY include foodstamps, medicaid, possibly housing, it does not include WIC, ESL classes, educating their kids (or should I say putting the whole class on hold while they try to catch them up) ER bills not paid, cost of public defenders when they commit a crime, cost of keeping them in prison/jail I could go on and on. The REAL cost of having them here doesn't include these bills and when and if they ever do add up the REAL cost you will see EVERYTIME they are in the negative.

Here is a good article about it http://ohmygov.com/blogs/general_new...mmigrants.aspx

Last edited by AnnaGrrrrrl; 07-07-2008 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
According to that statement that you posted, they are more of a help than a burden.
Did you bother to read the entire article?
Ms. Strayhorn's claim that the illegals contribute $17 billion to the Texas gross state product does not stand up to scrutiny, IMO.
First of all she states the according to the Pew Hispanic there were between 1.4 and 1.6 million illegal aliens in Texas. She opts to go with the lower figure for the purposes of her study. Fair enough. I have no idea, nor are there any clues in the article or bibliography, as to just HOW she came up with the $17.7 billion figure. For now, let's leave that as one of the Great Cosmic Mysteries.
She attempts to demonstrate that if the 1.4 million illegal aliens were to be removed, the TX economy would suffer a loss of $17.7 billion. To me, this is where things get 'funny':

Quote:
These data then can be put into the Comptroller’s Regional Economic Model, Inc. (REMI) model to investigate the impact of undocumented immigrants on the Texas economy. This is accomplished by instructing REMI to act as if these immigrants were to suddenly vanish from Texas and then to examine the degree to which the underlying economic forecast for the state and for each region would be affected. The implicit assumption is 1.4 million undocumented immigrants have employment and spending patterns consistent with Hispanics in Texas with similar age and gender profiles.

To gauge the economic impact of undocumented immigrants, one additional change must be made in the REMI model. Because REMI is a general equilibrium model, it tries to compensate for changes in a variety of ways. In the case of workers eliminated from a region, the model assumes new workers will be recruited to make up for their loss.
While this is an expected “real-world” result, a true test of the effects of unauthorized immigrants would be seen only if the REMI model were prevented from importing additional workers into the state in compensation.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/specia...documented.pdf

This does not make any sense. She tweaks the state's economic modeling so that it gives data based on the scenario of all the illegals leaving and VIRTUALLY NO ONE REPLACING THEM in their jobs. And then proceeds to extrapolate all sorts of additional dire effects that will come about as the years go by and no one ever works on a road crew again. This is nonsense. The illegals have not come here and created new jobs that can be performed ONLY by them. Virtually all the jobs they do were previously filled by American workers. If they leave, teens will go back to working at Burger King like they have done for decades before the arrival of all the illegals.

Quote:
Unauthorized migrants make up a large share of all workers in a few more detailed occupational categories. They were 24% of all workers employed in farming occupations, 17% in cleaning, 14% in construction and 12% in food preparation industries. Within those categories, unauthorized workers were a very large share of all workers in certain specific occupations. For example, the unauthorized were 36% of all insulation workers and 29% of all roofers and drywall installers, 27% of all butchers and other food processing workers.
http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/61.pdf

Take the 29% of roofers and drywallers who are illegal, if they leave Americans will fill the positions. It is beyond ridiculous to imply that no one is going to fill those jobs. America has always had a thriving housing industry. We don't need them. We never did. This $17.7 billion contribution comes from them working jobs that in almost all cases citizens previously held. If they leave Americans can go back to work. Who knows how many families have been forced to collect unemployment or use food stamps because they could no longer get work? She, of course, never considers the cost of increased need for gov. assistance by out of work Americans in her calculations. Or the increase in property values in neighborhoods they move out of, the less crowded schools and hospitals that are no longer on the hook for medical care of nonpaying illegals. Taking the situation as a whole, I have a real hard time believing that there is any significant benefit to illegal immigration.
On a closing note, this study was done over 3 years ago. One of the strongest indicators that it in nonsense to me is the fact that other states with illegal alien populations have not also done studies that come up with similar results. Why has CA not been able to demonstrate this financial advantage to having millions of illegal aliens? Or NY? Or IL? Or even Rhode Island?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
they need to fine the ones renting to, and hiring them. plain and simple. no work, no reason to stay. they also should not be eligible for ANY social benefits. the more you subsidize something, the more of it you get. so fine the ones that hire and rent to them. no place to work, no place to live, no free handouts, problem solves itself. don't have to deport anyone, they will all go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration