Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is your state handling the illegal invasion?
Very well, our state is on top it 7 11.86%
Was really bad, but things are getting better 5 8.47%
Lots of talk, but no results 18 30.51%
Sanctuary state 29 49.15%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

148 posts, read 389,489 times

Advertisements

How would you rank the illegal immigration in your state. Please mention the state and why you voted the way you did.

If your state is doing a terrible job, please list the politicians (congressmen, governor etc..) So we all can write to them asking them to do their job by enforcing the law and give authorities the funds to do their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:07 PM

148 posts, read 389,489 times
NEW YORK - Although NYC is a sanctuary city, atleast the state assembly said NO to driver's licenses for illegals.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
How would you rank the illegal immigration in your state. Please mention the state and why you voted the way you did.

If your state is doing a terrible job, please list the politicians (congressmen, governor etc..) So we all can write to them asking them to do their job by enforcing the law and give authorities the funds to do their jobs.
VIRGINIA- Has done a pretty mixed job. Can depend on the part of Virginia. Hampton Roads has done a pretty good job, but mainly it was pushed into action after two HS girls were killed by an illegal alien drunk driver. Northern Virginia mainly Alexandria (Bill Euille and the city council), Arlington (Walter Tejada and anyone else in their govt), Fairfax County (pretty much the whole county) have all but put out the doormat for illegal aliens and are giving them everything but the kitchen sink. Prince William and Loudoun counties have taken actions to crack down. The rest of Virginia is pretty so-so. Our governor Tim Kaine (boy i regret supporting him) is very pro-illegal and refuses to let VA state police work with ICE. Our senator Jim Webb is very pro-illegal also.

All in all, Virginia aint the best or worst state when it comes to illegals. Thankfully Kaine cant run for another term as VA governor so things may improve in the next govenor election.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Illinois. Most citizens here hate the illegals, most politicians don't. Obama is from Illinois, that should give you a clue.

Mayor Daley from Chicago is a big bastard, he should be elected out of office. Raises taxes everyday.

Gov. Blagoyavitch or however you spell it. Guy is another bastard, corrupt, and supports illegals.

What needs to get done is to have a nation wide website or place where we can learn who supports illegal amnesty, who doesn't, and vote for the people who don't. If we vote for congress people and senators, mayors, governor's, etc all over the country who are against illegals, we might be able to get rid of them.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Maryland. A sanctuary state that continues to issue drivers’ licenses to illegal aliens; essentially enabling them to register to vote. However, due to demands from the “legal†citizens of this state who are sick of illegal aliens, some areas are enacting laws to combat this problem. Senators Barbara Mikulski and Benjamin Cardin are worthless panderers.

Unfortunately, many illegals fleeing Virginia have relocated to more hospitable areas in Maryland. My mom told me they just passed a new law prohibiting the parking of cars on lawns. Funny, this was never an issue prior to the invasion.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Ohio - Lots of talk but the "issue" is never brought up and no plans of any sort is being produced to fix the problem... I consider it a "sanctuary" state... there are illegals here and they are for the most part nice people, I wouldn't mind having them as neighbors, that is if they get back in line to apply for citizenship... There are hundreds of thousands of people waiting in line to get in... line jumpers are not appreciated and should be sent to the back of the line...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Nebraska --- not an official sanctuary state, nonetheless it is. Forgive me if I have told this story before, but to give an example....when my dh and I were being fingerprinted for the fourth time (!) by the State Patrol in order for our son to become a LEGAL citizen of this country, the officer was telling us how the state patrol regularily stops vanloads of illegals driving the I-80 corrider, when they call ICE to come pick them up, they are told "hey, not our problem....let Chicago deal with it, thats where they are headed". The officer then said that one of the patrolmen solved this problem by having the illegals vehicle towed before calling ICE....then they are forced to take them into custody. And when that happens, ICE is really angry.
Another anecdote is a boy my niece worked with at a nursing home. He was illegal and was arrested numerous times on various charges, and always let go even though his illegal status was known. His last arrest was in connection with a knifing....he is still here, illegally.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:10 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Let's see-New Hampshire. Although not a HUGE illegal population- between the time I moved here in 1999 until now there has been a HUGE increase in the number of illegals.

I see the beginning of what I saw when the illegals first started to take over towns in my home state of New Jersey and it makes me ill.

Earlier in the year-around the time of the NH primary-a NH representative was about to introduce a bill to make NH a sanctuary state. Fortunately since it was around the primary Tom Tancredo made it public and people heard about it and it was squashed. Unfortunately though-there have been bills introduced to allow police to handle immigration duties-similar to 287g duties and they have failed. They still refuse to pass a bill where you have to show some id to vote. Many of the churches-like elsewhere are very pro- illegal alien as well.

Also a lot of people up here live with their head in the sand. They think we could never become like Texas or California and that it is not a huge problem-however at least a few times a week there are news stories on illegals being arrested for one crime or another. In our cities-all the social services and other offices workers need to be billingual in Spanish. We also have the liberals who think diversity is wonderful at all costs-even by coming here illegally. Then there are those who consider one racist if you are against illegals. However, I think people are starting to wake up a tiny bit as you do see letters in the paper more often than before talking about illegal aliens.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Arizona - was really bad, but is getting much better

Georgia - was a lot like Az. - they're getting it together now, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration