Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:48 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times

Advertisements

This is the story of the many couples in interracial relationships, mostly white women and Mexican men, who live in the town of Shenandoah, Pa. This summer, the town garnered national media attention when a group of white teenagers killed a Mexican man who had a white girlfriend.

Amid an environment of racial harassment, these couples also live with the uncertainty that they could one day be separated because their partner is not in the United States legally.

This is the case of Ruben*, a 39-year-old Mexican, who came to Shenandoah 10 years ago and lives with his partner of five years, 28-year-old Susan*.

Marriage is not a possibility for Ruben, who entered the country illegally and would need to return to Mexico and wait for 10 years before gaining legal status. He prefers to stay here with his three children and his girlfriend, ignoring the occasional insults shouted at him in the street by white teenagers, who call him a "dirty Mexican" or a "*******."

Susan says she has also been the object of disapproving glances and comments for having a Mexican partner.

"It doesn't happen every day, but occasionally they've told me that I'm dirty to be with a 'dirty Mexican,'" says Susan. "I feel more welcome in the Latino community," she adds.

Forbidden Love: Mixed-Race Couples Face Violence in Pennsylvania Town - NAM

I'm sure those chubby chica's showing up and posturing only served to fan the flames. As the trial heats up it's only going to get uglier . . .

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-23-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Anyone harrassing interracial couples are *******s, plain and simple. That type of crap is beneath who we are as a nation (or should I say, who we should strive to be).

Now, I do take offense at them having three children together and not being married. I do take offense at them putting their children in a risky financial situation that if dad gets deported where would that leave the family. On purely speculative notes, I do wonder who is listed as their father on their birth certificates? I do wonder if this 'single' mother is receiving state aid. I do wonder how far this womans love for her man and the latino community goes....if he is deported, would she take the children and go with him for the ten years necessary for him to come back legally?
Those are questions I wish the reporter had asked as well.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
If the 'Mexicans' in question here here legally-------I would be pissed due to them being hassled for simply looking stereotypically 'Hispanic'.

Being that they are indeed illegals-----------oh, well.

Side note: where is the racism against the dark skinned Anglos? Sicilians come to mind------and, Pa has lots of Americans of Italian heritage.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
More family values.....3 kids and no marriage.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
That illegal was not with his older shack-up girlfriend in that park when he got into a fight. He was with a young teenage girl.

The reason Ruben can't get married here is because he's already married back in Mexico. There is no 10 year wait for family sponsored immigrants. He could go back and they could marry right now if it weren't for his earlier still legal marriage back home. There still could be a wait but if they followed the legal process then it would be far less than 10 years wait.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM

The other reason Susan doesn't care about marrying the father of her children would be the welfare system makes it better to list herself as a "single homemaker" rather than be married to an illegal who works for dirt wages and sends his money back to his other wife and kids.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That illegal was not with his older shack-up girlfriend in that park when he got into a fight. He was with a young teenage girl.

The reason Ruben can't get married here is because he's already married back in Mexico. There is no 10 year wait for family sponsored immigrants. He could go back and they could marry right now if it weren't for his earlier still legal marriage back home. There still could be a wait but if they followed the legal process then it would be far less than 10 years wait.
Interesting info, thanks Malamute! I have heard about them leaving behind wives and droves of children only to come here and procreate new families of anchor babies and shack up with the "mother". More of their twisted, delusional thinking.

It never ceases to amaze me that they have no problem leaving behind their family when it's suits them. Yet when it comes time for la migra to arrest and deport them, then we become guilty of "separating their families."

Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The other reason Susan doesn't care about marrying the father of her children would be the welfare system makes it better to list herself as a "single homemaker" rather than be married to an illegal who works for dirt wages and sends his money back to his other wife and kids.
That’s precisely how they 'work' the system. When they need a "raise" they simply extend their family.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s precisely how they 'work' the system. When they need a "raise" they simply extend their family.
If this wasn't so disgusting, it would be funny.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Interesting info, thanks Malamute! I have heard about them leaving behind wives and droves of children only to come here and procreate new families of anchor babies and shack up with the "mother". More of their twisted, delusional thinking.

It never ceases to amaze me that they have no problem leaving behind their family when it's suits them. Yet when it comes time for la migra to arrest and deport them, then we become guilty of "separating their families."
That's why I had to call that one bull because it simply is not true at all that it takes family sponsored immigrants 10 years wait.

This Susan and Ruben obviously have their other reasons for him staying illegal and not marrying. She could easily -- with a few inconveniences marry him and sponsor him if that's all it was, the waiting time would be significantly less than 10 years. If they married (after his divorce of course) he would be obligated to contribute to the financial support of his three kids and that might not get Susan what the welfare life does. This way she gets her full welfare handouts, he keeps what income he brings in or it provides the little extras that welfare doesn't provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration