Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I am sick and tired of the term ethnically diverse. I think it is just a code word for communities and neighborhoods full of immigrants that have a case of White and Black (American Born) Flight.

I rarely see a white majority in a so called diverse community. In fact diverse really means not many whites. I also see a black flight from these rich immigrant communities. If alot of Hispanics move into the neighborhood, then the blacks move out.

What is the real definition of a "diverse community"?
Racial diversity or economic diversity? I believe that most people are fine with racial diversity as long as everyone is on the same page financially. It is when there is a sudden economic diversity in an area that flight happens, i.e. twenty single men to one home etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I know! In Coto all the white men are working so that their wives can get more plastic surgery, the few Asians/Indians are studying and don't really like the whole "working outside" thing, and there are like no black people at all. Who is going to do my yard work? I just have to put up with hearing - uhh, I can't even bear to say it -- Spaaaanish for a couple hours per day while the short brown guys are out in the yard. You'd think that I could get a white kid to do it for me for just as cheap, but all the Huntington kids are too busy smoking pot and surfing and all the kids around here are at the mall spending their parents' money. It's really getting tough and I might have to move to Catalina or something to get away from this madness.
Que?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Well, you're like way too young to remember this but California was paradise before all the liberals and Mexicans took over. The last 20 years have been brutal.
In all seriousness: when I got to SoCal back in 1980 it was going bad-----fast.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Racial diversity or economic diversity? I believe that most people are fine with racial diversity as long as everyone is on the same page financially. It is when there is a sudden economic diversity in an area that flight happens, i.e. twenty single men to one home etc...
Even that can be subdivided: a bunch of single guys (of any race/ethnicity) all of whom going to graduate school would not likely raise any eyebrows. Now; 20 in a small house would be excessive.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all seriousness: when I got to SoCal back in 1980 it was going bad-----fast.
What's bad though?

LA is still growing..it was originally built as a bunch of small towns, but its become an alpha world city.

The only thing bad about LA and Southern California is the outrageous cost of living.
The Latino culture hasn't ruined the region.

The thing most people seem to be bitter about is that they remember LA when it was still Anytown, USA. Perfect weather, suburban neighborhoods, orange groves, brand new bungalows, brand new streets.

LA is a very young city, and as it grows older and bigger, its become grittier.
You never hear people in New York cry about how much the city has changed for the worst, and how the immigrants are ruining it.
Because its always been an old, big city full of immigrants.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
What's bad though?

LA is still growing..it was originally built as a bunch of small towns, but its become an alpha world city.

The only thing bad about LA and Southern California is the outrageous cost of living.
The Latino culture hasn't ruined the region.

The thing most people seem to be bitter about is that they remember LA when it was still Anytown, USA. Perfect weather, suburban neighborhoods, orange groves, brand new bungalows, brand new streets.

LA is a very young city, and as it grows older and bigger, its become grittier.
You never hear people in New York cry about how much the city has changed for the worst, and how the immigrants are ruining it.
Because its always been an old, big city full of immigrants.
You pretty much summed it up with the high cost of living--------it was bad back in ca. 1980.

The 'Anytown' comment resonates with me as well..............I am bummed that I had to grow up in nasty 'back east'----------not SoCal.

NYC I have never personally liked-----------I fould it repulsive even in the 1960's.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Even that can be subdivided: a bunch of single guys (of any race/ethnicity) all of whom going to graduate school would not likely raise any eyebrows. Now; 20 in a small house would be excessive.
hmm, I think it would. One of the first signs of a neighborhood going downhill is the sudden appearance of rental homes in an areal that was previously home owners only.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444
Well, you're like way too young to remember this but California was paradise before all the liberals and Mexicans took over. The last 20 years have been brutal.
Brutal? LOL! I've been living in California all of my life and have seen progression. Although in some areas I must say, have gotten worse. Oakland, CA comes to mind.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:28 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
This is a really great assessment/post. That being said, my suburban neighborhood and those surrounding it are very ethnically diverse. There are whites, blacks, asians, pakistanis and a few iranians. I live near Argonne Labs which is a government facility that primarily employs scientists, engineers and IT professionals. While many of them wear their native dress, and sometimes speak in their native tongue, I have yet to meet anyone who does not speak English. Because they are educated, they seem to have no problem assimilating. They are respectful of our laws, our culture and are grateful to be here.

Believe me, there is a humongous difference in those who are sane, humble and educated that immigrate to the US to work legally vs. illiterate peasants who thumb their noses at the rule of law, are jealous of and hate America and whose ultimate goal is to procreate for the purpose of future chain migration in their quest to destroy us.

Rep points!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
What I don't like is that areas which have developed a wonderful diversity over the last 30-40 years are wiped out by an overwhelming sudden flow of immigrants from Mexico. It doesn't take that many home or apartments as so many live in each unit.

Economic diversity is possible - in my area, of East Dallas it is like a small town with mansions and estates down to shotgun shacks north of Fair Park and all manner of duplexes, eightplexes, small apartment buildings, condos and townhomes. However, my area has gotten expensive over the last 6-7 years. Prices have tripled or quadrupled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration