Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 AM

136 posts, read 292,353 times

Advertisements

Illegal baby boom hits Big Easy

Let's do some simple mathematics here:

A wrecked city + rising crime rates + rising unemployment + slow city rebuilding + a bad economy + an anchor baby boom =

I don't think an explanation is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:54 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post

A wrecked city + rising crime rates + rising unemployment + slow city rebuilding + a bad economy + an anchor baby boom =

Much of the crime is directed at illegals, not by them.
How many of the decent people of New Orleans have returned?
Admittedly not knowing much of the situation over there, I have the impression that the city hasn't rebounded too well and is still in a somewhat chaotic state.

The demographics have definitely changed, there are many immigrants(illegal and otherwise) that are there rebuilding the city. Why not Americans? I don't know.

But are the illegals really responsible for a wrecked city, rising crime rates(New Orleans used to be safe??!), slow city rebuilding, and a bad economy?

Or is this just the lingering effects of a devastating natural disaster and incompetent city officials not doing enough to bring New Orleans back on it's feet?

How many native New Orleanians have returned to their city?

You, who I assume isn't actually from New Orleans, seem more angry about the illegal presence in the city, than the actual hurricane that destroyed it, and the weak effort at rebuilding it.
Which do you think was the bigger issue in New Orleans?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Much of the crime is directed at illegals, not by them.
How many of the decent people of New Orleans have returned?
Admittedly not knowing much of the situation over there, I have the impression that the city hasn't rebounded too well and is still in a somewhat chaotic state.

The demographics have definitely changed, there are many immigrants(illegal and otherwise) that are there rebuilding the city. Why not Americans? I don't know.

But are the illegals really responsible for a wrecked city, rising crime rates(New Orleans used to be safe??!), slow city rebuilding, and a bad economy?

Or is this just the lingering effects of a devastating natural disaster and incompetent city officials not doing enough to bring New Orleans back on it's feet?

How many native New Orleanians have returned to their city?

You, who I assume isn't actually from New Orleans, seem more angry about the illegal presence in the city, than the actual hurricane that destroyed it, and the weak effort at rebuilding it.
Which do you think was the bigger issue in New Orleans?
Hmm, a city is wrecked by a natural disaster and with crime and poverty on the rise it's only good see that more poverty-stricken illegals and their anchor babies move in.

So homegrown poverty + illegal poverty + the anchor babies of the illegal poverty = no additional problems, right?

Yep no problems. No overcrowding of schools or the funding of medical care for illegals by taxpayers? And the anchor babies of illegal poverty growing up in poverty definitely won't resort to crime, right?

I WANT ALL illegals out. The reconstruction of New Orleans is a responsibility for the government and American citizens to solve. It's no excuse of illegals to flood in and potentially add more problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
Hmm, a city is wrecked by a natural disaster and with crime and poverty on the rise it's only good see that more poverty-stricken illegals and their anchor babies move in.

So homegrown poverty + illegal poverty + the anchor babies of the illegal poverty = no additional problems, right?

Yep no problems. No overcrowding of schools or the funding of medical care for illegals by taxpayers? And the anchor babies of illegal poverty growing up in poverty definitely won't resort to crime, right?

I WANT ALL illegals out. The reconstruction of NO is a responsibility for the government and American citizens to solve.
Find me some evidence that shows illegals are the cause of rising crime in New Orleans. Please.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Find me some evidence that shows illegals are the cause of rising crime in New Orleans. Please.
I never claimed that they were the cause of rising crime.

But when you add more poverty to an already poverty-stricken city what do you likely get? A booming metropolis or a rise in crime?

And what will likely happen when the anchor babies of already poverty-stricken illegals grow up in an already poverty-stricken city? Hmm, extremely bright students or people more likely to turn to crime?

Are you suggesting that by importing poverty and anchor babies to an already damaged city that it's somehow going to turn out alright?

Not only that, the illegals can qualify for health care from a struggling city once they crank out anchor babies and the school system is facing overcrowding. Lovely situation, isn't it? Adding more poverty to present poverty is the great, don't you think?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Illegal aliens by their mere presence are criminals by default-----------and, you know that. Factor in ID theft, etc. and there you are.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Katrina Begets a Baby Boom by Immigrants
By EDUARDO PORTER

NEW ORLEANS — First came the storm. Then came the workers. Now comes the baby boom.
In the latest twist to the demographic transformation of New Orleans since it was swamped by Hurricane Katrina last year, hundreds of babies are being born to Latino immigrant workers, both legal and illegal, who flocked to the city to toil on its reconstruction.
The throng of babies gurgling in the handful of operational maternity wards here has come as a big surprise — and a financial strain — to this historically black and white city, which before the hurricane had only a small Latino community and virtually no experience of illegal immigration.
“Of all the myriad things that have changed after Katrina, this wasn’t high on anybody’s priority list,” said Dr. Mark Peters, chief executive of East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie.
Because many immigrant mothers cannot afford to pay for prenatal care or delivery services, New Orleans’s newest citizens are adding an unexpected load to the decimated health infrastructure in a city abandoned by many of its doctors. Much of the state-financed Charity Hospital system, which before Hurricane Katrina provided the bulk of care to New Orleans’s uninsured and indigent population, remains closed.
Lacking health insurance and barred from most government assistance, expectant immigrant mothers can go to only the handful of charitable clinics that are still operating and that do not question a woman’s immigration status when offering low-cost prenatal care.
“Prenatal care is our daily nightmare,” said Shaula Lovera, the program coordinator for the Latino Health Access Network, an outreach service operated by Catholic Charities.
The two health units providing prenatal care run by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals saw more than 1,200 pregnant women from January to mid-November. Virtually all were Latino immigrants.
“Before the storm, only 2 percent were Hispanic; now about 96 percent are Hispanic,” said Beth Perriloux, the head nurse in the department’s health unit in Metairie.
There are so many pregnant women that the clinics have reached capacity. Dr. Erin Brewer, the department’s medical director, said, “We’ve gone from having a maternity clinic two to three days a week to five days a week.”
Many immigrant women are forgoing prenatal care and showing up, ready to deliver, in hospital emergency rooms, where they are required to be seen even if they are in the country illegally.

Katrina Begets a Baby Boom by Immigrants - New York Times

Cheap labor comes at a price to the tax payers.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Because many immigrant mothers cannot afford to pay for prenatal care or delivery services, New Orleans’s newest citizens are adding an unexpected load to the decimated health infrastructure in a city abandoned by many of its doctors. Much of the state-financed Charity Hospital system, which before Hurricane Katrina provided the bulk of care to New Orleans’s uninsured and indigent population, remains closed.
Hmm, whatever side of the illegal immigration debate you fall on, you have to agree that this poses a problem for a city already struggling, even before Katrina, which I think was the OP's point. If it were a booming city that could absorb the impact, like where I live, then maybe... but for a city with limited resources, a crippled economy, an undereducated populace, etc., a city that can barely take care of its own residents, this is not exactly good news.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:

I lived in New Orleans and I never saw a Mexican...but I certainly saw a lot of crime! Just because you hate Mexicans, doesn't mean they are the source of the crime in the nation's most crime-ridden city over the past century. Any city that was the murder capital of the US can't claim that "illegals are ruining our city"...corruption, poverty, Mother Nature and alcohol are much more to blame than Paco and Maria's little Juan.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:51 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I lived in New Orleans and I never saw a Mexican...but I certainly saw a lot of crime! Just because you hate Mexicans, doesn't mean they are the source of the crime in the nation's most crime-ridden city over the past century. Any city that was the murder capital of the US can't claim that "illegals are ruining our city"...corruption, poverty, Mother Nature and alcohol are much more to blame than Paco and Maria's little Juan.
Lived being the operative word in your whole post. What is there now is quite different than what was there before the hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration