Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

The alleged incident took place on Tuesday, when the immigration officer somehow obtained a telephone number for Mr. Campos and called and identified himself as his lawyer, “Joel.” The caller offered to take Mr. Campos to a detention centre to see his wife, Marta, who had been arrested the previous day along with the couple's daughter.
“Naturally, when the caller identified himself as Joel, I believed he was referring to Mr. Sandaluk,” Mr. Campos said, in a written statement. “I asked him twice if it was safe for me to see my wife since immigration authorities were also looking for me. He assured me that I wouldn't be detained.”

globeandmail.com: Illegal immigrant nabbed after agent allegedly posed as his lawyer (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090117.widentity17/BNStory/National/home - broken link)

The outcome of this incident will be interesting. From a legal standpoint, I don't see the attorney or the illegal alien coming out on the winning side of this issue as the agent did not identify himself as an attorney, he simply used the name "Joel".

Kudos for his creativity in getting this scum out of the country. I also applaud the ingenuity of the officer and wish him all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Too funny! It reminds me of some of the ‘sting’ operations being used in DC. One involved calling warrant dodgers to advise them of free tickets to the Wizards basketball game. They had to claim their tickets at a designated location and time. The dummies fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Too funny! It reminds me of some of the ‘sting’ operations being used in DC. One involved calling warrant dodgers to advise them of free tickets to the Wizards basketball game. They had to claim their tickets at a designated location and time. The dummies fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
They did that one once in Chicago as well. Comedic gold. More of our agents should be as creative as "Joel".

Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
Good luck with your case mr. campo. I will be happy to represent you for free. I'm not a lawyer, I don't want you in my country and I'm totally drunk, but I promise to represent you to the best of my ability.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
our law system leaves much to be desired. cop catches the illegal and deports him. why the massive discussion and review. we have become disfunctional. probably bek we have refused to enforce the law for so long when we do they think there is something wrong with us.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
our law system leaves much to be desired. cop catches the illegal and deports him. why the massive discussion and review. we have become disfunctional. probably bek we have refused to enforce the law for so long when we do they think there is something wrong with us.
Unfortunately, our laws are so rarely enforced it becomes newsworthy when they are. It’s a sad commentary indeed.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Good luck with your case mr. campo. I will be happy to represent you for free. I'm not a lawyer, I don't want you in my country and I'm totally drunk, but I promise to represent you to the best of my ability.
awesome

Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unfortunately, our laws are so rarely enforced it becomes newsworthy when they are. It’s a sad commentary indeed.
I agree with what both you and Huck stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration