Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Being in a family of Brasilian Immigrants, my family assimilated perfectly... but in all reality, I wish they didn't. After moving to Miami, I'm so much more happy in the South American culture than I am in the "American way". I don't understand how you can be so quick to judge a person's IQ based on simply because they immigrate here!

There's nothing wrong with holding on to your culture when you come to the USA, what culture do americans have? Nascar and beer? Hell, the only thing we do is complain about how everyone who has a native language other than English is illegal!

Learn a new language, open your mind to new cultures and you're life will be much happier.

I by no means look Brasilian, so don't think they treat me any differently because I'm brasilian. I look completely anglo, and I learned spanish and portuguese as 2nd and 3rd languages. But when I'm around the latinos, they are so much nicer, open and friendly than any white-dominated city. I think if you'd spend some time around these people with an open mind, you'd see they are some of the best and most loyal people you'll ever meet in your life.

You can't look into the ghettos and blame them for bringing crime, I don't care what race they are be it white, black, asian, mexican, colombian, cuban... chances are if they are in an area with poverty there is going to be crime.
It sounds like you are much happier living with Brazilian culture and others of South American heritage. So tell me, why did your family come here? Why on earth would anyone want to leave Brazil for the, according to you, cultural wasteland of NASCAR and beer that exists in the US? Plus the unfriendly anglos. What did you come here for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It sounds like you are much happier living with Brazilian culture and others of South American heritage. So tell me, why did your family come here? Why on earth would anyone want to leave Brazil for the, according to you, cultural wasteland of NASCAR and beer that exists in the US? Plus the unfriendly anglos. What did you come here for?
You've GOT to be kidding....go back home and leave all THIS ??? Get real. Let people "vent"...

(Just like the teenager, mad at his parents for treating him like he's "in a concentration camp".....but he STILL wants his allowance....and of course, hopes they'll let him 'borrow the car' this weekend)...

Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Well, lets limit our comparison to legal Hispanic immigrants to the legal Italian and Jewish immigrants of the past....

The Italians, the Jews and lets throw in the Irish were horribly descriminated against. They were not allowed inside some businesses, and were looked at as less then human. I know that will shock some of you out there that believe there is some 'white club' where we all get along But no! They were roundly hated, feared and descriminated against. They were thought to harbor diseases and to be uneducated. Of course, that was true. Living two or three or even four families to a two bedroom walk up tenement with no plumbing tends to breed disease. And, as a general rule, they weren't educated at all. Certainly not the Irish, but that is a different thread.
But....they learned English, worked at ****ty jobs and encouraged their children to get an education and make better lives for themselves outside of the ghetto.
Now there are Hispanic immigrants who certainly have it much better then immigrants of old. I mean, their language is all over the place, they never have to fear about how to pay a doctor or a lawyer for that matter. There are public services such as food stamps and section 8. Plus, the quality of public education has certainly improved not only for their children, but for them as well. I mean, not many children are being forced to quit school in the 8th grade to work in a packing house to help support the family, are they? My grandfather had to.....and it was a shame, as he was absolutely brilliant with numbers.
So yeah....I would have to say that todays immigrant have nothing to complain about.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Being in a family of Brasilian Immigrants, my family assimilated perfectly... but in all reality, I wish they didn't. After moving to Miami, I'm so much more happy in the South American culture than I am in the "American way". I don't understand how you can be so quick to judge a person's IQ based on simply because they immigrate here!

There's nothing wrong with holding on to your culture when you come to the USA, what culture do americans have? Nascar and beer? Hell, the only thing we do is complain about how everyone who has a native language other than English is illegal!

Learn a new language, open your mind to new cultures and you're life will be much happier.

I by no means look Brasilian, so don't think they treat me any differently because I'm brasilian. I look completely anglo, and I learned spanish and portuguese as 2nd and 3rd languages. But when I'm around the latinos, they are so much nicer, open and friendly than any white-dominated city. I think if you'd spend some time around these people with an open mind, you'd see they are some of the best and most loyal people you'll ever meet in your life.

You can't look into the ghettos and blame them for bringing crime, I don't care what race they are be it white, black, asian, mexican, colombian, cuban... chances are if they are in an area with poverty there is going to be crime.
Ah, the old Nascar and beer theory as it applies to American culture. Hey, just because our women don't dance in the streets with pasties and g-strings doesn't mean we are the cultural wasteland.

(See how I did that? I just took the rich and varied culture and history and people of Brazil and boiled it down to a half dressed *****.....not accurate is it? Maybe there is a lesson to be learned for you....)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You've GOT to be kidding....go back home and leave all THIS ??? Get real. Let people "vent"...

(Just like the teenager, mad at his parents for treating him like he's "in a concentration camp".....but he STILL wants his allowance....and of course, hopes they'll let him 'borrow the car' this weekend)...
Haha! What a great analogy. The 'teenagers' of the world (illegal aliens) are flocking to the US. They want to speak their own lingo, which is incomprehensible to many adults, travel in packs with others like themselves, dress in ways that clearly mark them as teenagers, constantly criticize anything and everything about their 'parents' then ask for $20 so they can go see 'Alien vs. Predator' or something like that.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ah, the old Nascar and beer theory as it applies to American culture. Hey, just because our women don't dance in the streets with pasties and g-strings doesn't mean we are the cultural wasteland.

(See how I did that? I just took the rich and varied culture and history and people of Brazil and boiled it down to a half dressed *****.....not accurate is it? Maybe there is a lesson to be learned for you....)
I wasn't saying that, but the views on this board definitely fit the beer drinking nascar culture.

You come back with your remarks at the Brasilian culture just as I do at the American culture when post after post after post is derrogatory towards hispanics and South Americans.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Don't get me started, I love the USA and the opportunity. I'm just defending immigrants from the misunderstandings and racism on this board.

If you would maybe look in the world politics section I'm the only damn American defending the USA from those Europeans who spend their whole day bashing US. Don't try to make me look unamerican because chances are I'm more patriotic than anyone here hating on the South Americans.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, lets limit our comparison to legal Hispanic immigrants to the legal Italian and Jewish immigrants of the past....

The Italians, the Jews and lets throw in the Irish were horribly descriminated against. They were not allowed inside some businesses, and were looked at as less then human. I know that will shock some of you out there that believe there is some 'white club' where we all get along But no! They were roundly hated, feared and descriminated against. They were thought to harbor diseases and to be uneducated. Of course, that was true. Living two or three or even four families to a two bedroom walk up tenement with no plumbing tends to breed disease. And, as a general rule, they weren't educated at all. Certainly not the Irish, but that is a different thread.
But....they learned English, worked at ****ty jobs and encouraged their children to get an education and make better lives for themselves outside of the ghetto.
Now there are Hispanic immigrants who certainly have it much better then immigrants of old. I mean, their language is all over the place, they never have to fear about how to pay a doctor or a lawyer for that matter. There are public services such as food stamps and section 8. Plus, the quality of public education has certainly improved not only for their children, but for them as well. I mean, not many children are being forced to quit school in the 8th grade to work in a packing house to help support the family, are they? My grandfather had to.....and it was a shame, as he was absolutely brilliant with numbers.
So yeah....I would have to say that todays immigrant have nothing to complain about.
Oh please, have you ever worked with an immigrant from Mexico or Central/South America? They are very hard workers who are extremely happy to be here. Chances are they are harder workers and complain less than most of the domestic workers here. You want to turn this into racial and how hispanics are so bad? How about the black people who spend their welfare money on rims, or the white union workers who complain because their unskilled jobs making 35 dollars an hour are going away. Don't act like it isn't everybody here who isn't complaining. USA is land of the free, we're allowed to speak any language we want!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
That's a whole different discussion, and I would appreciate it if it didn't get hijacked and turned into a discussion on that. There's several threads about that.

I'm trying to make this post about the views and criticisms of Hispanic immigrants themselves(not just illegals), and how similar they are to the past.
As far as I am concerned the financial issue is THE biggest issue.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Oh please, have you ever worked with an immigrant from Mexico or Central/South America? They are very hard workers who are extremely happy to be here. Chances are they are harder workers and complain less than most of the domestic workers here. You want to turn this into racial and how hispanics are so bad? How about the black people who spend their welfare money on rims, or the white union workers who complain because their unskilled jobs making 35 dollars an hour are going away. Don't act like it isn't everybody here who isn't complaining. USA is land of the free, we're allowed to speak any language we want!
The USA is for people who are here legally-----------illegal aliens are criminals and most of us want them gone. Needless to say: said illegals need their assets seized prior to deportation.

Besides: there is no Hispanic race.

Your pathetic excuses for illegal aliens are getting old. Besides; I certainly do not make anywhere near $35 an hour and I am in a skilled trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration