Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times

Advertisements

Exactly why racial profiling is dangerous. If it is profiling of Latinos today, Blacks yesterday, who will it be tomorrow? I can only imagine outrage of white citizens if it were a situation where they were randomly pulling them over thinking they were from Eastern Europe. Of course none of this would be necessary with secured borders.

[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
Quote:
10:47 AM PST on Monday, March 2, 2009

By DAVID OLSON
The Press-Enterprise

In an effort to show U.S. Border Patrol agents how to spike up arrest numbers, the head of the agency's Riverside office recently went to a gas station and interrogated the first Latino man he saw, an official with the Border Patrol agents' union said.

After the man proved he was a legal resident, the agency head walked up to another Latino man, who was pumping gas, the union official said. That man was arrested on immigration charges.

As the Border Patrol steps up its enforcement in the Inland area, Latino and immigrant organizations are increasingly worried that agents are randomly pulling over Latino drivers on area roads and interrogating Latinos on city sidewalks.

Agents say they are being pressured by supervisors to increase apprehensions.

U.S.-born Luis Espinoza said he was driving down Main Street in Lake Elsinore several months ago when he was pulled over by a Border Patrol agent.

Emilio Amaya, executive director of an immigration-assistance group, said when Border Patrol agents go to the San Bernardino Greyhound station, they only query Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM

608 posts, read 923,881 times
Although I don't generally agree with racial profiling, how else can large numbers of illegals be found and arrested? Even though this tactic will likely anger many American citizens of Hispanic decent, I like the tactic for its effectiveness.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Exactly why racial profiling is dangerous. If it is profiling of Latinos today, Blacks yesterday, who will it be tomorrow? I can only imagine outrage of white citizens if it were a situation where they were randomly pulling them over thinking they were from Eastern Europe. Of course none of this would be necessary with secured borders.

[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
What is the problem?

If done correctly: profiling is a very effective tool.

Besides: not all Hispanics are brown skinned Indians with Spanish surnames.

Had to chuckle at your Eastern Europe comment: a friend of mine (Hungarian heritage) gets mistaken for Indian (both East and American), Filipina, Latina, etc. due to her Mestizo facial features--------------never mind she is counted as 100% Anglo White here in Arizona.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
profiling is an effective law enforcement tool.
civil rights violations are being confused with law enforcement procedures.
enforcement of the law is not violation of civil rights but race card is frequently used to attempt to obstruct justice.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
profiling is an effective law enforcement tool.
civil rights violations are being confused with law enforcement procedures.
enforcement of the law is not violation of civil rights but race card is frequently used to attempt to obstruct justice.
And that 'race card' is backfiring more and more.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
The funny part of it is that most BP in San Diego are Latino. Ha

and

Ha

stick that in the ol racial pipe and smoke it

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The funny part of it is that most BP in San Diego are Latino. Ha

and

Ha

stick that in the ol racial pipe and smoke it
That is an interesting point. I wonder how Hispanic Americans who are Border Patrol agents feel about the increased crackdowns on illegals. Many of these illegals might very well be their family, friends, or relatives. How do they deal with their duty as citizens and border patrol agents to protect the United States and the fact that someone they know might be deported.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post

[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
You failed to make your point....why does this post show that "racial profiling is dangerous"?....Dangerous in what way? They 'profiled' two people, ONE of whom was a 'hit'...that's a 50% 'score'...

Look, I don't like this ONE BIT. My wife is a perfect "stereotype" to be profiled...so are two of my kids, and at least one of my grandkids, my son-in-law, and numerous family members...that is, they "look" like they might be illegal immigrants.

When there are MILLIONS of people in the Southwest who 'look' illegal....and a large percentage of them are.....in fact, in the case of Mexico, our VERY close neighbor, about TEN PERCENT of that country is now HERE..
So how do you propose we "look" for illegals? Pull over elderly Asians, or elderly white 'snowbirds', or blacks? Maybe THOSE demographics DO contain a few illegals....but not many. When you're "looking for illegals", you look at the where they're likely to be found.

Once again, I don't like it one bit....but I don't like mandatory sobriety checkpoints, either (I'm not a drunk driver). I don't like the indignities of boarding an airliner, either (I'm not a suicidal terrorist)...and I don't like having to show ID to use a credit card, either (I don't commit fraud)...yet I must endure these things.

Unfortunately, there are an AWFUL lot of illegals in the Southwest, and they're HEAVILY represented among a certain demographic....a demographic shared by many of my loved ones...But if you're looking for illegals, where do you look? It's the price we have to pay for not 'taking care of this' 20 years ago. It makes me mad, but I don't see what else we can do...oh, that's right, I forgot...AMNESTY !....now WHY didn't somebody think of that YEARS ago?... THAT will solve the problem !!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
That is an interesting point. I wonder how Hispanic Americans who are Border Patrol agents feel about the increased crackdowns on illegals.
Probably very much like white police officers feel about busting "meth heads" in their trailers....or black police officers feel when they have to "bust" gang bangers. You don't think Hispanic Americans are capable of seeing the difference between 'legal' citizens and illegals? I can assure you that MANY see this distinction very clearly.....you just don't see too many of them on this forum.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
That is an interesting point. I wonder how Hispanic Americans who are Border Patrol agents feel about the increased crackdowns on illegals. Many of these illegals might very well be their family, friends, or relatives.
The BP that I know who are Hispanic can't STAND Illegal Mexicans and are at least 2nd gen offspring of foreigners. These are the guys you see at Charger games waving American flags, not parading downtown with Mexican flags demanding the US bend over while they shove it to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration