Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well thats why a nice provision could be made to exclude parents from being sponsored.

i think there is some middle ground.

we lose more than we gain. but im talkign about the exemplary students. just being a student doesnt grant them anything. we should harvest the greatest minds.
As near as I can determine, her only distinction is that she wrestles, how does that make her a 'great mind'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why should I, the tax payer, be burdened, no hit with a penalty because of some Illegals? Blame their parents not us.
Agreed. With the exception of a very few posters on the DREAMAct forum, despite their proclamations, just reading their posts gives you a sense of their level of intelligence. The majority are average students at best. Their self incrimination and delusional sense of entitlement only serves to convince me that they are no different from the illegal alien parents who have brought them here and taught them the tricks of the trade to skirt every law that they can in order to remain here illegally. These are not innocent children, their behavior and actions are learned from their parents who are masters of the game. Granting amnesty to those who are nothing more than second generation criminals is not the answer.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 05-18-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well this always begs the question regarding the sins of the father.

should children suffer the consequences of their parents actions?

especially these children who are smart enough and dedicated enought to become productive citizens of the US? as i have said elsewhere, if these children do get a path, it should stop with them. no chance of sponsorship for the people who created this headache.
In this case: yes.

Besides: it is not that said kids would be in real danger in Mexico if deported.

That stated; if the nation in question were N Korea or even Cuba, the kids (and parents) could probably request political asylum.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. With the exception of a very few posters on the DREAMAct forum, despite their proclamations, just reading their posts gives you a sense of their level of intelligence. The majority are average students at best. Their self incrimination and delusional sense of entitlement only serves to convince me that they are no different from the illegal alien parents who have brought them here and taught them the tricks of the trade to skirt every law that they can in order to remain here illegally. These are not innocent children, their behavior and actions are learned from their parents who are masters of the game. Granting amnesty to those who are nothing more than second generation criminals is not the answer.
Damning but spot on analysis there----------especially your comment that I bolded. God knows we have our share of 'local talent' AKA criminals born from Americans.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM

50,313 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In this case: yes.

Besides: it is not that said kids would be in real danger in Mexico if deported.

That stated; if the nation in question were N Korea or even Cuba, the kids (and parents) could probably request political asylum.
With an obesity rate trumping ours I will agree with you. There is plenty of food in Mexico. How their govt deals with it is another thing.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Wait a minute -- she is angry because if she wants to go to college she will have to pay for it herself?

Cry me a river. I paid for my college by working two jobs (one fulltime a second parttime) in the summer and working at least 38 hours a week during the school year. I lived with my parents, drove a ten year old Gremlin, and didn't party.
My dh lived with his mother, quit school for a year in order to pay off his debt then returned to college while working plus having joined the Air National Guard.

Almost everyone I knew did it that way. Yet this girl has the gall to b*tch that she doens't have access to Pell Grants and other forms of scholarship and loans only available to citizens?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
second generation criminals? ya, just like all those children of incarcerated peoples...

when it come to the children i have compassion and empathy.

even above that i think it benefits us, economically, as well as socially to allow these outstanding kids (be it in the classroon or sports field) a chance to be productive citizens of our country.

some of these kids are great minds, others are great athletes. none are here by choice of their own, and amidst possible turmoil or upheaval, they have triumphed. it takes great character to be a good student and/or a good athlete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Boo hoo hoo hoo, boo hoo hoo hoo.

Well -- it's a little known fact but Mexico has universities and many universities are tuition free for the citizens of Mexico.

Let these Mexican citizens attend free college back in their own country and give the scholarship to an American who would otherwise have no chance to attend college. And guess what -- Mexico doesn't provide American citizens legal or illegal free college. This is a win-win situation.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
As near as I can determine, her only distinction is that she wrestles, how does that make her a 'great mind'?
She can get free college at a Mexican university and she doesn't even have to wrestle for it. Mexico has tuition free universities. There's no problem with the universities in Mexico either, contrary to what the illegals claim, Mexico not only has universities, it has some very good ones.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She can get free college at a Mexican university and she doesn't even have to wrestle for it. Mexico has tuition free universities. There's no problem with the universities in Mexico either, contrary to what the illegals claim, Mexico not only has universities, it has some very good ones.
This is very true --- a friend of mine went to the University at Monterey in order to get his degree in linguistics. It was a top notch university and he made a lot of friends there. Of course, he had to pay tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration