U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Every pro-illegal strategy fails. They use the “race card,” and it is repeatedly trumped. They use the “separation of families” tactic, to no avail. They frequently try the “jobs Americans won’t do” nonsense.

Now, their new campaign focuses on trying to convince us that legalizing illegal aliens will strengthen our economy. Only the truly misinformed will believe that low-wage earners will make an appreciable difference in our tax base. Next they’ll tell us that the legalization of illegal aliens will prevent a terrorist attack.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Tough economic times may be a boon for supporters of a broad overhaul of the nation's immigration policies, according to pollsters who are testing the waters ahead of an upcoming White House summit on immigration.

"If anything, the economic climate has actually improved the environment for immigration reform, at least as far as the public is concerned," said Celinda Lake, who heads Lake Research Partners.

"A salient issue is that reform would make immigrants all taxpayers," Lake said during a telephone briefing.
Article - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090602-713696.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Reputation: 137
Awesome news, I cant wait to see what comes up from the National Campaign for Immigration Reform. Thing are looking better and better for illegals trying to get a "Path to Citizenship"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Mexifornia, formerly California
31 posts, read 51,169 times
Reputation: 25
I wonder why Illegals can't just follow and respect laws in the first place. Seems much easier than expecting Amnesty or reform? Oh well, I was always taught to respect other nations/countries and their laws. I always though the path to citizenship meant, save, apply wait in line and them become a citizen. I never new it was illegally immigrate and then demand reform and citizenship after the fact and claim racism if you don't get it. gnarly ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
I wonder why Illegals can't just follow and respect laws in the first place. Seems much easier than expecting Amnesty or reform? Oh well, I was always taught to respect other nations/countries and their laws. I always though the path to citizenship meant, save, apply wait in line and them become a citizen. I never new it was illegally immigrate and then demand reform and citizenship after the fact and claim racism if you don't get it. gnarly ; )
What country did you immigrate to the U.S. from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Mexifornia, formerly California
31 posts, read 51,169 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
What country did you immigrate to the U.S. from?
Portugal, why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Awesome news, I cant wait to see what comes up from the National Campaign for Immigration Reform. Thing are looking better and better for illegals trying to get a "Path to Citizenship"
It will be looking better and better for illegal aliens to see the inside of a jail cell prior to their deportation and seizure of their assets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Northern California
25 posts, read 27,188 times
Reputation: 12
Bob, welcome! (I'm a California native living here in Mexifornia, too.)

Your sentiments remind me of the time growing up when we lived in Germany in the early 1960s where my father was on sabbatical leave from the University. Dad told us three children, "You are guests in this country, and you are to do nothing to embarrass the United States." My parents put us in German schools, we ate and lived as our German neighbors, learned the language, and were respectful of the country. We lived there for 14 months as (legal) guests.

Thank you, Bob, for bringing the best of immigration into the U.S. by your shining example!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
Portugal, why.
And legally i will bet huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
Portugal, why.
How easy is for a Portuguese citizen to emigrate to the U.S. and under what criteria do people from your country usually legally migrate?

The reason I ask this, is because a lot of the people who are here as illegals are not eligible to immigrate. Mainly due to the lack of a family member who is a U.S. citizen, or due to lack of economical resources. So for them to follow the U.S. immigration law would be the equivalent to not immigrate at all.

So you see the dilemma here, either immigrate illegally and break the other country's laws, or respect the other country's laws and not migrate. When people don't see a future for themselves or for their children there, the former option becomes much more real.

What you propose on your post of saving, applying, and waiting was not an option for many of those people. Simply because they were not eligible to apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
How easy is for a Portuguese citizen to emigrate to the U.S. and under what criteria do people from your country usually legally migrate?

The reason I ask this, is because a lot of the people who are here as illegals are not eligible to immigrate. Mainly due to the lack of a family member who is a U.S. citizen, or due to lack of economical resources. So for them to follow the U.S. immigration law would be the equivalent to not immigrate at all.

So you see the dilemma here, either immigrate illegally and break the other country's laws, or respect the other country's laws and not migrate. When people don't see a future for themselves or for their children there, the former option becomes much more real.

What you propose on your post of saving, applying, and waiting was not an option for many of those people. Simply because they were not eligible to apply.
So if you can't earn it, steal it, is that your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top