Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times

Advertisements

Some relatives were together last evening talking loudly about the issues of the day and the topic of immigration came up. One man in our family is a total open borders advocate and basically thinks illegal and legal immigrants are the same thing. According to him, both are just the type of people we need in America. Both are hard working, hungry for opportunity and willing to do just about any job. He says the only difference between a legal or illegal immigrant is one comes from a family that can afford an Attorney to complete all the paperwork.

He went on to say that allowing more immigrants into America documented or undocumented will eventually make our country stronger which will solve our budget deficit and unemployment problems, because their hard work will help our country.

He went on to say we need more immigrants that will do the dirty work our country needs done and less elites. So he does not support proposals that only trained and educated immigrants be allowed in America.

Is he genius or idiot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Some relatives were together last evening talking loudly about the issues of the day and the topic of immigration came up. One man in our family is a total open borders advocate and basically thinks illegal and legal immigrants are the same thing. According to him, both are just the type of people we need in America. Both are hard working, hungry for opportunity and willing to do just about any job. He says the only difference between a legal or illegal immigrant is one comes from a family that can afford an Attorney to complete all the paperwork.

He went on to say that allowing more immigrants into America documented or undocumented will eventually make our country stronger which will solve our budget deficit and unemployment problems, because their hard work will help our country.

He went on to say we need more immigrants that will do the dirty work our country needs done and less elites. So he does not support proposals that only trained and educated immigrants be allowed in America.

Is he genius or idiot?
I thing he's pretty close to the money, but I disagree in two points.

The difference between a legal and an illegal is not just the lawyer, but there are also eligibility issues. A large part of the illegals are simply not eligible to immigrate legaly. And this was before they came over illegally.

The second thing, I think it should be made easier to trained and educated immigrants to come to the U.S. Maybe as he says not only them, but some bias so a healthy amount of professionals come in.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Your relative is sorely mistaken. We need innovative and creative minds to grow our economy; not millions of uneducated foreigners “hungry for opportunity.” As is it, we have a glut of uneducated and low-skilled citizens, all competing for the same low-wage jobs; and they are also “hungry.” Why on earth would we want to import more? They would only increase our welfare rolls, and further send this country into an economic abyss. Heck, we already have millions of illegals remaining in this country unemployed, living off of the taxpayers, courtesy of their U.S.-born meal tickets.

We aren’t living in the 18th or 19th century in the midst of the Industrial Revolution. We (not illegals) have already built this country; so there is no longer a need for millions of workers who are only capable of working with their hands, and not with their minds. Those days have ended.

If your relative lacks the ability to discern between legal and illegal, he has a serious problem. Hopefully, this deficiency will not land him behind bars.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

Is he genius or idiot?

I'm sure you set him straight, right?

He is clueless to the actual cause and effect. I tell you it is really hard for a high school kid, to find a summer job right now, here in Austin. All the fast food joints, have one English speaking employee. Forget mowing grass, that is locked down.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Has your relative been to the ER, schools or any other office that dispenses social services? He needs to know that they don't all come here just to find jobs. I suppose all the identify theft going on is just because they can't figure out how to get a tax id? The theft of Social Services just because their employers don't pay well enough?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm sure you set him straight, right?

He is clueless to the actual cause and effect. I tell you it is really hard for a high school kid, to find a summer job right now, here in Austin. All the fast food joints, have one English speaking employee. Forget mowing grass, that is locked down.
Tell them to come to Pflugerville, a lot of high school kids doing yardwork. I had one do all mine except trimming trees. Also if they are interested in doing sales (i.e. Avon ) related stuff send me a PM, I know a couple of people who are looking for sales people.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Tell them to come to Pflugerville, a lot of high school kids doing yardwork. I had one do all mine except trimming trees. Also if they are interested in doing sales (i.e. Avon ) related stuff send me a PM, I know a couple of people who are looking for sales people.
My son (high school) was lucky enough to get a job at Hollywood Video.
He tells me that older people come in on a daily basis asking about job opportunities.

Take a good look at your wallymart or supermarket and see who's working there. That used to be where HS kids got their first jobs working over the summers. Fast food is also overflowing with older adults where it used to be and adult manager and HS kids taking the orders.

I'm near Austin and this is what I see happening.

My son has only 1 friend that has been able to find a job this summer. His other friends have applications in all over town and nothing has come of them.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son (high school) was lucky enough to get a job at Hollywood Video.
He tells me that older people come in on a daily basis asking about job opportunities.

Take a good look at your wallymart or supermarket and see who's working there. That used to be where HS kids got their first jobs working over the summers. Fast food is also overflowing with older adults where it used to be and adult manager and HS kids taking the orders.

I'm near Austin and this is what I see happening.

My son has only 1 friend that has been able to find a job this summer. His other friends have applications in all over town and nothing has come of them.
I have not lived in the Austin area for the last year, but I did go over there this past May for mothers day to visit my family. And I don't know about just the summer, but a lot of the people working at H.E.B. and Walmart seem to be either really young or really old.

Like the cashiers and the people who work on the parking lot collecting the carts seem to be really young and the greeters and the people who check for your membership card (Sams Club) and check your receipt on the way out seem to be really old. ( I guess investments caving in )

Good to hear that your kid was able to find some work. He should tell his friends to look up stuff on areas that are a little further, around Hutto, Leander, Pflugerville, Round Rock, that area at least from what I saw in my last few visits has been opening quite a few new small businesses.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times
Quote:

Is he genius or idiot?
He's definitely not a genius so I guess he's your other option, an idiot. Anyone who thinks that illegal and legal immigrants are the same thing can't be too smart, now can they? Are all of your relatives idiots too?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:08 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:
Is he genius or idiot?
I'm going with idiot, and that's my final answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration