Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 AM

471 posts, read 587,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Great. Would be even better if it could be expanded to North Texas.

Yes we do. Gainesville is getting VERY bad. The makeup of the public school is totally changed over the last 5-10 years. My sister just enrolled her kids in a school to the west of gville just to avoid the situation. TAKS scores have fell dramatically as have the over all grades. Wonder why? Hmm?

Only other way to go is private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How does that prove you "in touch" with the pulse of Austin??
You did not elaborates, it was a legitimate request. But then How do you prove that you are "in touch" with the pulse of Austin?

Quote:
You so far off from living a sheltered life, or you have a hand in the game, just as you stated you do, above.
Sheltered? Why sheltered? I worked for 6 years 9PM to 6AM plus overtime since we were "requested" to do it, while going to school from 8-10AM to 2-4PM, for the first two years I had several weeks on a row where I was working around 70-80 hours a week.

When I first came to Austin, the only thing I had was a HS diploma, a pick up truck that was as old as me. When I started working at Dell, I came in through one of the lowest levels in my area and was making around 12/hr. The fact that I was able to work my way up does not mean that I had a Sheltered life.

What about you? You have lived in the Austin for 40 years? Right next to one of the biggest public universities in the U.S. and you come here and tell me that I lived a sheltered live because I don't have to compete for jobs with illegal aliens from Mexico that do not even hold a High School diploma? You had a 35 year head start on me, the fact that you did not took advantage of the opportunities that Austin offered you, it's no reason to call other people sheltered.

I do have a hand in the game as so do you. I care about my friends, my family is taken care off, and if they weren't, again, I'm getting my citizenship in less than a year, so I would be able to legally migrate them anyways. My stores are still nowhere near the size that is required in order to start sponsoring people, but once they do I will try to help those people as much as I can.

But what about you, you tell me I have a hand in the game, you don't. What drives you to not want to help these people? Are you as much of zealot for the law, when a kid uses fake ID's to get into a club. Or do you call the cops when your friend who is driving the car you are riding on drives over the speed limit, or doesn't fully stop at a stop sign?
You lost your job to an alien, a job that you though it was worthed more than it really was, I would say that you also have two hands on the issue.

Quote:
The problem is, your supporting the unacceptable behavior. Heck you sound as if you have both hands in the game, as it involves you family.
I actually don't, I have had several friends who wanted to come over from many different countries. And I tell them that overstaying your visa is the biggest mistake that you can do. And provide with them with as much help for them to migrate legally. But I do acknowledge the fact that a lot of people does not have someone who would help them from over here. There is a problem, and it's not just ridiculous immigration laws, if you don't want people to come here and overstay their visas or cross the border to have to start adressing the root cause of why they are comming here.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
You did not elaborates, it was a legitimate request. But then How do you prove that you are "in touch" with the pulse of Austin?

Sheltered? Why sheltered? I worked for 6 years 9PM to 6AM plus overtime since we were "requested" to do it, while going to school from 8-10AM to 2-4PM, for the first two years I had several weeks on a row where I was working around 70-80 hours a week.

When I first came to Austin, the only thing I had was a HS diploma, a pick up truck that was as old as me. When I started working at Dell, I came in through one of the lowest levels in my area and was making around 12/hr. The fact that I was able to work my way up does not mean that I had a Sheltered life.

What about you? You have lived in the Austin for 40 years? Right next to one of the biggest public universities in the U.S. and you come here and tell me that I lived a sheltered live because I don't have to compete for jobs with illegal aliens from Mexico that do not even hold a High School diploma? You had a 35 year head start on me, the fact that you did not took advantage of the opportunities that Austin offered you, it's no reason to call other people sheltered.

I do have a hand in the game as so do you. I care about my friends, my family is taken care off, and if they weren't, again, I'm getting my citizenship in less than a year, so I would be able to legally migrate them anyways. My stores are still nowhere near the size that is required in order to start sponsoring people, but once they do I will try to help those people as much as I can.

But what about you, you tell me I have a hand in the game, you don't. What drives you to not want to help these people? Are you as much of zealot for the law, when a kid uses fake ID's to get into a club. Or do you call the cops when your friend who is driving the car you are riding on drives over the speed limit, or doesn't fully stop at a stop sign?You lost your job to an alien, a job that you though it was worthed more than it really was, I would say that you also have two hands on the issue.

I actually don't, I have had several friends who wanted to come over from many different countries. And I tell them that overstaying your visa is the biggest mistake that you can do. And provide with them with as much help for them to migrate legally. But I do acknowledge the fact that a lot of people does not have someone who would help them from over here. There is a problem, and it's not just ridiculous immigration laws, if you don't want people to come here and overstay their visas or cross the border to have to start adressing the root cause of why they are comming here.
Please stop making these ridiculous comparisons between driving over the speed limit, or failing to come a complete stop at a stop sign, and foreigners illegally entering this country; and all of the subsequent laws they violate. There is also no comparison between a kid flashing a fake ID to enter a club, and illegals ruining lives of “real†people by stealing their identities. This is utter nonsense.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please stop making these ridiculous comparisons between driving over the speed limit, or failing to come a complete stop at a stop sign, and foreigners illegally entering this country; and all of the subsequent laws they violate. There is also no comparison between a kid flashing a fake ID to enter a club, and illegals ruining lives of “real†people by stealing their identities. This is utter nonsense.
So if you drive over the speed limit or ran a stop light/stop sign and get into a car accident you absolutely do not have any affect in other people's lives. Do you think more people die at the hands of illegal aliens or in traffic accidents?

If a kid who uses a fake ID gets caught drunk, do you think he just ruins his live? What about the lives of his parents? What about the rest o his family? What when they get caught drunk and driving?

And you were the one to say that breaking a law is breaking a law. And compare illegal aliens with the most dangerous criminals. ID theft for gaining club entrance is as different from ID theft for work, as ID theft for work is different from ID theft for financial fraud.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Austin does not need a mass exodus of anything. Austin is just fine. Especially judging from the fact that is rated one of the Best Places to Live, and is one of the cities that is faring the best in this economic downturn.

how would you know? you're in michigan according to your bio. Contrary to what you out-of-staters believe, austin is not some sort of paradise.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
how would you know? you're in michigan according to your bio. Contrary to what you out-of-staters believe, austin is not some sort of paradise.
Read the thread, I have been in Ann Arbor for less than 1 year. I lived in Austin for 6 years, my family is still there, I still own a house and businesses there, and my permanent address is still there. My brother went to UTSA for a year on the CAP program, San Antonio is a great city as well.

The only reason I am in Ann Arbor is because UM gave me a fellowship to come to grad school here.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
6 years? No wonder your so clueless, But that doesn't explain why you wish so much harm to the USA?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,330 times
Quote:
Austin does not need a mass exodus of anything. Austin is just fine. Especially judging from the fact that is rated one of the Best Places to Live, and is one of the cities that is faring the best in this economic downturn.
That is your opinion, and I strongly disagree. Austin is overrun with illegals, and they need to go.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,330 times
Quote:
Because I think legalizing "poor little Juan" and stepping up the enforcement of a Immigration policy that makes sense, will not only benefit poor little Juan, but also poor little John.
Reagan tried this in 1987, with a mass amnesty. It was supposed to solve everything. And here we are again, over 20 years later, with over 20 milllion more illegals to deal with.

So obviously amnesty is not the solution. It only encourages more illegal immigration.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Reagan tried this in 1987, with a mass amnesty. It was supposed to solve everything. And here we are again, over 20 years later, with over 20 milllion more illegals to deal with.

So obviously amnesty is not the solution. It only encourages more illegal immigration.
I think he missed a part of what I said, the "stepping up the enforcement of an Immigration policy that makes sense." I agree with you that Amnesty by itself it's not the right way to go, and increase of border/overstay enforcement must be in place, but also there needs to be a change in immigration policy, because what the U.S. has right now it's obviously not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration