Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Also there are many Mexicans that don't want to be in Mexico for security reasons. Drug trafficers have alot of political clout in Mexico. and often kill with impunity. Their very existance is due to the large market for illegal drugs in the United States. We really need to be doing a better job at reducing the demand, and what we've been doing for years obviously hasn't worked.

There is unrest in Many countries around the World, Mexico should take control of this situation.. It is NOT the responsibility of the U.S. and it's citizens..

Having The American Working Poor displaced in Employment by Illegal aliens really doesn't do much to reduce the demand for Illegal drugs in the U.S...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
I Agree with #2 and #3..

I absolutely disagree with #1.. Millions of Immigrants come to the U.S. LEGALLY each year and become citizens.. To "dumb down" the process as you suggest would be a slap in the face towards those Immigrants that worked hard, studied, learned the language and became U.S. citizens..

U.S. citizenship is something that has been prized and valued the World Over.. To simplify the process and make it similar to opening up a "Cracker Jack Box" and claiming your prize really makes a mockery of this Wonderful country and it's citizenship process..

That said, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Immigrants should WANT to come to the U.S. and should have a desire to become U.S. citizens.. They should learn English and contribute to the larger society.. Unfortunately with many Illegal Aliens, is that they seem to be looking out for only their own interests and NOT the betterment of this country.. Many do NOT have any desire to learn English and many reproduce on large scale to collect taxpayer subsidized benefits.. Many commit crimes such as Identity Theft and Social Security Fraud..

Having skilled Immigrants that are willing to work hard, and go through the LEGAL channels to become citizens are the types of folks that deserve to be in the U.S. and deserve to be citizens.. Providing a shortcut to those that don't is definitely NOT a solution..
I was saying that it should be easier for people to become legal residents, not citizens.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
There is unrest in Many countries around the World, Mexico should take control of this situation.. It is NOT the responsibility of the U.S. and it's citizens..

Having The American Working Poor displaced in Employment by Illegal aliens really doesn't do much to reduce the demand for Illegal drugs in the U.S...
It is the responsibility of the US. and it's citizens as well as Mexico's responsibility. If we didn't have such a high demand for illegal drugs, the drug problems in Mexico wouldn't be anywhere near as severe as they are today.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Where did I say that I did NOT Agree with Fair Trade? I stated that it was a "Pipe Dream" because of the REALITY.. again, REALITY that the U.S. Federal Government and Big Business are in bed with one another along with Globalist interests that believe in this "Global" Economy where there are Open Borders and NO restrictions on trade.. A World where millions of people compete to make $2.00 an hour to work to create an item that in turn is sold for $200.00.. Globalization is a Reality.. In a perfect world, there would be a possibility for "Fair Trade".. However, that isn't going to happen with the Big Business Interests, Latte Liberal Lobbyists, Thomas Fridemen disciples, etc.. at the helm..
There are also plenty of organizations with alot of political clout that support fair trade; they need to get it in gear and take on these big business interests. Globalization is a reality, we won't get rid of it, and we shouldn't try to get rid of it; corporate globalization is another story.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 AM

291 posts, read 414,062 times
Quote:

well said !

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
As for cutting social services to illegals, here is my problem with that. Let's say that my wife, who is a legal resident, forgot her green card before leaving the house and got hit by a truck. They can't tell if she is legal or illegal; should they just let her die?
I'm not for cutting off emergency care. It is unethical to let anyone die. However, rouine check ups, child birth, and other normal care that every other citizen has to pay hundreds of dollars a month in insurance to get is not an emergency, and illegals getting those services for free and then making me as a taxpayer cover the bill is complete BS. However, I will have a major problem if something happens to me or my family while waiting hours in an emergency room filled with illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields
for another less dramatic example, I've got a friend who is illegal but her son is an American citizen. She is on welfare. If her welfare benefits are taken away from her, her son, who is an American citizen, is going to suffer.
Sorry to sound cold, but too bad. She has no right to be here, and has no right to taxpayer funded social services. I'm guessing the only reason her son is a citizen is because of the 14th amendment loophole. Both need to be eliminated as stated in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields
How about illegal immigrant children. If you deny them the right to go to school, they won't learn anything and are alot more likely to get involved with gangs, drugs, ect...
It is not the US's responsibility to educate the world for free. My child's education is suffering because of the finacial strain put on schools. The mentality of "it's the US's responsibilty to take care of the world's poor" even though it's destroying our country and bankrupting us is one that I just don't understand. The line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise the US will be a third world nation in no time, we will have the very rich, and the very poor. This situation will eliminate the middle class.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
It is the responsibility of the US. and it's citizens as well as Mexico's responsibility. If we didn't have such a high demand for illegal drugs, the drug problems in Mexico wouldn't be anywhere near as severe as they are today.
A lot of the drug flow across our southern border has been shut off---------leading to Mexican nationals becoming consumers of Meth, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:

It is Mexico's responsibility to stop their drug cartels, it's the U.S.'s Government's responsibility to secure the border..

Blaming the drug cartel problem on U.S. demand is like blaming a rape victim for being raped..

Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
There are also plenty of organizations with alot of political clout that support fair trade; they need to get it in gear and take on these big business interests. Globalization is a reality, we won't get rid of it, and we shouldn't try to get rid of it; corporate globalization is another story.
Which organizations are these? Most of them are liberal think tanks, who don't have the money or influence Corporate and other lobbyists have.. For every organization that supports Fair Trade, there are 10 that support Free Trade and many of them are led by Limosuine Liberals as well as Corporate Executives..

Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
It is Mexico's responsibility to stop their drug cartels, it's the U.S.'s Government's responsibility to secure the border..

Blaming the drug cartel problem on U.S. demand is like blaming a rape victim for being raped..
No it's not, it's like blaming illegal alien's employers for illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration