Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:09 PM

62 posts, read 80,405 times

Advertisements

I live in a sanctuary city. I'd like to see affluent, liberal San Franciscans send their kids to the city's public schools, especially schools in the Mission District. I bet you'll see a reversal of their opinions regarding sanctuary city status. During the past couple of years I've had my car totaled in a hit and run by an illegal immigrant, and had my SS number stolen. The latter brought me a lot of headaches, they were finally able to trace it to an illegal alien in Oakland, who was using it AND apparently was in the process of applying for credit cards under my name. These things on top of seeing ridiculous abuse by illegal immigrants when I'm at work, have made me question my once liberal views on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
I live in a sanctuary city. I'd like to see affluent, liberal San Franciscans send their kids to the city's public schools, especially schools in the Mission District. I bet you'll see a reversal of their opinions regarding sanctuary city status. During the past couple of years I've had my car totaled in a hit and run by an illegal immigrant, and had my SS number stolen. The latter brought me a lot of headaches, they were finally able to trace it to an illegal alien in Oakland, who was using it AND apparently was in the process of applying for credit cards under my name. These things on top of seeing ridiculous abuse by illegal immigrants when I'm at work, have made me question my once liberal views on this issue.
Many a liberal has turned 'bitter' once this country's 'goodness' gets taken advantage of. If fact, one of the most liberal guys I ever KNEW (he'd been my boss, but was eventually demoted because he didn't believe in 'telling people what to do'), had his illusions crushed durin the "Prop 187" debacle a few years back. Long a HUGE defender of illegals...a part-time church deacon...and a firm believer that 'no human is illegal'...he was slapped by the spectacle of hundreds of people surging through the streets, (MOST of whom were ditching school), carrying MEXICAN flags as they demanded RIGHTS for people HERE (in the USA) illegally.

That did it...even "Mr Lib" couldn't justify that outrageous spectacle. He got SO upset at the way "his" illegals had acted that for TWO DAYS he refused to eat lunch with our small, close-knit crew...(4 whites, 2 Hispanics, 1 American Indian).

On the THIRD day of his 'sulk', he came back into the 'fold'...but was so obviously crestfallen that nobody had the heart to mention the subject....and to this day, he refuses to discuss it.

Must have been a HUGE disappointment for a basically very NICE...but very naive....50-year old "liberal white guy". He had his 'eyes opened' on that day, and it was a bitter lesson in just how 'nice' a society can be..or SHOULD be...and at what point 'niceness' turns into foolishness.

I, too, was struck by the sheer outrageous spectacle of these demonstrations, and remember remarking to my wife, "who thinks up these stunts? The Ku Klux Klan? This is going to backfire BIG TIME"....and it did.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not exactly health care, but my wife's sister has worked for years in the 'school lunch' program in LA County, and has all KINDS of stories of large family groups showing up at school for both breakfast AND lunch...as many as 5, 6 or 7 people..parents, elderly folks, toddlers....all eating 'free' due to ONE family member in the third or fourth grade who's legally entitled to it. The rest of the family eats 'off the books', and this is tolerated with a 'wink'. In fact, sometimes the ADULTS eat while the true beneficiaries (their student kid) dumps THEIR meal, uneaten, into the nearest trash can and heads for the vending machine for a candy bar.

Are these folks legal? Some undoubtedly are, but a large portion are not. Can anyone see why this MIGHT be costing the taxpayers some money? And few people even know it goes on.

This info is about 2 years old (my SIL quit the job), and I can't say whether this still goes on. But in a state that has to close its DMV every other Friday or so, because it can't afford to keep it OPEN....this HAS to be a drain on the budget.

I would be FOR free meals at schools for families just to actually get them there. We have trouble ever getting any of the parents to school events.

In fact I would serve breakfast, lunch and dinner at school for free. The catch is - virtual elimination of all other welfare, foodstamps, AFDP, WIC.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times
Unhappy how true this is

Quote:
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! One of my oldest and best friends are in the same position. Anytime they speak up they are made to feel like monsters-hey wait a minute they said this is BS. They have worked hard all of their lives and now illegal aliens have invaded their neighborhood and made them feel scared and threatened. Donna has said that they have told her flat out they are going to run her out and all the other gringos. They have lived there 26 years!!!

Hang in there Cherry.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM

62 posts, read 80,405 times
Thanks Ellen. I do speak up but like what you said about your friends, we're somehow accused of being racist and uncaring. I don't care about race, in fact I'm just as harsh on illegal Asian immigrants, and I'm of mainly Japanese descent, although I identify myself as an American first because I've spent most of my life here.

Quote:
I, too, was struck by the sheer outrageous spectacle of these demonstrations, and remember remarking to my wife, "who thinks up these stunts? The Ku Klux Klan? This is going to backfire BIG TIME"....and it did.
Ha ha that's pretty funny!

Last edited by cherry sakura; 07-30-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 PM

73 posts, read 85,475 times
Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam:

Your story/stories are a paragon of internet credibility. I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Yeppers: a liberal is a person who has not been victimized by a criminal------------yet.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! One of my oldest and best friends are in the same position. Anytime they speak up they are made to feel like monsters-hey wait a minute they said this is BS. They have worked hard all of their lives and now illegal aliens have invaded their neighborhood and made them feel scared and threatened. Donna has said that they have told her flat out they are going to run her out and all the other gringos. They have lived there 26 years!!!

Hang in there Cherry.
Suffice to day: my 'White guilt' died on 5-1-2006 with those insolent illegal alien losers demanding their so-called 'rights' to be here legally.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
See, what if you have been victimized...but also work, have lived with, and taught people who likely are illegal immigrants?

My dad was in a car accident by an illegal immigrant. We have uninsured motorist insurance as part of the policy. The accident left my dad in the hospital for about a week. Yet, we realized part of the problem was not only the individual (the guy was obviously a bad driver), but the fact that if he even wanted insurance he could not apply.

Both my parents were in education at various capacities. My mom was a playground attendant. The city I lived in went through a remarkable demographic shift in the late 80s early 90s. Esp. my part of town. Originally, it was 60-70% White non-Hispanic. The closure of March Air Force Base caused home prices to collapse and made it affordable for those in the inner city to move to the suburbs.The city then became 30% White non-Hispanic. During this shift, my mom noticed a small contingent of poor Hispanic families that didn't have food. She allowed the famliy to take extra milk and leftovers that were going to THROWN away. There's a lot of waste in some districts, typically nicer schools. The food for free lunches are either going to be eaten or thrown away, thus giving the excess is NOT increasing any cost.

My sister in law almost got ripped off by a British illegal immigrant. However, we realized that she was just crazy. Very crazy.

Each population has it's good and bad. Frankly, most illegal immigrants that I have seen (that I know were illegal) were hard working nice people. I used to take the bus to work from Isla Vista to Goleta. One of the stops was in Old Town Goleta. This is a part of the Santa Barbara region they don't advertise. I would talk to the people on the bus, get to know them. One or two admitted to having just moved from Mexico...illegaly. Here we were going to work, me at Cold Stone paying my way in college...him at a small biz keeping his family afloat. I allowed roughly $3k in student funds to enable a free school in Isla Vista. The purpose was to teach immigrant families English as well as tutor in math and sciences.

As long as we realize that a few incidents don't characterize an entire group, then I feel that we can make progress as a nation. Of course we can't have free borders, but we can try to create a comprimise between nationalists ("anti-illegal") and liberal border reformists (not "pro illegal" since that's a stupid term, but those who want a more liberal approach to reform).

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Illegals can most certainly get auto liability insurance if they choose to get it.

All those stolen identities could also buy liability insurance but that's the only time a stolen identity doesn't work?

Some illegals do have insured cars because they purchase them in other people's names and the insurance is purchased in those names. I know for a fact that some illegals actually do have liability insurance even though they have no drivers license or they use their Mexican drivers license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration