Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times

Advertisements

Like this family are many who come to the US for better opportunities and have children who are great sucess stories.

The issue of assimilation has been brought up time and time again.

However, if you ask their foreign countries, these children are not assimilated in their countries. These children have a much better chance of assimilating here in the US.

What makes you think that this immigration wave will not assimilate? What signs do you see that they dont or that they do assimilate to US culture?

America is hot dogs and baseball, but it’s also polkas and mariachis - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/273/story/1411682.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Like this family are many who come to the US for better opportunities and have children who are great sucess stories.

However, if you ask their foreign countries, these children are not assimilated in their countries. These children have a much better chance of assimilating here in the US.

What makes you think that this immigration wave will not assimilate? What signs do you see that they dont or that they do assimilate to US culture?

America is hot dogs and baseball, but it’s also polkas and mariachis - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/273/story/1411682.html - broken link)
Quote:
My parents emigrated, legally, from central Mexico to Chicago in the 1950s. The story told is that a distant cousin convinced Dad, who is now deceased, that the streets were paved with gold.
That variety of immigrant I welcome to the USA----------they played it by the rules.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 PM

My bad! I missed that part and since it begun with "Immigration debate" I assumed they were discussing illegal immigration. In any case, I still want to discuss assimilation. Please share.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM

706 posts, read 939,810 times
Quote:
My bad! I missed that part and since it begun with "Immigration debate" I assumed they were discussing illegal immigration. In any case, I still want to discuss assimilation. Please share.
I think that this could prove to be a very productive discussion. However, the divide between legal and illegal immigration will remain, in spite of whatever resolution we reach concerning " assimmilation".

Still, a worthwhile subject.....

BL

Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
I think that this could prove to be a very productive discussion. However, the divide between legal and illegal immigration will remain, in spite of whatever resolution we reach concerning " assimmilation".

Still, a worthwhile subject.....

BL
I agree!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:

Again, are we talking about legal immigrants or illegal aliens? Most legal immigrants do assimilate. The illegal ones who are mostly from south of our border colonize entire neighborhoods where everyone speaks Spanish so they don't feel the need to learn English and even if they do they don't choose to speak it much of the time.

Irregardless of the language issue, they need to be deported not assimilated. They don't belong here!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
I agree!
I do, too, "Z"....and again restate what I've said before...that assimilation today comes at a slower rate than in previous generations....but only PART of that is the fault of immigrants.. The fact is, that in a society seemingly 'enchanted' with the idea of multiculturalism, how is one supposed to assimilate, ANYWAY?...assimilate to WHAT, exactly? When we ourselves insist we have no dominant culture, no official language, no "right" or "wrong" way for an American to 'act'....and when we require NOTHING of immigrants, OR of native-born Americans (beyond jury duty), what, exactly, are we asking newcomers to 'adopt'? How SHOULD they assimilate...assuming they want to?

It's pretty unrealistic to expect immigrants to respect our values, and emulate our way of life, when we ourselves can't agree on what they are, or what it is. How can they "become Americans", if no one can define that term? I suppose the more cynical among the immigrants might be moved to reply, "BECOME Americans? We already ARE!..after all, we've BEEN here since last Tuesday!"...and who could argue with them, in today's situation?

What does this have to do with illegals? Only the fact that in our refusal to "judge" anyone, or to ask that they comply with our culture by assimilating, that it's inevitable that SOME of them won't even choose to comply with our LAWS....(and the fact is not lost on them, I'm sure, that many of US don't comply with our OWN laws, either....those, that is, who keep hiring the illegals).

You can hardly expect new immigrants to get more 'excited' about our societal norms than we ourselves are.....and just now, most of us, I'm afraid, aren't 'excited' about being 'American' at all....and, of course, the immigrants are happy to act accordingly...

Old 09-05-2009, 06:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Immigrants should be assimilitating to mainstream America, its language and it identifying culture, not those corruupt Americans who hire illegals or commit other serious crimes or some sub-culture multi-diversity hogwash or like the Chicano movement in this country who has an axe to grind about stolen land and setting up a new nation within our nation. They don't represent mainstream Americans. I think most real Americans know who we are as a nation and as a people and what our values and laws are and abide by them. Those are the examples that "immigrants" should follow. As for illegal aliens, who cares they don't belong here anyway.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
They come here, because some greedy American, or green card holder, gives them a job. They don't come here to be American.

Those amnestied in 1986, brought the next wave over to work for them. They are paid as subcontract, so it is very hard to track them, as they now have a system to bring the next and the next and the next wave over.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM

291 posts, read 413,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They come here, because some greedy American, or green card holder, gives them a job. They don't come here to be American.

Those amnestied in 1986, brought the next wave over to work for them. They are paid as subcontract, so it is very hard to track them, as they now have a system to bring the next and the next and the next wave over.
the whole problem in a nutshell, i cant agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration