Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you believe we should do with the anchor children already here?
Strip them of citizenship, as it was granted under conflict with the 14th amendment 10 26.32%
Allow them to retain citizenship, as it wasn't their fault their parents came here illegally 15 39.47%
Allow those to retain citizenship if at least one of their parents have become legal, or they have already reached the age of 18 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
African is a nationality not a race. Black is a race. Since racially he is equally Black and White why does he and many others only refer to him as being Black? It is because by only claiming his Black side and playing down his White side the victim and minority game can be played.
Unfortunately, it stems from the "One Drop Rule." Accordingly, in this country, any person who has one drop of black blood is considered black. It’s ridiculous, but a reality. There are very few black Americans who are not a mixture of other races. The slave masters can take much of the credit for that.

Most people consider Obama black due to his appearance. It’s really not his choice; rather the acceptable classification by members of this society. When you see Obama, do you see a white man or a black man? Likewise, when you see Mariah Carey does ‘black’ immediately come to mind? They both have white mothers and black fathers, but only one evokes the image of white.

My grandmother was white, and one of my aunts chose to live in the white world and deny her blackness. That was her decision. However, had she not ‘looked’ white, she would not have been accepted, notwithstanding her white mother.

Quote:
To be considered black in the United States not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black. It is also known as the "one black ancestor rule," some courts have called it the "traceable amount rule," and anthropologists call it the "hypo-descent rule," meaning that racially mixed persons are assigned the status of the subordinate group. This definition emerged from the American South to become the nation's definition, generally accepted by whites and blacks. Blacks had no other choice. As we shall see, this American cultural definition of blacks is taken for granted as readily by judges, affirmative action officers, and black protesters as it is by Ku Klux Klansmen.
frontline: jefferson's blood: mixed race america: who is black? one nation's definition | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unfortunately, it stems from the "One Drop Rule." Accordingly, in this country, any person who has one drop of black blood is considered black. It’s ridiculous, but a reality. There are very few black Americans who are not a mixture of other races. The slave masters can take much of the credit for that.

Most people consider Obama black due to his appearance. It’s really not his choice; rather the acceptable classification by members of this society. When you see Obama, do you see a white man or a black man? Likewise, when you see Mariah Carey does ‘black’ immediately come to mind? They both have white mothers and black fathers, but only one evokes the image of white.

My grandmother was white, and one of my aunts chose to live in the white world and deny her blackness. That was her decision. However, had she not ‘looked’ white, she would not have been accepted, notwithstanding her white mother.

frontline: jefferson's blood: mixed race america: who is black? one nation's definition | PBS
And the 'One Drop Rule' only applied in a few states, Virginia being one of them. Flip side: an octeroon (1/8th Black) was counted as White in even most other Jim Crow states.

I have known several White people with known AA lineage: suffice to say; they would have been called Whitey (or worse) if they walked through a rough Black neighborhood based on their appearance.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the 'One Drop Rule' only applied in a few states, Virginia being one of them. Flip side: an octeroon (1/8th Black) was counted as White in even most other Jim Crow states.

I have known several White people with known AA lineage: suffice to say; they would have been called Whitey (or worse) if they walked through a rough Black neighborhood based on their appearance.

In LA octoroons were black. In fact, I can't think of a place where they weren't. If they have known AA lineage..they ain't white. And if they walked through the hood, chances are folks would know.......

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times
Quote:
African is a nationality not a race. Black is a race. Since racially he is equally Black and White why does he and many others only refer to him as being Black? It is because by only claiming his Black side and playing down his White side the victim and minority game can be played.
Obama considers himself Black because that label has been pushed on him. Being mixed myself, I can tell you when you tell a white person you're half white and half black, they focus on the "black", even though I look much less "black" than President Obama. I never had one instance where a white person accepted my mixed race lineage. It had to be one or the other and since I wasn't super white, then I must be black. Actually, most of the time they just took it upon themselves to see me as hispanic. Funny how such a large portion of the population has such tunnel vision when it comes to race.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Obama considers himself Black because that label has been pushed on him. Being mixed myself, I can tell you when you tell a white person you're half white and half black, they focus on the "black", even though I look much less "black" than President Obama. I never had one instance where a white person accepted my mixed race lineage. It had to be one or the other and since I wasn't super white, then I must be black. Actually, most of the time they just took it upon themselves to see me as hispanic. Funny how such a large portion of the population has such tunnel vision when it comes to race.
I knew a kid whose father was a generic White and the mom a dark skinned Black woman...........he looked like a Mexican from Chiapas (dark skin, straight black hair, etc.).

Old 10-10-2009, 01:44 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Obama also considers himself as black and rarely mentions his white side. Minorities only look at him as being black because they want to identify with him. Being black or any other minority today gains you victim status and it gets played for all it is worth. Many blacks today are still resentful of the racism of the past even if they weren't even alive back then. Hispanics are jumping on the band wagon now because it works for blacks. So why not?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:53 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Most people consider Obama black due to his appearance. It’s really not his choice; rather the acceptable classification by members of this society. When you see Obama, do you see a white man or a black man? Likewise, when you see Mariah Carey does ‘black’ immediately come to mind? They both have white mothers and black fathers, but only one evokes the image of white. When I see Mariah Carey

oops sorry

Old 10-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Obama also considers himself as black and rarely mentions his white side. Minorities only look at him as being black because they want to identify with him. Being black or any other minority today gains you victim status and it gets played for all it is worth. Many blacks today are still resentful of the racism of the past even if they weren't even alive back then. Hispanics are jumping on the band wagon now because it works for blacks. So why not?
I am just waiting for the Irish; another victimized 'minority' to attempt to jump on the 'poor me' bandwagon.................never mind they as a group are genetically the same as the English, Scottish, etc.

Wait a moment: that won't work since many of 'em are Nordic White---------or would it?

Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
I am just waiting for the Irish; another victimized 'minority' to attempt to jump on the 'poor me' bandwagon.................never mind they as a group are genetically the same as the English, Scottish, etc.

Wait a moment: that won't work since many of 'em are Nordic White---------or would it?
Naw, it would never work for anyone who is racially white and identifies themself as white. It only works for those who are racially of minority blood or mixed blood who wants to only identify themself as a minority. It is along the same mindset that only whites can be racists also.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:

Considering that many members of the “minority Hispanic race” are white, perhaps it would. Who knows, maybe the Irish will invent a new race for illegals. It worked for the 'white' Hispanics, so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration