Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times

Advertisements

For people who are supposedly "frightened and living in the shadows" -- they certainly have no problem appearing in public when it involves lawsuits demanding U.S. taxpayers to foot the bills for their medical treatment.

Had this hospital not been inundated with non-paying illegal aliens, it would most likely be able to continue to provide services for the indigent “citizens” of Atlanta.

Quote:
ATLANTA -- Publicly funded Grady Memorial Hospital has served as a lifeline for this city's indigent for more than a century, but a plan to shutter its dialysis clinic has sparked a lawsuit on behalf of dozens of undocumented immigrants who say the decision amounts to a death sentence.

The case in Fulton County Superior Court throws into sharp relief some of the hottest issues in ongoing skirmishes over health care and the government's role in providing medical services: how and whether undocumented aliens should receive free treatment, and how far hospitals must go to provide lifesaving care for them.

Mr. Jones said one elderly patient, a partially paralyzed and undocumented immigrant from Colombia who was wheeled into the courtroom on a bed, recently returned from Florida after being told he wasn't immediately eligible for regular dialysis treatment there. He had been receiving such treatment at Grady.

Grady estimates about two-thirds of the patients who use its dialysis clinic are undocumented immigrants without health insurance. Mexicans make up the largest single group; others are from countries including El Salvador, Nigeria, Egypt, India and Cambodia.
Atlanta Hospital's Plan to Shut Clinic Sparks Suit - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
That really drives the point home, the sucking of the parasites.

It is sad the clinic had to close, but how can any business stay in business, on charity work alone, and no compensation.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times
There is no reason tax payers should have to pay for medical treatments, just to extend the life of those patients. This is upsetting. Our federal law says we should "stabilize" and nothing more. This law suit is outrageous.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,552 times
You are right. Now the actual Americans and eligible legal residents who were receiving dialysis at the unit will be forced to find another clinic to be treated at. But of course no on ever stops to think of the hardship this may impose on them. I suspect the unit at Grady could have remained open if it were serving only the 1/3 of the patients who were supposed to be there. What tipped things over the edge was providing care to people who have no business being in the US in the first place.
Furthermore, anyone who thinks all these illegal dialysis recipients are illegals who have lived in the US for years then developed kidney failure is simply delusional. These people come to the US already needing dialysis because they know they won't be turned away and they can get it for free courtesy of Uncle Sucker, I mean Uncle Sam, and the US taxpayer. In all actuality, the illegals probably do not need to worry because the latino activists, ethnic advocacy groups such as NCLR, and the ACLU will no doubt find some way to keep the unit open and keep the US taxpayer footing the bill. Where's my waaaaah- ambulance?

This is the sort of thing that leaves me speechless.

Quote:
Grady says it can't afford to keep running the money-losing dialysis clinic without cutting off essential services to other patients in need. It says funds currently being spent on treating nearly 100 dialysis patients could finance 75,000 outpatient visits at its neighborhood health centers, which provide preventive care.
Americans and legal residents will be denied preventative care so we can keep the illegals and their advocates happy.

The illegal aliens need to be returned to their home countries for further treatment. Give their governments a month's notice, tell them we are not paying anymore and they have a month to make arrangements before we repatriate their citizen. At the end of the month, send them back to their home by air ambulance if necessary, and let the country they are actually a citizen of begin footing the bills.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 PM

You know Andrea, I'm with you on the fact that we should not have to pay the bill. I'm also with you that these people are wrong about feeling entitled to such services. However, you come up with such conclusions about illegal immigrants. There is no reason to think that these immigrants moved here i.e. jumped the border, swam across the ocean, etc just to get medical services. It doesn't make sense to do any of the two when the person is sick and dependent on dialysis.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You know Andrea, I'm with you on the fact that we should not have to pay the bill. I'm also with you that these people are wrong about feeling entitled to such services. However, you come up with such conclusions about illegal immigrants. There is no reason to think that these immigrants moved here i.e. jumped the border, swam across the ocean, etc just to get medical services. It doesn't make sense to do any of the two when the person is sick and dependent on dialysis.
If I were in Mexico, poor and need dialysis I think'd I'd jump the border to get it. I'd also probably expect the people forced to pay for it would probably not like it.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM

You are your own mind. However, a sick person with dialysis would not survive crossing the border with an illness such as kidney failure. I have an uncle in Mexico who is under dialysis treatment. Not once has he brought up wanting to come here for free services. Even if he wanted to, he is too sick to endure the trip. Very delusional...

Last edited by zacatecana; 09-25-2009 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Wrong word

Old 09-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You are your own mind. However, a sick person with dialysis would not survive crossing the border with an illness such as kidney failure. I have an uncle in Mexico who is under dialysis treatment. Not once has he brought up wanting to come here for free services. Even if he wanted to, he is too sick to endure the trip. Very delusional...
If your life depended on it you wouldn't make the trip? Who's delusional? I'm not talking the wealthy, did you miss the part about being poor? If Mexicans who are poor have it so good why are they risking their lives to come here? Sometimes your dialogue founders me. It already says 2/3s are Illegals. What more evidence do you want? An interview with each one? They weren't all "hard working" then just all of a sudden need dialysis. Why aren't the poor Americans lining up there? They don't have insurance either.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If your life depended on it you wouldn't make the trip? Who's delusional? I'm not talking the wealthy, did you miss the part about being poor? If Mexicans who are poor have it so good why are they risking their lives to come here? Sometimes your dialogue founders me.
You heard right. A sick person that has kidney failure cannot endure crossing the dangerous border. He would be too weak and some of those trips can take up even a week, if not more. BTW, my uncle is very poor.

Your scenario is unrealistic.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
You heard right. A sick person that has kidney failure cannot endure crossing the dangerous border. He would be too weak and some of those trips can take up even a week, if not more. BTW, my uncle is very poor.

Your scenario is unrealistic.
So what you are telling us is that Atlanta is comprised of poor, Ilegal Mexicans with hardly any Americans. Wow.

You do know that kidney failure doesn't happen overnight? Right?

Ok, where is the punch line? This is a joke correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration