Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As a purely theoretical excercise, (and forgetting illegals for a moment), that's an excellent question. What, indeed, would be the ramifications of a person's being 'against immigration', anyway?
We could say, "well, America was built on immigration...and we've always done it". OK, so what? Because we've 'always' done something, are we neccessarily destined to remain 'doing it' forever?

What would be the consequences of simply stopping ALL immigration into the USA for five years? How about ten years? How about forever? Would that make us a 'bad' country? Would we regret that decision? Would other countries hate us...and why? Few Americans demand the 'right' to emigrate to other countries (it happens...but rarely). What obligation do we have, as a society, to allow others to immigrate here? Who says so? And what obligations do other countries have to us, in regards to sending their citizens to immigrate here? Do we have some sort of 'duty' to the world,...or do we just allow immigration because 200 years ago, we 'SAID we would', and so far, we've always found a way to 'fit them in'? Because we 'needed' immigrants 100 years ago, does that mean we 'need' them now? Is our main obligation to our fellow citizens, or are we obligated to the world in general?

At one time, America was "for" murdering Indians, enslaving blacks, racial segregation, child labor, denying the vote to women and minorities, and religious intolerance. Does the fact that we've now changed, and are now "against" these things, mean that we've somehow abandoned our values?..."gone back on our principles"?...or become "hypocrites"?...or does it mean simply that times have changed, and what once was 'Standard practice', is no longer acceptable? If we were once "for" immigration, and now are not, would that mean we're hypocrites....or realists?

Excellent question. I expect some interesting comments.
You bring up some excellent points and questions. I think anyone with a little common sense can answer them all with valid answers.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Really? WHere have I done that? You know you're notorious for it, lol.
Speaking English can be fatal....

Post #25. You love to twist the facts so I really put little stock in what you say anymore.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM

313 posts, read 344,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Speaking English can be fatal....

Post #25. You love to twist the facts so I really put little stock in what you say anymore.
How is that not relevant to that discussion? The discussion was clearly about Latinos, and I acknowledged that. When I acknowledge it, people get uncomfortable and try to tread backwards and stick words back in their mouth. What I said in the post you quoted in no way backs up your accusation. All it did was put your frequent, zealous attacks of Hispanics in a bigger context.

I think you just don't like being called out on your BS. You make borderline delusional comments, and you kind of squirm when under the light.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
How is that not relevant to that discussion? The discussion was clearly about Latinos, and I acknowledged that. When I acknowledge it, people get uncomfortable and try to tread backwards and stick words back in their mouth. What I said in the post you quoted in no way backs up your accusation. All it did was put your frequent, zealous attacks of Hispanics in a bigger context.

I think you just don't like being called out on your BS. You make borderline delusional comments, and you kind of squirm when under the light.
Think of it as entertainment. It becomes funnier, but then stale.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

Pot: meet kettle.

I scrolled through quite a few of your posts and; if I did not know any better, you are stalking me-----------which I find quite hilarious since my comments are indeed touching a nerve for some reason.

Besides: my attacks are directed towards illegal aliens-----------most of whom happen to be some variety of Latino. Oh well.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Back on topic everyone, please.
Yac.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Pot: meet kettle.

I scrolled through quite a few of your posts and; if I did not know any better, you are stalking me-----------which I find quite hilarious since my comments are indeed touching a nerve for some reason.

Besides: my attacks are directed towards illegal aliens-----------most of whom happen to be some variety of Latino. Oh well.
It seems like the opposite: that your attacks are toward Hispanic and Mexican culture and the people: some of which happen to be illegal.

You talk a lot more about race and culture, and we all know that "illegal" is neither a race or a culture, but an residency status.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As a purely theoretical excercise, (and forgetting illegals for a moment), that's an excellent question. What, indeed, would be the ramifications of a person's being 'against immigration', anyway?
We could say, "well, America was built on immigration...and we've always done it". OK, so what? Because we've 'always' done something, are we neccessarily destined to remain 'doing it' forever?

What would be the consequences of simply stopping ALL immigration into the USA for five years? How about ten years? How about forever? Would that make us a 'bad' country? Would we regret that decision? Would other countries hate us...and why? Few Americans demand the 'right' to emigrate to other countries (it happens...but rarely). What obligation do we have, as a society, to allow others to immigrate here? Who says so? And what obligations do other countries have to us, in regards to sending their citizens to immigrate here? Do we have some sort of 'duty' to the world,...or do we just allow immigration because 200 years ago, we 'SAID we would', and so far, we've always found a way to 'fit them in'? Because we 'needed' immigrants 100 years ago, does that mean we 'need' them now? Is our main obligation to our fellow citizens, or are we obligated to the world in general?

At one time, America was "for" murdering Indians, enslaving blacks, racial segregation, child labor, denying the vote to women and minorities, and religious intolerance. Does the fact that we've now changed, and are now "against" these things, mean that we've somehow abandoned our values?..."gone back on our principles"?...or become "hypocrites"?...or does it mean simply that times have changed, and what once was 'Standard practice', is no longer acceptable? If we were once "for" immigration, and now are not, would that mean we're hypocrites....or realists?

Excellent question. I expect some interesting comments.
Yes and as you notice, Arpayaso hasn't responded to that question. I've been studying Japanese culture since I was in my early teens and of course I learned about their immigration policies and habits. You don't see the world or people within Japan making a huge deal out of their attitude towards "gaijin," or "foreigner/outside person." You also don't see them being attacked for their discrimination against outsiders in terms of jobs, credit and housing. However, our country is not supposed to be allowed to say, "We don't really want to take on this many immigrants" or make the policies more strict.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
It seems like the opposite: that your attacks are toward Hispanic and Mexican culture and the people: some of which happen to be illegal.

You talk a lot more about race and culture, and we all know that "illegal" is neither a race or a culture, but an residency status.
I just hope you can be open enough to think that maybe you are misunderstanding some things here. The mere fact that the majority of illegal immigrants are from Mexico, Guatemala or some other Central American country allows people to create a conversation about them in regards to the problem that the illegal immigration population is. It's like, people like yourself who are obviously defending illegal immigration, think that the fact that the majority of illegal immigrants are from Mexico and the other countries I listed is not an issue or is not a reason to focus on that group.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I just hope you can be open enough to think that maybe you are misunderstanding some things here. The mere fact that the majority of illegal immigrants are from Mexico, Guatemala or some other Central American country allows people to create a conversation about them in regards to the problem that the illegal immigration population is. It's like, people like yourself who are obviously defending illegal immigration, think that the fact that the majority of illegal immigrants are from Mexico and the other countries I listed is not an issue or is not a reason to focus on that group.
When having a discussion about illegal immigration, is it necessary to write COUNTLESS posts on all the flaws of Mexican CULTURE, criticizing it, smearing it, making claims, and basically stirring up controversy?

I think it's you that is misunderstanding what I'm talking about. Keep an eye on his posts, and see how many have more to do with race and Hispanic culture than with immigration itself. He is obviously strongly biased against Mexicans and Hispanic culture, and he is trying to share his own bias against them with others. When called out on it, THEN he back treads and says he only cares about illegals.

You'll see that his favorite topics are about race, especially when he gets a chance to talk about "racist Hispanics". His favorite scenario to talk about where Hispanics get put in "their place", is where brown Latinos are "bowing" or "cowering" by the presence of Whites in Latin America. The guy's sick.
Like how is this important to the immigration issue?

Quote:
In the USA you may be correct: in Mexico; the whiter the better---------the Holy Grail there is white skin, Northern Euro facial features and blue eyes. Telenovelas are a quick tipoff.

The 'la raza' types tend to cower SoB since they are considered to be essentially trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration