Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ok i was having that convo with that other poster.

but you are wrong again.

i dont think mexicans feel any which way towards blacks, since there are black people in Mexico. and honestly having lived around so many [mexicans] (in LA) ...the new arrivals are usually afraid of them. its funny that on the train if a black [or even white] person is sitting in the aisle seat with an empty window seat next to them, these lil latina ladies that get off work from the factories in vernon will not ask to sit next to them. its the strangest thing. what it is, who knows. but maybe they feel inferior? or are afraid of them.

i dont think the illegals are in a class by themselves. they pretty much represent what mexico is like. we have just given them an erroneous designation based on our own agenda.

the mexicans, illegal or otherwises in LA or in MX have always been kind to me. seriously i straddle two worlds. i think your son will be more atune to this than you.

i see these interactions on the metro blue line daily. this train line goes from downtown LA south through an industrial area where tons of latinos and blacks work. it cruises thru south central, thru florence, towards compton, and out to long beach. these areas are the most black and the most brown of LA. and they are mixed. i pay attention to what goes on in the train and the bus. i see how nice people are to eachother. i can safely say that the idea of animosity between these groups is hyped up.

i dont think illegals are arrogant either. i think you might be talkin about those marchers.
Granted, I have only visited resorts in Mexico, so I defer to your knowledge of Mexican citizens. I also haven’t visited LA in years -- not since the transformation to Mexifornia. However, I have anecdotal as well as firsthand knowledge of illegals in the DC area, and they are not to be desired. Perhaps it is an East/West phenomenon, I don’t know.

I’m sorry, but illegals ARE different. Anyone familiar with the Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights area of DC will tell you that Hispanics have lived there along with black and white Americans for many years with few incidents. As a matter of fact, I used to be a frequent visitor while dating a Latino, and never had a problem. His male friends were always asking if I had any family or friends they could meet. It’s a different ballgame now that illegals are there. My brother lives off of 14th Street in an area undergoing gentrification; and he told me that due to the influx of illegals in some areas, rival black gangs/crews now coalesce.

Blacks resent ANY foreigner coming here with a superiority complex; particularly, an illegal alien.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Exactly! Sometimes I wonder if the environment is different in the East coast than it is in the West coast. There are many racially mixed couples and children in the West coast. In my parent's church, its a spanish speaking catholic church, many children are mixed. The children are half Mexican or Mexican American and half African American. They speak both languages, have both cultures, etc. I used to attend a Black Baptist church in Long Beach with my ex and there were many racially mixed couples there too. I see them everywhere.

In general both ethnicities do get a long very well. As the one said, the problems are mostly gang related, drug related and territory.

I think that people have no connection or interaction with Mexicans. When they see Mexicans, they see them at a corner as a day laborer or in the marches. That limited "interaction" (if you can call it that) is not enough to form an opinion of a group of people. Its called stereotyping.
I have an interracial background, I was born and raised in an area with a high incidence of interracial relationships, and my marriage was interracial. That’s not the issue. I am referring to the animosity between Mexican illegal aliens and Black Americans. You’re comparing apples to oranges.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Granted, I have only visited resorts in Mexico, so I defer to your knowledge of Mexican citizens. I also haven’t visited LA in years -- not since the transformation to Mexifornia. However, I have anecdotal as well as firsthand knowledge of illegals in the DC area, and they are not to be desired. Perhaps it is an East/West phenomenon, I don’t know.
Trust me: we have no use for illegals here in Arizona either. Note while I was growing up in the DC area 30+ years ago; illegal aliens were either very thin on the ground or simply 'flew under the radar'. Too; 'Mexicans' were extremely rare and they almost always lived in 'Anglo' White areas--------one family from SoB lived directly behind me in Arlington.

Quote:
I’m sorry, but illegals ARE different. Anyone familiar with the Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights area of DC will tell you that Hispanics have lived there along with black and white Americans for many years with few incidents. As a matter of fact, I used to be a frequent visitor while dating a Latino, and never had a problem. His male friends were always asking if I had any family or friends they could meet. It’s a different ballgame now that illegals are there. My brother lives off of 14th Street in an area undergoing gentrification; and he told me that due to the influx of illegals in some areas, rival black gangs/crews now coalesce.
Adams Morgan was showing signs of gentrification prior to my leaving.

Quote:
Blacks resent ANY foreigner coming here with a superiority complex; particularly, an illegal alien.
Ain't just Blacks who are pissed-----------us White folks have no use for a cocky, arrogant foreigner either whatever his/her ethnicity is.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
There have been quite a few incidents here in So. Cal. on schoolgrounds of hostility and fights between blacks and hispanics. I don't know if the hispanics are illegals or not but regardless I think that some blacks resent hispanics because of the huge influx of illegals from that ethnic group. They have taken over neighborhoods and jobs that blacks use to have.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There have been quite a few incidents here in So. Cal. on schoolgrounds of hostility and fights between blacks and hispanics. I don't know if the hispanics are illegals or not but regardless I think that some blacks resent hispanics because of the huge influx of illegals from that ethnic group. They have taken over neighborhoods and jobs that blacks use to have.
We have had similar problems in Phx as well; the difference is the Black ghetto here is quite small (most AA's live in predominately Anglo White areas) down in S Phx.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Guess what, every race has had quite a few incidents in SoCal.

Up here in the Bay I see no such problems between Hispanics and Blacks...or Hispanics and anyone really.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Adams Morgan was showing signs of gentrification prior to my leaving.
Agreed. However, predominately black areas (14th St, U St, Florida Ave, etc.) are the areas now undergoing gentrification. You would be quite surprised at the transformation. It was rare to see whites in those areas in the past. Now, it is the norm.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Please substantiate your claim that Mexicans can only be sponsored by family.

Do work or student visas ring a bell? For your information, hundreds of thousands enter this country legally each year on work visas (EB-1, 2, H-1B) as well as student visas to attend our universities. Some eventually return home, while others go through the rigorous process of becoming a citizen.

Are you suggesting that ONLY Mexicans are unable to qualify for these visas? Or, are you suggesting the U.S. has excluded Mexicans? I am not aware of a law disqualifying citizens of Mexico from participating in our work or student visa programs.
First off, H-1B and student visas are non-immigrant visas. You cannot obtain citizenship with them.
Moving to the EB-2 visas, I see you are unfamiliar with the country quota system. Under this system, countries with a high demand for family visas (China, India, Mexico, and the Philippines currently) are barred from obtaining EB-2 visas until that backlog is lifted. For Mexico, this has been 21 years and counting. The exception is that an immigrant applying for an EB-2 with a sponsor immediate relative is not subject to the country quota restrictions on those visas. That is why there are several thousand people from these countries who obtain EB visas every year, but again, they still must have a sponsoring relative to obtain the visas even if it is not a family class visa.

That still leaves the EB-1 visa. Let's examine the criteria there:
USCIS - EB-1 Eligibility and Filing (Citizen and Immigration Services link)
" 'extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics which has been demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim and whose achievements have been recognized in the field through extensive documentation.' You must be one of 'that small percentage who have risen to the very top of the field of endeavor,' to be granted this classification. For example, if you receive a major internationally recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize, you will qualify for an EB-1 classification. Other awards may also qualify if you can document that the award is in the same class as a Nobel Prize."

You're right, that requires more than a 5th grade education. Considerably more. More than 99.999% of Americans. Basically the EB-1 is just a discount over an EB-5, since anyone eligible for an EB-1 can qualify relatively easily for an EB-5.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
First off, H-1B and student visas are non-immigrant visas. You cannot obtain citizenship with them.
Moving to the EB-2 visas, I see you are unfamiliar with the country quota system
. Under this system, countries with a high demand for family visas (China, India, Mexico, and the Philippines currently) are barred from obtaining EB-2 visas until that backlog is lifted. For Mexico, this has been 21 years and counting. The exception is that an immigrant applying for an EB-2 with a sponsor immediate relative is not subject to the country quota restrictions on those visas. That is why there are several thousand people from these countries who obtain EB visas every year, but again, they still must have a sponsoring relative to obtain the visas even if it is not a family class visa.

That still leaves the EB-1 visa. Let's examine the criteria there:
USCIS - EB-1 Eligibility and Filing (Citizen and Immigration Services link)
" 'extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics which has been demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim and whose achievements have been recognized in the field through extensive documentation.' You must be one of 'that small percentage who have risen to the very top of the field of endeavor,' to be granted this classification. For example, if you receive a major internationally recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize, you will qualify for an EB-1 classification. Other awards may also qualify if you can document that the award is in the same class as a Nobel Prize."

You're right, that requires more than a 5th grade education. Considerably more. More than 99.999% of Americans. Basically the EB-1 is just a discount over an EB-5, since anyone eligible for an EB-1 can qualify relatively easily for an EB-5.
Yes, I am aware of the fact that H-1B and student visas are non-immigrant. They merely authorize foreigners to either work or study in this country. I married an immigrant who initially entered this country on a student visa, so I understand the limitations. However, I also realize many, including my ex, ultimately adjust their status, and become citizens. And, yes, it can be a rather arduous process.

Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with the country quota system. My issue is not with legal immigration per se; thus, I admit to being ignorant to many aspects of the legal immigration process. If I understand you correctly, your assertion is that it is virtually impossible for a Mexican to become a U.S. citizen without some form of family sponsorship. If that is in fact the case, I stand corrected on my assumption to the contrary.

Nevertheless, whatever disparities may or may not exist between the legal immigration process for Mexicans and the process for other countries, it still does not justify the wanton disregard of our immigration laws by the millions who either deliberately overstay visas, or the millions who cross our border illegally.

As a sovereign nation, we are entitled to dictate our immigration laws. Moreover, we cannot compete in this world without intelligence and ingenuity. Thus, we need to encourage education for our citizens, as well as, ease the restrictions on foreigners receiving post-graduate educations in this country who desire to become citizens. We are educating far too many foreigners, only to lose them.

As you indicated, we have millions of uneducated citizens. Therefore, we certainly don’t need to import more. Our immigration laws should benefit the citizens of this country, not the impoverished of Mexico, or elsewhere.

Thank you for your enlightening post.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:

I live in So. Calif. The example of what goes on in the buses running all over L.A. county is not a true example of how latinos and blacks feel about each other and it is mostly due to the high influx of latino illegals. There have been numerous fights that have broken out on school grounds and there are latino and black gangs fighting each other all the time. Blacks are being pushed out of their neighborhoods by latinos thus the animosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.