Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Target halted sales. "It was never our intent to offend the consumers with the products we offer," Target said in a statement.

Walgreens spokeswoman Vivika Vergara said the costume was never in its stores and was pulled from its Web site. "We received feedback from customers and decided it was best to stop carrying it so it would not be subject to varied interpretation," she said in an e-mail message.
Target, Walgreens pull 'illegal alien' costume after complaints -- chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Default 'Illegal Alien' mask flap spooks retailers

Quote:
Jalem Getz, CEO of BuySeasons, which owns Buy Costumes, says the get-up is not offensive and he'll continue to sell it. "It's not a caricature of an illegal immigrant; it's a play on words," he says.

Getz says the costume was not one of the company's top 200 sellers until all the attention. Then it sold out quickly.

William Gheen of Americans for Legal Immigration, which favors tighter controls, put a costume on eBay. Bids went to $116 before eBay pulled it.
There are 451 comments at the end of this article.

'Illegal Alien' mask flap spooks retailers - USATODAY.com

Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Walmart would be hurt by sales as it's one of the biggest stores most Illegals shop at. From their end it makes sense, personally I'd like to see the store lose sales and we (the US) lose Illegals.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Anybody who has seen an illegal alien knows they don't look like that. Why would an alien head in an orange jumpsuit with a green card be considered offensive. They don't have green cards! They're illegals!

Now if they had a dirty black backpack, dusty sneakers, dusty jeans, dusty plaid western style shirt or dark t-shirt, and baseball cap with a bicycle as an optional accessory costume... that would be grounds to raise Cain.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
im still suprised everyone thought this was funny or not offensive.

as anti illegals i would think you would not want anyone making light of the situation. how serious are you guys?

thats like an anti abortionist giving a pass to a costume of a woman getting an abortion...

they are making this very important issue into a joke and yall just laugh along...

Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
im still suprised everyone thought this was funny or not offensive.

as anti illegals i would think you would not want anyone making light of the situation. how serious are you guys?

thats like an anti abortionist giving a pass to a costume of a woman getting an abortion...

they are making this very important issue into a joke and yall just laugh along...
Is #23 on this thread an anti?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...outrage-3.html

Old 10-22-2009, 02:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
It's a joke...a play on words....a low-brow attempt at humor....and nothing else. Perhaps the greatest loss to America in our new push for a multiculturalism will be the demise of our sense of humor. Making "light" of serious topics is a cherished American tradition..it's been around since the earliest days of our society.

The day we can't take a joke is the day America ceases to be America. May that day never happen..

Once again, it's a JOKE....it's not even making fun of illegal 'visitors'...it's a PLAY upon the term "ALIEN". Alien is a legal term that's been around FOREVER...since LONG before those 'extraterrestrials' came into fashion.

What a sorry excuse for an argument.

Speaking of "aliens", it's often asked, "Is there intelligent life out there, somewhere, beyond Earth". I can only sigh and say "I certainly HOPE so....since it's so sadly lacking around HERE".

I'm disgusted with ALL of us. If this is a "controversy", we all need to grow up. It's in 'bad taste', you say? How SHOCKING !!! Since when is ANYTHING remotely connected with Halloween expected to exhibit 'taste'?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's a joke...a play on words....a low-brow attempt at humor....and nothing else. Perhaps the greatest loss to America in our new push for a multiculturalism will be the demise of our sense of humor. Making "light" of serious topics is a cherished American tradition..it's been around since the earliest days of our society.

The day we can't take a joke is the day America ceases to be America. May that day never happen..

Once again, it's a JOKE....it's not even making fun of illegal 'visitors'...it's a PLAY upon the term "ALIEN". Alien is a legal term that's been around FOREVER...since LONG before those 'extraterrestrials' came into fashion.

What a sorry excuse for an argument.

Speaking of "aliens", it's often asked, "Is there intelligent life out there, somewhere, beyond Earth". I can only sigh and say "I certainly HOPE so....since it's so sadly lacking around HERE".

I'm disgusted with ALL of us. If this is a "controversy", we all need to grow up. It's in 'bad taste', you say? How SHOCKING !!! Since when is ANYTHING remotely connected with Halloween expected to exhibit 'taste'?
How true! Not only is this costume offensive, our flag is also offensive. Next -- red, white, and blue Christmas bulbs will be deemed offensive. Don’t be surprised if lawsuits are filed by those whose “civil rights” were violated due to being traumatized by these “racist” costumes. Pandering and political correctness has truly gotten out of control.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How true! Not only is this costume offensive, our flag is also offensive. Next -- red, white, and blue Christmas bulbs will be deemed offensive. Don’t be surprised if lawsuits are filed by those whose “civil rights” were violated due to being traumatized by these “racist” costumes. Pandering and political correctness has truly gotten out of control.
"The inmates are running the asylum", I'm afraid.....nothing more frightening than having a 'bad dream' and realizing that you can't wake up....because you already ARE...

Makes me truly ashamed of my own race....human.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Anybody who has seen an illegal alien knows they don't look like that. Why would an alien head in an orange jumpsuit with a green card be considered offensive. They don't have green cards! They're illegals!

Now if they had a dirty black backpack, dusty sneakers, dusty jeans, dusty plaid western style shirt or dark t-shirt, and baseball cap with a bicycle as an optional accessory costume... that would be grounds to raise Cain.
I live on the border and I haven't seen this guy

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5969/blalien8866.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration