U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
 
1,397 posts, read 1,613,339 times
Reputation: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think what the original poster (and others who would argue that Spanish should become an official language of the US) is not recognizing is that while Europeans can speak multiple languages it is because of their close proximity to other countries and of course it is their choice.
Look, if we were say Germany we could pick five different languages to speak based on proximity alone.

By this logic, it is all and good for US citizens in our Southern border states to speak Spanish. They propably do - or at least enough to get by. But why should someone who lives in North Dakota need to recognize Spanish as a second official language? They wouldn't.

Plus, Europeans (and I'll include the British in the description) choose freely what languages to learn. They are not forced to in order to placate a large illegal population. The day France recognizes Arabic or England recognizes Polish or China recognizes Korean as an official language is the day you have some credence.
Bingo

 
Unread 11-13-2009, 07:43 AM
 
45,439 posts, read 29,648,770 times
Reputation: 19862
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
If America sits on her heels and doesn’t adapt we won’t remain the most successful country on the planet for long. Increasing our language skills by adopting a second official U.S. language could be just the edge we need.

Ha ha! Your use of the word “subjected” tells me all I need to know about what you think of cultural diversity.

Fine. Nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?
You're wrong because the USA became the strongest and wealthiest nation in the world when it had one common language. Americans have always been known for reluctance to learn other languages but that didn't stop us from becoming rich and powerful as a nation, it helped us.

Countries like India had over 100 languages and dialects and were impoverished. Many languages doesn't do the trick -- not at all.

India has been making a lot of progress in recent years -- not because they are adding more languages but because they are learning English and uniting as a country with English. Now India is the largest English speaking country in the world -- while some suggest we give up a common language and break down into hundreds of languages and dialects.
 
Unread 11-13-2009, 07:54 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 5,261,822 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're wrong because the USA became the strongest and wealthiest nation in the world when it had one common language. Americans have always been known for reluctance to learn other languages but that didn't stop us from becoming rich and powerful as a nation, it helped us.

Countries like India had over 100 languages and dialects and were impoverished. Many languages doesn't do the trick -- not at all.

India has been making a lot of progress in recent years -- not because they are adding more languages but because they are learning English and uniting as a country with English. Now India is the largest English speaking country in the world -- while some suggest we give up a common language and break down into hundreds of languages and dialects.
I totally agree! It is the ethnocentric Spanish speakers in our country pushing this nonsense because they want Spanish to be on equal footing with English in our country. The idea that we should adopt Spanish as our second national language to accomodate illegal aliens is ludicrous to say the least. It is because we are providing everything in Spanish to them already that they aren't assimilating. They don't need to assimilate anyway, they need to leave!
 
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 24,163,939 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I totally agree! It is the ethnocentric Spanish speakers in our country pushing this nonsense because they want Spanish to be on equal footing with English in our country. The idea that we should adopt Spanish as our second national language to accomodate illegal aliens is ludicrous to say the least. It is because we are providing everything in Spanish to them already that they aren't assimilating. They don't need to assimilate anyway, they need to leave!
And to run with your ball further; with the (probable) implosion of Mexico possibly just months away, it would behoove Mx to start mandating studying English since we (the USA) may wind up with part of the former nation by default.

Google 'Juarez UN blue helmets' for more info.

Besides: Mexico today is a pipsqueak compared to the USA both economically (10% compared to us) as well as militarily.
 
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
 
45,439 posts, read 29,648,770 times
Reputation: 19862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Google 'Juarez UN blue helmets' for more info.
If the millions of Mexicans living in the USA who cry about the Gadsen purchase or the fact that Mexico gave up some territory to the USA, really cared about their country, they would go defend it rather than let it be taken over by these forces.

It's almost unbelievable what is taking place -- but the Aztlaners cry about land lost 100 years ago and are not doing a thing to rescue their land today.
 
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Some Beach... Somewhere...
2,639 posts, read 1,498,833 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I LIKE that idea. Too bad we don't do more of this already. We should introduce a foreign language to our kids early on, while they have a better chance of learning it with less accent--say, in kindergarten or even preschool.
It sounds like rather than "assimilate the illegals" what you're asking is that we "accomodate the illegals" who refuse to assimilate. Why would you want to dilute and lower American society by doing so?

FWIW, my 3 y.o. switches between Russian and English without thinking, and from what my wife and MIL tell me, has almost no accent. On the Spanish side, I forbid the presence of 'Dora the Illegal Explorer' in our house along with any TV (age appropriate for her) where the dialogue is sprinkled with Spanish terms (e.g., DragonTales). For exposure to SOB culture, I can tell her about 'those men' hanging outside 7-11 and Home Depot.
 
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 701,698 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly, so since that is probably 90% of where all interactions take place by the 10% or less of the population hiring them it doesn't make sense for everyone to learn Spanish.


Makes more sense to communicate with the Chinese.
Definitely makes alot of sense as China does own much of our country's debt AND is a flourishing market whereas Mexico does nothing for their people except give them tips on how to leech off of the American taxpayer!

Makes more sense to learn the language of those that will be MAKING the rules (the Chinese) than those that can't even take ownership of their own country..
 
Unread 11-14-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 24,163,939 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Definitely makes alot of sense as China does own much of our country's debt AND is a flourishing market whereas Mexico does nothing for their people except give them tips on how to leech off of the American taxpayer!

Makes more sense to learn the language of those that will be MAKING the rules (the Chinese) than those that can't even take ownership of their own country..
I am not so sure about China either.

Remember out of over 1 billion with a b people; only about 150 million Chinese are affluent. It would not surprise me to see another 'Cultural Revolution' take place there.
 
Unread 11-14-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Land of Sunshine & Sh*t (aka Tucson, AZ)
161 posts, read 121,697 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Very good point you have. These other immigrants who learned English would not need Spanish as a second official language. So it would be best to select Spanish as the official second language of the U.S.

Yes, sadly it seems that many Spanish speaking illegals don’t speak English very well. At first, anyway. But I think you are wrong about the reasons they come to the U.S. I think most illegals come here to work. Having Spanish as a second official language would allow us to better supervise them in their new jobs.

I don't necessarily agree. But I applaud your effort to support Spanish as a second official language inasmuch as you are responding in Spanish.
Of those that do only come here to work, they don't want to become American...they retain allegiance to their home countries so why should we go out of our way for them.

As for us speaking Spanish to better supervise them, I say bull crap on that. If they don't want to put forth the effort to fit in with us and our ways (you know...the country that is good enough for them to sneak into) then they need to go...PERIOD.

THEY should accommodate US and not the other way around.
 
Unread 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 5,261,822 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If the millions of Mexicans living in the USA who cry about the Gadsen purchase or the fact that Mexico gave up some territory to the USA, really cared about their country, they would go defend it rather than let it be taken over by these forces.

It's almost unbelievable what is taking place -- but the Aztlaners cry about land lost 100 years ago and are not doing a thing to rescue their land today.
This land called the USA never belonged to the Aztlaners anyway. Their homelands were way south of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top