Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

124 posts, read 91,913 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's me. Before I my girlfriend and I moved to Kansas City, and right after we graduated from college back home in NYC, we worked for three months on the Texas border with all types of people and it was fantastic. I learned Spanish by working beside migrant workers. These people were so dear to me.

I am so tired of:

1. People calling them "illegals". It is mean-spirited and completely uncharitible. What happened to the charity that the people of this nation are supposed to possess?

2. This war against other human beings that is nothing more than a thinly veiled racism.

3. Absolute fear of learning something new. People don't want Spanish to become prevalent in this country. When I was in college I engaged in a study abroad program in a country where there were 5 languages! It was fantastic! It was really interesting.

Undocumented workers are not taking our jobs. They are primarily occupying low-end jobs that pay very little, and they work hard and do it for their familes. Obviously, this country has some wealth to go around, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I have plenty of friends of hispanic origin, name a country...
I also find the different cultures very interesting...

HOWEVER, if you break the law to enter this country...you are in essence illegal.

Do you have children in the struggling public school system?? I do, how much less would the system be struggling if we didn't have to educate peoples children who are not contributing to the taxes that pay for education...I wouldn't dream of going to someone elses country and taking resources meant for citizens...

In Mexico, pregnant women walk across the boarder just in time to drop their children on American soil, just so that kid is an American citizen...if I went to England and had a child, if both parents were American, the child would be American...NOT English...

Its time to change the laws so countries like Mexico can use our country as a dumping ground rather then doing what it takes to make their country better...no wonder they don't want a fence between the US and Mexico, they might actually have to do something to take care of their own citizens rather then leaving that to us.

Isn't it odd that you don't see Canadians doing this??

Old 05-13-2007, 12:33 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
You don't see Canadians doing this because they usually don't have brown skin. You can't tell unless you talk to them for awhile. But yes, I've known a few Canadian illegals, and Irish and Brits.

For awhile I didn't think it was much of a big deal, but it seems we've hit critical mass and we need to make adjustments.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have plenty of friends of hispanic origin, name a country...
I also find the different cultures very interesting...

HOWEVER, if you break the law to enter this country...you are in essence illegal.

Do you have children in the struggling public school system?? I do, how much less would the system be struggling if we didn't have to educate peoples children who are not contributing to the taxes that pay for education...I wouldn't dream of going to someone elses country and taking resources meant for citizens...

In Mexico, pregnant women walk across the boarder just in time to drop their children on American soil, just so that kid is an American citizen...if I went to England and had a child, if both parents were American, the child would be American...NOT English...

Its time to change the laws so countries like Mexico can use our country as a dumping ground rather then doing what it takes to make their country better...no wonder they don't want a fence between the US and Mexico, they might actually have to do something to take care of their own citizens rather then leaving that to us.

Isn't it odd that you don't see Canadians doing this??
lisa,,excellent post!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:53 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,857 times
>>> ... People don't want Spanish to become prevalent in this country... <<<

Exactly......

Go to France and try to presume upon them with English....

It's a sad day when standing up for our language is thought of as being prejudice or racist. When the day comes that we remove all of the Spanish text books from our schools and libraries, then, and "only then" will we be able to use the terms "racist" and "language" in the same sentence.

This is the United States. English is spoken here..... so what's the problem?

Second and even third languages are not at all a problem in many areas of the world.

Next question:

Is Brazil racist??...

I thought that since they will only accept Portuguese as their primary and English as their secondary that they might be.... But they "are not".
Spanish is "absolutely" not accepted in Brazil.

Could we accept Spanish here as a secondary language??... U Bet...
Brazil accepts Portuguese as their primary language with English being secondary, so we might accept Spanish as a secondary language to our English.

As far as the term "illegal"?

If you break the law..... surprise, surprise..... you've done something "illegal"...... doesn't make much of a difference who you are, what color you are or even where you might be from.

heh heh.... breaking the law has got absolutely nothing to do with race.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
Maybe it's me. Before I my girlfriend and I moved to Kansas City, and right after we graduated from college back home in NYC, we worked for three months on the Texas border with all types of people and it was fantastic. I learned Spanish by working beside migrant workers. These people were so dear to me.

I am so tired of:

1. People calling them "illegals". It is mean-spirited and completely uncharitible. What happened to the charity that the people of this nation are supposed to possess?

2. This war against other human beings that is nothing more than a thinly veiled racism.

3. Absolute fear of learning something new. People don't want Spanish to become prevalent in this country. When I was in college I engaged in a study abroad program in a country where there were 5 languages! It was fantastic! It was really interesting.

4. Undocumented workers are not taking our jobs. They are primarily occupying low-end jobs that pay very little, and they work hard and do it for their familes. Obviously, this country has some wealth to go around, yes?
I couldn't disagree with you more. My heart goes out to the nice people you associated with and the many whom I've met and interacted with. I can completely empathize with desperate people. However, I will not give them a dime of my taxes to support or care for them while they essentially rape my country. That may not be their intent, I'm sure many don't cross the border thinking that way. Most are genuinely looking for opportunities they cannot find where they live now. Reality, however, is a different picture.

The Rio Grande Valley is highly agricultural and one of the lowest paying regions in the country, so the experience you describe is somewhat limited. In larger urban areas, the illegal aliens tend to be a different breed. Civic or national pride is an afterthought unless it is a recreation of their home country. There is no effort to assimilate into our culture and speak our language. The huge expense of teaching their children has burdened schools from coast to coast depriving our children of a 'good' education. Hospital waiting rooms are full of desperate illegals looking for help and our hospitals are forced to give it to them by law for free. All of this adds up to reduced services to those who are legal residents. While I predict my earlier use of the word 'rape' was offensive to you, it is an appropriate description of their impact on this country.

Point by point from your post above:
1) they are illegal aliens, they are criminals, they are also human beings but we owe them nothing
2) it is not racist, that they mostly derive from Latin America is no justification for that label, it's an excuse to foster sympathy
3) if I want to learn something new, I'll go to college or take a class, I won't sit by and have something forced on me everywhere I go
4) (added by me) obviously they work hard and companies are willing to pay them slave wages, but only 3% of the 10-30 million of them are employed by agriculture as day laborers, so the other 97% are competing with us on all our other jobs

Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:

I am so tired of:

It just happens to be the technically correct word. Our charity has been stretched to the breaking point by an unending flood of non-citizens.
Quote:
Total BS. Recent polls show that a majority of LEGAL Hispanics want border security WITHOUT amnesty.
Quote:
American citizens should not be required to speak a foreign language to work in their own country. While other languages are nice to know, they should never be mandatory.
Quote:
Undocumented workers are not taking our jobs. They are primarily occupying low-end jobs that pay very little, and they work hard and do it for their familes. Obviously, this country has some wealth to go around, yes?
BS again. The main concentrations of illegal workers are agriculture, all construction trades, meatpacking and service industries.

In agriculture, a Mexican icon by the name of Cesar Chavez formed the United Farm Workers Union, fighting for decent wages and working conditions for migrant workers. Mr. Chavez actually marched to the Mexican border to PROTEST illegal aliens, KNOWING that they lowered wages for his workers.

In construction, jobs that paid $25 an hour 15 years ago now pay $12. Those are jobs that Americans have ALWAYS done, and at a livable wage.

Meatpacking has become dominated by illegal labor. As in construction, the wages paid today are less than half of what they were when Americans did that job.

Fast food and service sector jobs used to be a stepping stone for our young to get their foot into the labor market and learn the responsibilities of adult life. These jobs are increasingly unavailable to them, either.

The wealth is not being 'spread around', it's being concentrated in the hands of criminal employers through their abuse of illegal labor, and the taxpayers wind up paying the tab.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:

I am so tired of:

What war are you taking about? We let 5 to 10 thousand illegals over the border every day. The ACLU takes to court any city or state that wants to protect itself. If a citizen complains that an illegal took his job, then he is labeled a racist.

There is a war going on all right, but the US hasn't declared war on illegals. The illegals have declared war on the United States, and they are winning.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 PM

124 posts, read 91,913 times
turn the other cheek?

Old 05-13-2007, 03:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:

I am so tired of:

Perhaps you and your girlfriend are young and maybe have not seen whole communities destroyed by masses of impoverished illegals as some of us have. I was once in my 20s and felt sympathy for illegals at one time before i was forced to pay taxes to support them and their children. When i moved to southern calif and worked in member services for a medi-cal contracted hmo, i saw just how many pregnant illegal women milked the generous welfare system of calif. That was in the early 90s and has only gotten worse since that time. Between 40-50% of the childhood births in los angeles cty are to illegal women since no public hospital will deny them services. As these children go up, they then qualify for free education, healthcare etc. Meanwhile, as an American taxpayer gets older and makes more income, he pays MORE taxes. They in turn will work bajo la mesa and escape the tax slavery that americans must suffer. If they manage to have taxes deducted from their paycheck, many of them will probably get refunds b/c of their low incomes and # of dependents. I entered CA as a liberal and left california as a moderate with some very conservative attitudes enforced by what i saw as the injustices imposed on taxpayers. PLEASE DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOUR STATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration