Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,388,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is against the law not to file your taxes. Oh well, just another law broken by the illegals. What do you think happens when they are using someone else's SS number to work and the real owner of the number files his taxes and the IRS wants to know why they didn't claim all of their income under their number? I already posted a case where illegals used other's SS numbers to gain unemployment and the same thing happened to them. Their refunds were held up for months to straighten that mess out.
How can you file your taxes if you don't have a social security number? They don't file their taxes because they can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I never said it was good, just correcting your inaccurate statement that they aren't paying into federal and state taxes, because alot of them are.
With stolen ssn -- you must have forgotten that part. Or were you trying to mislead? Or were you merely in such a hurry to correct my 'inaccurate statement' that you forgot that identity fraud can ruin peoples credit scores for years thus rendering them incapable of buying a house, buying a car or even barring them from certain employment? Or perhaps you are one of those that believes the end justifies the means? Any which way you omission is rather telling.....

Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
With stolen ssn -- you must have forgotten that part. Or were you trying to mislead? Or were you merely in such a hurry to correct my 'inaccurate statement' that you forgot that identity fraud can ruin peoples credit scores for years thus rendering them incapable of buying a house, buying a car or even barring them from certain employment? Or perhaps you are one of those that believes the end justifies the means? Any which way you omission is rather telling.....
I wasn't arguing that aspect, I replied to your comment that illegals don't contribute to state or federal taxes. You said they don't and that's untrue, many do.

this is what I replied to:
Quote:
Well for one thing the people you cite are still paying federal taxes - illegals do not contribute to either state or federal coffers yet take services from both.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
How can you file your taxes if you don't have a social security number? They don't file their taxes because they can't.
If they used a fake or stolen SS number to work they can file their taxes under those numbers.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,166,622 times
Quote:
If they used a fake or stolen SS number to work they can file their taxes under those numbers.
Where I worked we would match the SSN against the name based on information provided by the SSA. If the name doesn't match, the withholding is disallowed, and the filer does not get credit for any tax withheld. However, the income reported is accepted, and instead of a refund he or she will get a bill. And it goes to the person who filed the return and not to the person who is actually the rightful owner of the SSN.

The same thing is done with any co-filer and/or dependents listed on the return. No valid SSN, no credit or exemption is allowed.

I would suspect we aren't the only state that does this.

Last edited by janetvj; 12-10-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
True. But I could never swear that if I were in a position where I needed to make a choice between breaking the law in order to support my family or staying put and allowing my family to continue to live in poverty that I wouldn't do the same thing. I can empathize with some of these people, and I just can't blame them for trying to make their lives better. I think we instead need to go after the employers who hire them.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's how I feel.
You must not be discussing Mexico; being that starvation is not a problem in that nation. Hell; there are places right here in the USA where people are now going hungry thanks to this recession.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,565,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
True. But I could never swear that if I were in a position where I needed to make a choice between breaking the law in order to support my family or staying put and allowing my family to continue to live in poverty that I wouldn't do the same thing. I can empathize with some of these people, and I just can't blame them for trying to make their lives better. I think we instead need to go after the employers who hire them.

I know not everyone will agree, but that's how I feel.

I think this is an honest and reasonable position. If we were 'them' and they wrere 'us', who knows but that WE'D do what the illegals are doing ? Good point.

But we're NOT them....and they're NOT us. And besides, if we "went after" the employers who hire them (which we certainly SHOULD do), wouldn't these illegals still lose their jobs? So who would you hurt if you prosecuted the employers? You could give them amnesty, too...but remember that their employers can't "afford" to employ legal help..so receiving amnesty would probably result in their losing their jobs, too...not to mention causing massive anger in the American populace, while encouraging even MORE illegals to show up here to get THEIR amnesty at some future date.

Closing down the border.....deporting people....or shutting down employers...in any case, one way or another, you're STILL taking a stand against illegals. Maybe we should go after the ORIGINAL 'oppressors' of illegals....the unfair societies they come from, and the sometimes unwise cultural practices that result in the poverty that drives them to leave home.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
You must be in HR then, how else would you have access to their W4's and W2's to see how many exemptions they had claimed.

Either way, that is far too small of a sample to speak for the entire undocumented working population. The cases I've seen have mainly claimed very few exemptions.
Finance, you know the people that actually cut the checks.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Multiply this a few hundred thousand times over the US.

Illegal Immigrants Accused Of Getting Tax Refunds In Greeley - cbs4denver.com (http://cbs4denver.com/local/illegal.immigration.greeley.2.864743.html - broken link)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
They'd be filing somebody else's taxes then, do you seriously expect illegal immigrants to do that? That's a ridiculous request, why would they do that and risk getting caught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration