Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,080,302 times

Advertisements

I don't know where the man who wrote the article referenced in post #1 got his statistics - it sounds a lot like a chain e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
JESUS CHRIST!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Most of the other people who made posts on here
And insert any other post here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Snopes examined similar statistics here: snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles

Snopes references the 95% statistics and explains them like this:

"95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

This figure also appears (unsourced) in Heather Mac Donald's testimony before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims:

Even if the statistic is accurate, however, it is subject to a variety of interpretations. For example, illegal aliens might be disproportionately represented by outstanding homicide warrants in Los Angeles because they are more likely to flee the jurisdiction before their cases are adjudicated than legal residents are (not necessarily because they commit a far greater share of the homicides in Los Angeles). This interpretation is supported by a University of California Davis summary of immigration issues that notes:

"
So, you are speculating? Why would you defend the amount of criminals? Does an exact number matter? No, it's impossible to know an exact number. What we do know is that it's a huge out of control problem.

For all we know that number is far higher.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 PM

That is Barbara Mikkelson of Snopes speculating. I quoted her statement on Snopes.

"Why would you defend the amount of criminals?" - That statement misses the point of her statement, that the % of illegals on outstanding homicide warrants does not necesarily mean illegals commit a higher % of the crimes - Mikkelson says that illegals are more likely to flee the jurisdiction, so the city is more likely to pass down outstanding warrants to illegals. Also she references the UC Davis study.

In addition Heather MacDonald did not state where her testimony came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So, you are speculating? Why would you defend the amount of criminals? Does an exact number matter? No, it's impossible to know an exact number. What we do know is that it's a huge out of control problem.

For all we know that number is far higher.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,443,714 times
Quote:
I don't know where the man who wrote the article referenced in post #1 got his statistics - it sounds a lot like a chain e-mail
What does a "chain E-mail" sound like?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
What does a "chain E-mail" sound like?
Like the one Snopes dissects in the first part of this article: snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles (same article I referenced earlier in this thread) - Look at all of the statistics in that chain e-mail and how they are presented.

This particular specimen referenced in this post has a mixture of true, false, unclear, and subjective information.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
That is Barbara Mikkelson of Snopes speculating. I quoted her statement on Snopes.

"Why would you defend the amount of criminals?" - That statement misses the point of her statement, that the % of illegals on outstanding homicide warrants does not necesarily mean illegals commit a higher % of the crimes - Mikkelson says that illegals are more likely to flee the jurisdiction, so the city is more likely to pass down outstanding warrants to illegals. Also she references the UC Davis study.

In addition Heather MacDonald did not state where her testimony came from.
Factoring in ID theft, false SSN's, non reporting of income, etc. I can safely that 100% of all illegal aliens are indeed criminals----------such Felonies would land an American in Federal prison.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:55 PM

However the Snopes article was specifically discussing homicide statistics and not statistics related to other criminal acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Factoring in ID theft, false SSN's, non reporting of income, etc. I can safely that 100% of all illegal aliens are indeed criminals----------such Felonies would land an American in Federal prison.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM

515 posts, read 717,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think they are fired. Well, unless they steal the next election and do not doubt that there will be many dead people voting. Very important to pull ones backside off the couch and go vote and not by absentee ballots please. Far too easy to just toss those out.
The dems are desperate enough right now to pull a major stunt and it's my guess that we just might see 10-20 million* brand spanking new voters come November.

Just watch them try to ram through some kind of amnesty while they still have the numbers...there were some deals made with Hispanics to get them to vote yes on the health scam.

So as well as watching for dead dem voters and multible dem voters, we'll also be watching (unless we are vigilant and very vocal), millions of newly-legal dem voters.

* Your guess on the actual number is as good as mine; who really knows?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
The dems are desperate enough right now to pull a major stunt and it's my guess that we just might see 10-20 million* brand spanking new voters come November.

Just watch them try to ram through some kind of amnesty while they still have the numbers...there were some deals made with Hispanics to get them to vote yes on the health scam.

So as well as watching for dead dem voters and multible dem voters, we'll also be watching (unless we are vigilant and very vocal), millions of newly-legal dem voters.

* Your guess on the actual number is as good as mine; who really knows?
Not likely: it would be political suicide; minimum, come November and, quite possibly immediate civil unrest that would dwarf the riots of the Civil Rights era (even the MLK ones of 1968).

Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not likely: it would be political suicide; minimum, come November and, quite possibly immediate civil unrest that would dwarf the riots of the Civil Rights era (even the MLK ones of 1968).
Without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration