Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,993,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
That diagram states that the H-1B visa cap is below demand. That's actually true, because the greedy coporatists want their labor as cheap as they can get it, which is why they regularly fire American technology workers so cheap H-1B workers can be hired in their place. I wonder if Shikka Dalmia, the co-artist of the diagram, knows that -- yes, she probably does.

So then, what have we learned? That even discussion of how to legally bring immigrants into the U.S. is controlled by the cheap labor lobby. Do not ever forget that.
This is the first generation of Americans that is doing worse than their parents.
Both parties pushed Nafta and Cafta through.
Both parties favor illegals.
There seems to be a concerted effort to break the back of one of the things that made America wonderful - the promise of upward mobility - of working hard and clearing a path for a better future, for you and for your children.

That is being taken away from us with jobs going overseas and with these work visas.

Illegals ARE taking jobs that Americans need. They are lowering wages for our people. Entire industries are being revolutionized by illegal workers. The construction industry in California was mostly black business, now it is illegals. A special law was passed after Katrina to allow for illegal labor in the rebuild, locking out local black businesses.

My parents got their start doing that low level manual farm work that illegals are now doing, but at a better relative pay. Those jobs used to help poor people gain a step up for future generations.

This country is (deliberately?) being divided into the poor and the very wealthy, just as in some Latin American countries.

It is all for the sake of corporatism, I agree.

It used to be said 'what is good for GM is good for America'. Many supported American business because it kept the factories busy. Now, it is corporate America who has betrayed the people of this country - those whose sweat and sometimes blood put them where they are today.

This is no time for our citizens to be divided ethnically or racially. We are ALL under attack by this disaster.

There has to be a time to put your foot down and say
NO MORE'. I believe now is that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 04:59 PM

126 posts, read 280,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
That diagram states that the H-1B visa cap is below demand. That's actually true, because the greedy coporatists want their labor as cheap as they can get it, which is why they regularly fire American technology workers so cheap H-1B workers can be hired in their place. I wonder if Shikka Dalmia, the co-artist of the diagram, knows that -- yes, she probably does.

So then, what have we learned? That even discussion of how to legally bring immigrants into the U.S. is controlled by the cheap labor lobby. Do not ever forget that.
I agree with you, if the question is which skilled professionals are in demand, it would be really hard to find one, currently there way too many american
engineers, scientists, and architects without jobs. Maybe with the health reform many doctors will go into early retirement, and a transient demand for doctors may happen. I think we are as fair as we can be with our immigrations laws......

Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,539,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is the first generation of Americans that is doing worse than their parents.
Both parties pushed Nafta and Cafta through.
Both parties favor illegals.
There seems to be a concerted effort to break the back of one of the things that made America wonderful - the promise of upward mobility - of working hard and clearing a path for a better future, for you and for your children.

That is being taken away from us with jobs going overseas and with these work visas.

Illegals ARE taking jobs that Americans need. They are lowering wages for our people. Entire industries are being revolutionized by illegal workers. The construction industry in California was mostly black business, now it is illegals. A special law was passed after Katrina to allow for illegal labor in the rebuild, locking out local black businesses.

My parents got their start doing that low level manual farm work that illegals are now doing, but at a better relative pay. Those jobs used to help poor people gain a step up for future generations.

This country is (deliberately?) being divided into the poor and the very wealthy, just as in some Latin American countries.

It is all for the sake of corporatism, I agree.

It used to be said 'what is good for GM is good for America'. Many supported American business because it kept the factories busy. Now, it is corporate America who has betrayed the people of this country - those whose sweat and sometimes blood put them where they are today.

This is no time for our citizens to be divided ethnically or racially. We are ALL under attack by this disaster.

There has to be a time to put your foot down and say
NO MORE'. I believe now is that time.
I'm with you on this...Enforce our laws, secure our borders, stiffen fines and hand down sentences for employers who hire illegals. Remove the monetary incentives for illegal aliens, end birthright citizenship.
I miss my America.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,993,985 times
I think both parties will be pushing really hard for their screwed up concept of immigration reform right now. THey don't want the Arizona solution to become popular and take on a head of steam. If they don't strike now they are probably doomed, so we're in for a battle.

Honestly, why can't they represent and protect US instead of those big business interests? Why can't they do what's right for a change? They'll sell this country down the hill for a buck.

Someone said that they would rather wait until right after the November elections. That is usually when the bad things get pushed down our throats. They think, rightly, that the public has a short memory and by the time elections come up again there will be other issues - or maybe they'll invent some?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM

683 posts, read 429,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The process is very simple.
It's not supposed to be easy and neither is life, if you want a better life via American tax dollars then do it legally and get in line. If you don't want to wait invade some other country illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration