Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

If you're in Arizona and look even remotely like some policeman's idea of an illegal immigrant, a law signed today says you will have to produce papers showing you're in the USA legally whenever and where-ever an officer requests this -- and so will anyone else with you. Now, faith leaders are calling this new law, signed by Gov. Jan Brewer this afternoon, a sin against God and man and at least one says believers should not comply.

Arizona immigration law is 'moral and social sin:' Faith leaders - Faith & Reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you're in Arizona and look even remotely like some policeman's idea of an illegal immigrant, a law signed today says you will have to produce papers showing you're in the USA legally whenever and where-ever an officer requests this -- and so will anyone else with you. Now, faith leaders are calling this new law, signed by Gov. Jan Brewer this afternoon, a sin against God and man and at least one says believers should not comply.

Arizona immigration law is 'moral and social sin:' Faith leaders - Faith & Reason
Sometimes the rights of the many (US citizens/green card holders) outweigh the rights of the few (people who may resemble a known group of criminals [illegal aliens qualify]).

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
If here legally what is the big deal. I am listening now to whiners on TV spinning this as some horror, Geraldo forefront fanning said flames. This type of lunacy is beyond my comprehension. This reaction CLEARLY shows they have no clue what they are talking about and cannot understand one simple concept. They are in the country illegally, they need to leave. And as soon as possible.

Good Riddance!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
How else are we supposed to know if they are illegal or not? If they're illegal then we'll never know. Seems like the people against this measure have something to worry about.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
How else are we supposed to know if they are illegal or not? If they're illegal then we'll never know. Seems like the people against this measure have something to worry about.
When I am in Arizona, the law pertains to me. to everyone in Arizona, staying in Az, or passing through Az.

The law does not say I must produce papers, It says that a Law Enforcement Officer with "reasonable suspision" can ask me my citizenship.
Now in Arizona, it is a crime to be in the country without Authorzation. [The Federal Government does not coniser being in this Country, without Authrzation an incarcerable offense] Now in the State of Arizona, you will be aressted by an LEO for not answering on citizenship; when arrested you will be taken to the Station and a Verification will be run on you to determin your citizenship. The Law says Any person...not Illegal only.

The right of the people not to Incriminate oneself is one of the founding rights. We all know it as the right to remain slient. Police officers even read you your rights if arrested. Called the Miranda rights, these rightn have to be explained to you...And All People, before any questions of investigation are asked. The State of Arizona can not suspend those fundamental rights with a State law.

The L.E.O. is not asking for Identification, that would mean the he is investigating a crime and would have to have "Probable Cause".
How many times are you stopped throughpout the day and asked from a Law Eenforcment Officer to see your I.D.? Not many I would imagine, why? Because the LEO knows that people are secure in their right of unreasonable search and seizures.

Many of you sre saying Illegals have no rights. I would argue that the Supreme Court says they do.

But even if you are right. and illegal have no rights. the person is not deternined to be unauthorized untill it is verified at the station. so until verification the Police officer has no way of knowing if that person is "legal" or not. Suspicion is not proof. So even then, that preson is affored all the rights and consideration under the Constitution of the United States.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 AM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
I am asked for ID almost every day. It has never bothered me. The only thing that will happen is that they will flee to another state and set up shop there.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Search and seizure? That isn't what this bill entails. As I have stated in here over and over, first a person has to have deemed to have committed some infraction of the law to be stopped, asked for valid I.D. and if they cannot produce it at that time "reasonable suspicion" comes into play that they are in this country illegally and the officer can ask. Why would anyone other than an illegal alien object to that or choose to remain silent?

We as citizens are not stopped by LE on a daily basis and asked for I.D. because the scenario above would have to occur first. However, we are all asked for our I.D. nearlly on a daily basis while using a credit card and numerous other reasons we have to identity ourselves so what is the difference?

Yes, suspicion is never proof but that isn't what this is about. Suspicion just means further investigation is needed at the station where their databases can be checked.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I am asked for ID almost every day. It has never bothered me. The only thing that will happen is that they will flee to another state and set up shop there.
What does your ID have to do with the new law?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
In my area the police frequently stop traffic to look for escaping crooks in the back of the car or for discouraging drunk driving.
This is done on a random basis and they check my license and registration.

If people can be stopped randomly than there is no way they can claim discrimination.

There are illegal Poles and Irish in the country, and countless others.

If the feds say you cannot stop people without probable cause then they can no longer stop me, an innocent party, because they are looking for that crook and they certainly will have to change the law that allows random stops trolling for drunk drivers.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Speaking of geraldos position...

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Explodes Over Illegal Immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration