Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM

264 posts, read 457,361 times

Advertisements

Alicia Colon

» From One Hispanic to Others — Arizona, You're Being Had By the Media - Big Journalism

Quote:
I am an American of Hispanic heritage and I look the part. I can’t count how many times I’ve been asked, “Do you speak English?” According to the rhetoric being showered in the media I’m supposed to be upset at being asked for my “papers.” Oh really?

Ask any American of every ethnicity how often they are asked for picture ID. The answer is it happens on a daily basis- checking into hotels, using credit cards, at job interviews. We should be used to this by now. The only place we don’t have to be documented is at the voting booth. If voters had to prove their eligibility the Democrats would lose their base and their power.

Great Read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
what?! everytime i go vote, be it a local vote, municipal vote, presidential vote, i am aksed for my ID. they have this little book that you have to sign.

its a GARBAGE read. what an absurd idea! especially the whole democrat thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post

Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
As a Latina, that was so refreshing to read. Mostly because it's so true.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,114 times
What a waste of effing time that read was. Democrats will loose their base and power? This is some Anne Coulter horse s***. Democrats and Republicans are both required to, at the time of vote registration, show a social security card along with a driver's license. Your SS card won't be given to you unless you're a citizen...and if you do register to vote without being a citizen (Fraud), you'll be committing a serious federal offense. It hasn't been found that there is wide-sweeping voter registration fraud.

Moreover, the democratic 'base'?! Since when are illegal aliens, who can't even vote anyway, the democratic base. The reason democrats get up in arms about a voter ID card is because that's just another barrier to voting... and people would have to go totally out of their way, aside from getting a driver's license and a SS card, to get a damn voting card. Poor people or people with limited resources probably wouldn't see a true benefit in the $10-$20 (it's a guess as to how much itd cost) the voting ID card, and in effect would be another 'poll tax'. That's why, at least in Texas, you register to vote the same time and place you get your driver's license.

I don't care if the author of the article is Hispanic... an absolute garbage read indeed. Just another article designed to attempt to disprove how racist this all really is.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
What a waste of effing time that read was. Democrats will loose their base and power? This is some Anne Coulter horse s***. Democrats and Republicans are both required to, at the time of vote registration, show a social security card along with a driver's license. Your SS card won't be given to you unless you're a citizen...and if you do register to vote without being a citizen (Fraud), you'll be committing a serious federal offense. It hasn't been found that there is wide-sweeping voter registration fraud.

Moreover, the democratic 'base'?! Since when are illegal aliens, who can't even vote anyway, the democratic base. The reason democrats get up in arms about a voter ID card is because that's just another barrier to voting... and people would have to go totally out of their way, aside from getting a driver's license and a SS card, to get a damn voting card. Poor people or people with limited resources probably wouldn't see a true benefit in the $10-$20 (it's a guess as to how much itd cost) the voting ID card, and in effect would be another 'poll tax'. That's why, at least in Texas, you register to vote the same time and place you get your driver's license.

I don't care if the author of the article is Hispanic... an absolute garbage read indeed. Just another article designed to attempt to disprove how racist this all really is.
One more time, there is nothing in the law that has anything related to race. You may "imply" it is, which is fine, but there is no verbage in it anywhere relate to race or skin color. Illegal is not a race.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
For those who foolishly believe illegals don't vote:

Comment: Lax system allows noncitizens to vote (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/MYSA121706_4H_connettcomment_1e45ed5_html.html - broken link)

--The secretary of state's office admits that, under existing Texas law, "there is no formal verification of an applicant's citizenship status." Instead, our voter registration system naively relies on the honesty of all participants instead of verifying citizenship.--

Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One more time, there is nothing in the law that has anything related to race. You may "imply" it is, which is fine, but there is no verbage in it anywhere relate to race or skin color. Illegal is not a race.
Lol... My apologies then.

Separate but equal was in no way intended to create inferior schools for blacks. The law had no verbage about creating inferior, squalid conditions for blacks. It had nothing related to how the government didn't want black culture contaminating white culture. You may 'imply' that it did, which is fine, but there was no verbage in it anywhere relate to inferiority or opression.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Lol... My apologies then.

Separate but equal was in no way intended to create inferior schools for blacks. The law had no verbage about creating inferior, squalid conditions for blacks. It had nothing related to how the government didn't want black culture contaminating white culture. You may 'imply' that it did, which is fine, but there was no verbage in it anywhere relate to inferiority or opression.

Which has what? to do with illegal immigration or a law? A social or economic issue is a completely different thing.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Which has what? to do with illegal immigration or a law? A social or economic issue is a completely different thing.
It has to do with the fact that a law can be created with a façade that hides an ugly, underlying fear, belief or prejudice... or created to legally discriminate against a group of people.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
Breitbart, why not NewsMax or the Mooney Times

You're the one being had
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration