Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:23 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Since when have they ever listened to the people? Not much in my long lifetime. We don't make the headlines.

Ya but they have bleeding hearts for illegals..I guess screw the American tax paying citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Ya but they have bleeding hearts for illegals..I guess screw the American tax paying citizens.
Seems that's how it is. My hope is that in my lifetime we will wake up and do something about all this garbage. Let them know they need to listen to us.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Many people refer to the term amnesty. Is there a legal definition right now? Or is it based on the context of the political protagonist?
To most of us anti-illegals it doesn't matter whether you call it amnesty or legalization or a path to citizenship. We want none of the above because the result of all three would be allowing these illegals to remain in our country.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
Well, as an anti-illegal, son of immigrants who have never been illegal, who feels insulted with unlawful presence, as long as they get in the end of the line, pay fines, and pass background checks, I'm ok with a path to citizenship.

I feel insulted with notions of "English only," and forms of xenophobia equally as I feel insulted with unlawful presence of illegals.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Do you even know the definition if amnesty? By your post I would venture to guess that you don't.
Keep venturing.

I do know the definition of amnesty. I also excelled in comprehension, which incorporates the context of surrounding words, sentences, and issues. It is not unusual for a politician, or partisan demagogue, to misapply a word to mislead his audience. Often this is inferred because of those very surrounding words, sentences, and issues. Because of that, I will question what others mean, because I don't trust everyone else to use a term accurately.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
Quote:
Well, as an anti-illegal, son of immigrants who have never been illegal, who feels insulted with unlawful presence, as long as they get in the end of the line, pay fines, and pass background checks, I'm ok with a path to citizenship.

I feel insulted with notions of "English only," and forms of xenophobia equally as I feel insulted with unlawful presence of illegals.
At the end of what line? Behind others who have NOT been allowed to "wait" in this country? No, they will pay some pennies and still suck off of this country, just legally while they bring the rest of their families. They need to leave and apply. 9 out of 10, we won't accept them because they will NOT contribute to this society. It's time we get picky. WE have that right as America. English only? And you are offended? It's America.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

The lines form in the immigrant's countries though, not here. You don't come here illegally first and expect to be placed in some imaginary line on our soil in front of those in the real lines in their respective countries.

Who is advocating "Enlish only"? Many Americans would like to make English our "official" langauge. Do you have a problem with that? If you do then you must have a problem with the numerous other countries that have an official langauge, right? English deserves its rightful place in our culture and heritage as "official". By no means does it mean that an immigrant cannot speak another language but the expectation for them to learn ours is not unreasonable either. It would save us a lot of tax dollars not having to print all kinds of government documents in several languages also.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
At the end of what line? Behind others who have NOT been allowed to "wait" in this country? No, they will pay some pennies and still suck off of this country, just legally while they bring the rest of their families. They need to leave and apply. 9 out of 10, we won't accept them because they will NOT contribute to this society. It's time we get picky. WE have that right as America. English only? And you are offended? It's America.
And America is a melting pot of languages. Always has been. America has allowed the Irish, Italians, and Chinese to keep their languages (thankfully for me). America has never been English only. An English only policy would not be American. I'm fine with English first. And if suppliers of American and visitor consumers want to differentiate themselves from other suppliers, they can do so by adding as many languages to meet those demands. As immigrants, my parents learned English. But they would never give up their old language. And shouldn't have to. Yes, I am offended. It wasn't asked of immigrants to surrender their old languages in the 1800s and 1900s.

People blur those two concepts (English only and English first), either intentionally or ignorantly. Being multilingual is a competitive advantage that has served me well above the myopic folks who dig their head in the sand and refuse to adjust to an evolving world. English only? No.

I'm sure if I didn't have a job to get back to I could come up with the kind of policy to satisfy all my concerns about why and when illegals should leave and return as a path to citizenship. I do NOT give advocates of the path to citizenship a blank check to claiming my support. But, alas, I have a life to return to.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
Quote:
And America is a melting pot of languages. Always has been. America has allowed the Irish, Italians, and Chinese to keep their languages (thankfully for me). America has never been English only. An English only policy would not be American. I'm fine with English first. And if suppliers of American and visitor consumers want to differentiate themselves from other suppliers, they can do so by adding as many languages to meet those demands. As immigrants, my parents learned English. But they would never give up their old language. And shouldn't have to. Yes, I am offended. It wasn't asked of immigrants to surrender their old languages in the 1800s and 1900s.

People blur those two concepts (English only and English first), either intentionally or ignorantly. Being multilingual is a competitive advantage that has served me well above the myopic folks who dig their head in the sand and refuse to adjust to an evolving world. English only? No.

I'm sure if I didn't have a job to get back to I could come up with the kind of policy to satisfy all my concerns about why and when illegals should leave and return as a path to citizenship. I do NOT give advocates of the path to citizenship a blank check to claiming my support. But, alas, I have a life to return to.
English first certainly, and English ONLY with signs, instructions and the such. You can speak whichever language you want. Why pay for those who refuse to learn English? Learn America's language, English and we can eliminate the wasted cost of appeasing, especially to a racially profiled group by corporations and politicans such as hispanics.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Although other languages are spoken in this country there is no denying that English is our de facto national langauge and always has been. Again, there is no English "only" proposal as you are suggesting. Who is it that is demanding that immigrants give up their native langauges totally? It is advisable that they keep their native langauges and cultures alive at home if they so choose. Where are you getting these notions anyway?

Just what other langauge or langauges are you advising Americans to learn and what for? Unless you deal in tourism or with businesses overseas there is no reason for it. It is much more important for Americans to learn job skills and become college educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration