Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM

364 posts, read 244,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A few weeks ago the same tactic was used in West Los Angeles outside the Federal Building when dozens of students sat down on Wilshire Blvd and blocked traffic during the rush hour. These are civil disobedience tactics that draw attention to the problem but also inconvenience regular people going about their day. Once an LA freeway was blocked\ locked down by protesters of the Iraq war and caused a traffic jam miles long. I don't think commuters were happy with the protesters even if they also opposed the Arizona law.

I think civil disobedience should be limited to Arizona not California where the state is actually leading the boycott.
if ilegal ppl try that crap
here in az
all they do is make regulr ppl madder
plus in tha phoenix area there is sherif joe
lots o room at tent city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM

358 posts, read 395,528 times
Quote:
A few weeks ago the same tactic was used in West Los Angeles outside the Federal Building when dozens of students sat down on Wilshire Blvd and blocked traffic during the rush hour. These are civil disobedience tactics that draw attention to the problem but also inconvenience regular people going about their day. Once an LA freeway was blocked\ locked down by protesters of the Iraq war and caused a traffic jam miles long. I don't think commuters were happy with the protesters even if they also opposed the Arizona law.

I think civil disobedience should be limited to Arizona not California where the state is actually leading the boycott.
Right on Sur, you are absolutely right. Goes to show the mentality and IQ f the illegal immigrant crowd. Did you see the pictures of the college students in LA protesting? I thought it was great.. white girl with a goofy smile on her face happy to be in front of the camera. I guess kids today will protest anything to be like the hippies of the 70's. I was thinking of protesting the slaughtering of animals at the shelters, will you join me?? (I'm serious).

Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,875,385 times
Anti-Arizona law protestors released from jail | law, santa, arizona - News - The Orange County Register An update,looks like those arrested were legal.Now you can see why the Calif. courts are so backed up with the tactics these people use.Notice how the "Hispanic Bar Association" denounces Arizona's Law?Aren't these members of the Bar sworn to uphold and defend the Laws of this Country?Sounds like more Ethnocentric pandering again.These protesters need to venture out of the safe Sanctuary City of Santa Ana and take their protest to Arizona where their issue is.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,174,805 times
Quote:

Sure thing...let them come here. Let's see how far they get using those tactics here.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,875,385 times
No they are already bankrupting California their giant cash cow even as LA has cut 300 classes for handicapped and blind children these idiots are biting the hand that feeds them.I say go for it all this BS is backfiring.Maybe they SHOULD visit Arizona in the height of summer to protest and end up in Sherrif Joe's Tent City,by all means go for it.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

256 posts, read 287,379 times
Book'em DAN-O!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,405,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Sure thing...let them come here. Let's see how far they get using those tactics here.
Well, don't you think it is more appropriate that civil disobedience occur where the actual dispute is occurring? During the 1960's there were civil rights demonstrations where people sat in the street or refused to leave a restaurant that wouldn't serve Black people. These protests happened in the South were discrimination was still allowed.

Now people are upset with Arizona. So why do some of them demonstrate in California? It doesn't make sense to me especially in Los Angeles where the city and county and school district have all proclaimed boycotts of Arizona. Even Santa Ana were the recent civil disobedience occurred is a "sanctuary" city officially opposed to the Arizona law. A May Day parade against Arizona turned into public vandalism in Santa Cruz when some of the protesters decided to break store windows. They should take that anger to Arizona not California.

It would be much more effective if these protest demonstrations occurred in Phoenix not Los Angeles. People here are innocent by-standers yet we have to suffer when anti-Arizona demonstrations clog up busy boulevards.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:58 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,174,805 times
Quote:
Well, don't you think it is more appropriate that civil disobedience occur where the actual dispute is occurring? During the 1960's there were civil rights demonstrations where people sat in the street or refused to leave a restaurant that wouldn't serve Black people. These protests happened in the South were discrimination was still allowed.

Now people are upset with Arizona. So why do some of them demonstrate in California? It doesn't make sense to me especially in Los Angeles where the city and county and school district have all proclaimed boycotts of Arizona. Even Santa Ana were the recent civil disobedience occurred is a "sanctuary" city officially opposed to the Arizona law. A May Day parade against Arizona turned into public vandalism in Santa Cruz when some of the protesters decided to break store windows. They should take that anger to Arizona not California.

It would be much more effective if these protest demonstrations occurred in Phoenix not Los Angeles. People here are innocent by-standers yet we have to suffer when anti-Arizona demonstrations clog up busy boulevards.
Well, I wonder how many of those protesters are people who aren't working (yet collecting their welfare checks) or college students with nothing better to do than join a cause, so they have the time to protest or lie down in streets while the rest of the country pays their way. That may be why they cannot afford to terrorize Arizona with their presence.

I think that the protests that you must deal with in California is a small price to pay for boycotting AZ. Your state has its own mess to clean up. Your state is already behind the eight ball by paying more attention to what is happening here than in your own backyards, so don't be surprised when the illegals start pouring into your state in higher numbers than usual, but you don't mind, do you?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,405,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Well, I wonder how many of those protesters are people who aren't working (yet collecting their welfare checks) or college students with nothing better to do than join a cause, so they have the time to protest or lie down in streets while the rest of the country pays their way. That may be why they cannot afford to terrorize Arizona with their presence.

I think that the protests that you must deal with in California is a small price to pay for boycotting AZ. Your state has its own mess to clean up. Your state is already behind the eight ball by paying more attention to what is happening here than in your own backyards, so don't be surprised when the illegals start pouring into your state in higher numbers than usual, but you don't mind, do you?
I'm surprised that you would ask that question since it is abundantly clear that California does not want illegal immigrants just as much as Arizona [with the exception of agriculture industry]. Nobody is advocating for an open border. This issue with Arizona has nothing to do with the border. Unfortunately the boycott is due to the bad law that Arizona foolishly passed and may put into effect in July. That's what is causing headaches even in California because it is splitting the citizens and causing demonstrations.

I think people should go to Arizona and do civil disobedience.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 PM

358 posts, read 395,528 times
Quote:

I was just thinking something... what if the troublemakers are uneducated and have no idea of state boundaries? what if they think Santa Cruz is part of Arizona? or maybe it's just decades of oppression by Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration